“A little gem in every sense!!”
Review of Oldfields Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Snelston
Oldfields Farm
“A little gem in every sense!!”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

What a wonderful week we have just had! Having read excellent reviews about Oldfields Farm, I was very excited when Jan confirmed that Handel's Muse (their small converted donkey shed!) was available for the week. The farm is in a beautiful and very accessible location with plenty of parking space. We were able to store our bikes in Glyn's garage and were free to wander about the farm and orchard at our leisure.

Glyn and Jan are both warm and welcoming, clearly very proud of their property having invested their hearts and souls into the development. And so they should-it is impressive in every aspect, outside is traditional and pristine, inside is a successful balance of traditional features (wooden beams and windows) and modern decor and furnishings including a modern kitchen complete with everything from a washing machine to a bottle opener! There's also an array of maps, leaflets and books about the local area and even a decent pair of binoculars!

As well as all this, Jan's knowledge of local walks, markets and eateries helped us to plan our week with great success and we discovered places we'd never knew existed!

We wouldn't hesitate on recommending Oldfields to anyone and will return without a shadow of a doubt! Don't miss it!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank tig51

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Our booking at Oldfields Farm was a long-planned reward for what we knew would be a grueling week beforehand. What a reward it was! A wonderful welcome on arrival, a couple of peaceful evenings, delightful company from Glyn, Jan, Lydia and the dogs - all in a gem of a setting. We were cosseted at breakfast and plied with delicious food including raspberries from the garden; we were able to borrow guide books, walking maps, binoculars; we were booked into a local pub for dinner and driven there by Glyn.... Not only was nothing too much trouble, everything was offered graciously and done with sincere warmth. We are already looking forward to an opportunity to visit again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Timstravel
Brum
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We found this wonderful house by chance and loved it so much we stayed an extra day and we will be back. The owners are wonderful and have created a house which is beautifully decorated, thoughtfully appointed and in the most wonderful location. Its only an hour from Birmingham but you could be in a different country hidden down quiet narrow lanes this is the ultimate get-away.

The owners know so much about the local area, from history, nature, antiques and good food that 3 days just was not enough time. They are so generous with their time and made us feel so very welcome. We rarely say this, but we will be back and very soon, there is just so much to do, see, enjoy but most of all its a wonderful way to rest.

We can't recommend this place enough and have told all our friends that before they look at travelling hundreds of miles to find a beauty spot why not look on their doorstep.

Room Tip: They have a B&B, and 3 self catered houses of various sizes. Handels Mews is great for couples.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rbeaky
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We had only time for 2 days...but the stay in Oldfields Farm was like real holiday !
So nice, cosy and the owners are brilliant hosts ...,
hope we can be there again very soon, for longer time :)

Room Tip: "Handels Muse" is a separate building for max. 4 persons
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2012

This really was a shining example of professional mastery. Single handedly the most comprehensive personal service received - Jan and Glyn are exceptionally welcoming (Jans scones and jams are simply delightful), social, helpful and generous when it came to making our stay as restful and pleasant as possible.
Excellently located for White Peak and the charming town of Ashbourne - the hosts are full of useful local knowledge on where to go and what to see. Immaculately presented and impressively a project that supports the use of locally sourced produce and is concerned about sustainability and conservation. I can't say enough but my final comment is this is the place to stay. Thanks for a wonderful experience that I am keen to repeat.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Romsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Located downa country lane, a superb farm offering B&B and Cottages.
Excellent for the Peak District/ Alton Towers/Chatsworth/Haddon Hall. etc
Total style, immaculate and clean, this is a gem.

Room Tip: Handles Manse is a lovely cottage for couples
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2012

It was a last minute trip and I only needed the one night as I was visiting friends in Ashbourne. As I whistled along through the gorgeous Derbyshire sunny country lanes I happened upon the most charming farmhouse and couldn't believe my luck when I noticed the bed and breakfast sign. After turning into the drive I was greeted not only by the hosts charming daughter Lydia playing with her cat but buildings of such character and warmth that just propelled me to want to see more.I parked around the back by the stunning gardens which were home to a staggering amount of beautiful plants and shrubs most of which seemed to be in full bloom. There were little seats and benches in all manner of places giving a different view of the farm which I realised later had been placed to get all the best parts of the day. They even had a hot tub nestling nicely amongst the flora.I was escorted in to the main house to meet the owners Jan and Glyn.Once inside I realise that it is a home rather than a house. The furniture ,the decor are from a period long gone but so befits the style and character that the farm wears well.There are antiques,curios and art a plenty. Wherever you look there are delights to the mind and eye. Jan is a walking history book of the area and makes an engaging host who can quite easily put you right at home straight away. Talking to Glyn you can see that the farm has been a labour of love and it really does show. Before I had even seen my room for the night I had been tempted into a cream tea in my newly discovered garden heaven. Did I mention they even have a swing,which I had a quick go on after pressure from Lydia. My room for the night was across from the farm in a once again converted building which carried as much character and charm as the main buildings. It had all and more necessities and luxuries than I could have wanted. A good nights sleep is an understatement. Sunrise brought another welcoming day and a breakfast to die for. It was in the main house in their front dining room. Once again I was surrounded by antiques and treats in every corner,wooden beams and a tremendous fireplace which sadly due to our warm morning was not needed. If I had not needed to return to my urban metropolis that day I would gladly have stayed the week!!

Room Tip: My room was gorgeous but I got a peek at the others and they are all of a similar high standard..
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Snelston
Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club
#1 of 1 in Bradley
Bentley Brook Inn
Bentley Brook Inn
#1 of 3 in Fenny Bentley

Been to Oldfields Farm? Share your experiences!