“Chris and Kate”
Review of Oldfields Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Snelston
Oldfields Farm
Reviewed July 4, 2012

This really was a shining example of professional mastery. Single handedly the most comprehensive personal service received - Jan and Glyn are exceptionally welcoming (Jans scones and jams are simply delightful), social, helpful and generous when it came to making our stay as restful and pleasant as possible.
Excellently located for White Peak and the charming town of Ashbourne - the hosts are full of useful local knowledge on where to go and what to see. Immaculately presented and impressively a project that supports the use of locally sourced produce and is concerned about sustainability and conservation. I can't say enough but my final comment is this is the place to stay. Thanks for a wonderful experience that I am keen to repeat.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 2, 2012

Located downa country lane, a superb farm offering B&B and Cottages.
Excellent for the Peak District/ Alton Towers/Chatsworth/Haddon Hall. etc
Total style, immaculate and clean, this is a gem.

Room Tip: Handles Manse is a lovely cottage for couples
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2012

It was a last minute trip and I only needed the one night as I was visiting friends in Ashbourne. As I whistled along through the gorgeous Derbyshire sunny country lanes I happened upon the most charming farmhouse and couldn't believe my luck when I noticed the bed and breakfast sign. After turning into the drive I was greeted not only by the hosts charming daughter Lydia playing with her cat but buildings of such character and warmth that just propelled me to want to see more.I parked around the back by the stunning gardens which were home to a staggering amount of beautiful plants and shrubs most of which seemed to be in full bloom. There were little seats and benches in all manner of places giving a different view of the farm which I realised later had been placed to get all the best parts of the day. They even had a hot tub nestling nicely amongst the flora.I was escorted in to the main house to meet the owners Jan and Glyn.Once inside I realise that it is a home rather than a house. The furniture ,the decor are from a period long gone but so befits the style and character that the farm wears well.There are antiques,curios and art a plenty. Wherever you look there are delights to the mind and eye. Jan is a walking history book of the area and makes an engaging host who can quite easily put you right at home straight away. Talking to Glyn you can see that the farm has been a labour of love and it really does show. Before I had even seen my room for the night I had been tempted into a cream tea in my newly discovered garden heaven. Did I mention they even have a swing,which I had a quick go on after pressure from Lydia. My room for the night was across from the farm in a once again converted building which carried as much character and charm as the main buildings. It had all and more necessities and luxuries than I could have wanted. A good nights sleep is an understatement. Sunrise brought another welcoming day and a breakfast to die for. It was in the main house in their front dining room. Once again I was surrounded by antiques and treats in every corner,wooden beams and a tremendous fireplace which sadly due to our warm morning was not needed. If I had not needed to return to my urban metropolis that day I would gladly have stayed the week!!

Room Tip: My room was gorgeous but I got a peek at the others and they are all of a similar high standard..
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I booked the farmhouse B&B room for a relative visiting from Canada. I had made the booking based on the reviews I had read on tripadvisor, so I had high hopes of something special. However, it is not often that your expectations are totally surpassed by the reality. Jan, Glyn and Lydia have created a very special place at Oldfields Farm, which being close to my own home, I will have no hesitation in recommending to family and friends in the future.

The room is beautifully and tastefully furnished and the en-suite is spacious and sumptuous. Simply,it is the best B&B room I have ever seen anywhere.

On arrival, we were offered date and walnut scones with whisky marmalade and jersey cream. The scones were warm, fresh from the oven - heaven!!

Breakfast is a feast of breads, fruits, compotes, yoghurt, juices. Jan (a non meat eater) even went out of her way to serve up a much longed for 'Full English' for my relative.

Jan and Glyn looked after my relative as if they had known him a lifetime. I even arrived one morning to find Glyn helping my relative to put his socks on !!

If you are considering making a booking at Oldfields Farm, I would strongly suggest you do not hesitate. You will NOT be disappointed!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Oldfields Farm is a beautiful, relaxing place to stay set in gorgeous surroundings. Jan, Glyn and Lydia were perfect hosts and made us feel very welcome on our stay. We were treated so well and loved the extra touches that made our 50th wedding anniversery so special!
We stayed in Gorsey Hayes which was immaculate in every way, we will definitely be back.

Thank you Jan Glyn and Lydia for our memorable weekend. X

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We came in for a wedding late May. Our stay was a brief 4 days but this truly was the highlight of our vacation. We couldn't have hoped for a more idyllic setting. We arrived rather late at night (didn't realize Midlands was a closer airport!) but our hosts were understanding of our folly. They went above and beyond to make our stay comfortable allowing us easy access to come & go as we pleased which was quite an advantage as we did get back late from the wedding activities.

We rather enjoyed our morning breakfast chats with Jan and her dad. She charted out our tourist route and even ever so kindly jotted down the names for us on paper. Chatsworth House (The Duchess with Kiera Knightly was filmed here), Haddon Hall (Elizabeth was filmed here) were our favorites. Do try Bakewell for the tart & pudding. She even gave us guidance on shopping! Great restaurant recommendations too.

We loved the scented yogurts garnished with home grown rose petals & lavender. And the rhubarb compote that Glenn had made was excellent too. It was lovely also to have a whole pot of tea to myself! :-)

The rooms are beautifully decorated and very comfortable. The bathrooms are very modern and rather posh. This is a painstakingly restored home and the attention to detail and history is something that interested us very much. We highly recommend this place. You'll come away refreshed and it's the perfect little hub for an English countryside tour.

Cheers!
Sean & Avanie Trovato

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I visited in May 2012 with my partner and young son (3). In brief this place is a gem!
We stayed in Handels Muse a self contained barn furnished with beautiful fabrics, charming accessories and contemporary appliances. The barn itself is one loved building which wants for nothing (if you appreciate old wood, bespoke windows and revived agricultural artifacts you will be in heaven). The attention to detail is exceptional and throughout.
On arrival we were warmly greeted by the family, we then tucked into our cream scones (even though it was early evening we couldnt resist). Jan and Glyn were lovely and instantly made us feel welcome. I cant recommend this place highly enough.

passionate

The place is truely fascinating and if you like beatiful attention to detail then you will fall in love with this place. Everything has been given so much care and attention from the brought back to lifeowners were warm and welcoming and passionate.

Room Tip: We had our 3year old with us and Handels Muse was perfect-it was beautifully furnished however the a...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Oldfields Farm? Share your experiences!