“Taste is individual and relative”
Review of Montanaro's

Montanaro's
Ranked #6 of 68 Restaurants in Swadlincote
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Telephone 01283 220009. Postcode DE11 0AG
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I saw all the wonderfully raving reviews of this place and thought "In Swad?!! Really?!!" So I had to give it a go.

Well I suppose it is all down to what you're used to. It's more cheap and cheerful than proper dining. The staff were great and welcoming and the food was ok, but nothing to write home about.

It focussed more on size/quantity than quality - a point never better illustrated than with the HUGE tiramisu I was served. Only a glutton would be able to eat all of that.

Maybe that is what Swad wants(?). If so, then Montanaro's gives it in spades.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Have been here quite a few times and have always enjoyed the food, the owners are lovely too...very good value lunch time menu

Reviewed January 8, 2013

The food from this small cafe a type bar is absolutely outstanding, all food is cooked fresh to order, the service is good and the prices are very reasonable, you will need to go a long way to get Italian food this good, Swadlincote deserves you. I will be back.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

First time we have tried this restaurant . Was surprised how small it was , but the staff were polite and although the menu has only so many options , once the food arrives the quality and freshness is outstanding.
I had bruschetta starter which was not just bruschetta but three different toppings nicely presented . For main I had chicken tagliatelle which tasted so wonderful I couldn't stop saying how great it was much to the annoyance of my wife.
I know the new prezzo has opened around the corner , but have read the reviews for it and unless you want to pay for fancy interior and trendy location , montanaro's has that intimate family appeal and am sure I will go again . In fact , when I do go , I will order the exact same food again.
I understand what other folk say about the cafe style , but am quite sure if they put candles on the table and tweaked a few design things and had a few theme nights - like pizza tasting night or something then this restaurant would fly .
Cost was £51 for two starters , two mains and had three large beers and shared a homemade tiramisu . Which I thought for the food quality was brilliant . Was in restaurant for hour and a half and felt that the pace was perfect and not rushed . Great night

Reviewed December 31, 2012

We have eaten here twice recently, both times have been impressed by the quality and authenticity of the food we were served. Not a huge menu which can be a good thing as it usually indicates that what you are about to eat is freshly prepared. We have eaten here at lunchtime as a couple and also as a family. We were welcomed along with a push chair. The cafe/restaurant is only tiny, small but worth going out of your way for if you truly want to eat authentic Italian food, as opposed to Italian/American chain type food.