“A peaceful place in the country”
Review of Oldfields Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Snelston
Oldfields Farm
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Handels Muse cottage was recommended to us by friends who had visited last year and it certainly didn't disappoint. To be greeted with homemade scones and jam with clotted cream and butter was heaven after a long drive was heaven. The cottage, furnishings and facilities were superb and the cleanliness was second to none. Jan, Glyn and Lydia were charming hosts and we have Jan to thank for all her chats on the history of Oldfields Farm and surrounding area. Also the abundance of information from her of where to visit. Considering the weather was rather cold for the time of year the cottage was beautifully warm and cosy. It was a wonderful week.

Room Tip: Whatever type of board you choose eg: self-catering or B & B the setting is beautiful and peacef...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 20, 2012

Oldfields Farm is undoubtedly the best B+B in which I've ever stayed.

I was in the area for a wedding but needed somewhere peaceful and quiet to be able to concentrate on some work over the weekend as well. Peace is something Oldfields can provide in abundance, being set in stunning countryside and enclosed in beautiful gardens lovingly designed and tended by the proprietor Jan,

From the moment I arrived, nothing was too much trouble, from help with my bags to setting me up with wifi (it didn't work but that was my laptop's fault not Oldfields' fault!). They even offered to drive me to the wedding, and offered me a taste of their homemade sloe gin when they were opening some for themselves.

The B+B room in the farmhouse was exquisitely decorated with antique furniture (Jan is something of an expert) interspersed with more contemporary yet sympathetic pieces. The king-size sleigh bed with sumptuous bedsheets was one of the most comfy I've ever slept in. Everything about the room was utter luxury, from the Denby china to the Molton Brown shower gel to the crystal glassware. Which brings me onto the bathroom. Wow! It was huge for a start and featured not only a massive shower with multiple massage jets but a giant jacuzzi bathtub as well.

Jan and Glyn provide afternoon tea for their guests on arrival, and it was delicious! Homemade scones with homemade jam and marmalade, the latter being laced with Glyn's best Scotch and definitely the yummiest I've ever tasted. The scones were warm, light and fluffy. Jan has some real baking talent. Along with the fresh fruit and lashings of tea, I came away very full!

Breakfast too was very generous- it was the best continental I'd ever had. There was Greek yoghurt with rose petals from the garden, a peach and strawberry compote, once again made by Jan, croissants and toasts made from artisan breads (I highly recommend the pikelets and the seeded!) as well as fruits, juices and cereals.

Glyn and Jan bend over backwards at every turn to look after every last detail, and take the time to understand their guests' preferences. They were the perfect hosts, along with their delightful daughter/assistant Lydia. Throughout my weekend there, I kept thinking that there is something particularly special about Oldfields, something that gives it that special 'X-factor.' It was only as I was driving away that I realised what it was.

Love.

Oldfields is a reflection of the Graysons' love for what they do, and you can feel it in every single in every inch of the place.

I will definitely be returning. I can't recommend it enough.

Room Tip: I was lucky enough to have a tour of the two self catering properties, which are both as beautiful a...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 17, 2012

On arrival at Oldfields Farm I was very impressed with the external view.
When I went inside I was welcomed by the friendly proprietors Glyn and Jan and Lydia who provided tea with scones and jam and cream
I was shown to the most beautiful room for my two night stay which was very comfortable with cleanliness second to none
Continental breakfast was served with fresh fruit, yogurts etc a feast indeed
I would and have recommended this B and B to friends and colleagues with whom I work
Would I stay at Oldfields Farm again – Definitely

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed April 28, 2012

We found Oldfields online whilst looking for a place to stay while visiting friends in Derby. It was a one-off visit to a part of a country that we were unfamiliar with. We came away falling in love with the Derbyshire countryside and Oldfields itself and we will definitely find plenty of excuses to return. We stayed in the Bed and Breakfast room which was very comfortable and beautifully decorated- lots of lovely little touches! There was even a file full of flyers and articles about the area from which we took a lot of inspiration for our stay. The Breakfast was delicious- I highly recommend the cranberry and pecan toast. After our day exploring Glyn not only booked a local pub for us but also drove us there which was exceptionally kind. He really showed the true meaning of customer service and we came away relaxed, rejuvenated and very well fed!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Oldfields farm is in the most beautiful part of the country, a place that is very dear to us. We stayed in Handles Muse with our two children and it was perfect. The accommodation is exceptionally clean, well equipped and comfortable. The farm has been restored lovingly, and you just can,t beat the countryside. We hope to be back next year.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We stayed in the b&b room in the farmhouse & it was absolutely lovely. A lot of thought has clearly gone into the room & en suite. It's spotless & has been beautifully decorated. Jan is such a friendly & thoughtful host - clearly in her element running the b&b which can be seen by how good she is at doing so. Glyn gave us a lift to a nearby pub for dinner which was such a kind gesture & Lydia was a very polite & helpful waitress! We stayed for 2 nights & went for a long bike ride 1 day & were very grateful for the relaxing jacuzzi bath at the end of the day! Best b&b I've stayed in with wonderful hosts & beautiful surroundings. Cant wait to return & try Handels Muse :) Many thanks to Jan, Glyn & Lydia from Carolyn & Jon x

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed at Handel's Muse on Oldfields Farm over Christmas, and we couldn't have asked for a better break. Jan and Glyn had paid attention to the smallest detail (we had our 1 year old with us and Jan had child-proofed everything as well as have a little teddy waiting for her when we arrived!).

I can honestly say that we've never stayed anywhere where the owner has been so welcoming and helpful. From the freshly made scones (which were delicious) and the bottle of mulled wine to the Christmas card that was slipped under our door on Christmas day - our stay was special and we were made to feel special.

We'd love to go back. It's a great place to unwind, and nearby Ashbourne is a lovely town.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Snelston
The Station Hotel
Peveril of the Peak Hotel
Holly Meadow Farm
Holly Meadow Farm
#1 of 1 in Bradley

Been to Oldfields Farm? Share your experiences!