“Lovely romantic retreat”

and 1 more site!
Dannah Farm Country House
Ranked #1 of 1 Shottle B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 8, 2013

A very relaxing break in the Granary Suite. Lovely, spacious, clean and luxurious room with a private bath tub (a fabulous feature), excellent breakfast and highly recommend the evening food platter.

This B&B is by no means faultless, but it is not a 5 star hotel, it’s a 5 star B&B which is family run. Taking this into account, some of the improvements that could be made can also be excused. The owners do try very hard to make this a romantic, relaxing getaway.

We ran out of hot water which was disappointing, but once we told the staff they swiftly found an alternative until the hot water was replenished. The hook in the bathroom for robes kept falling off the wall, some of the attachments within the shower and also the Jacuzzi bath fell off too. The phone in our room did not work. There is a charge for drinking your own wine etc. in your room, which at the premium price of the room seems a bit mean.

The staff were lovely, very nice and helpful girls. My only criticism was at breakfast, when taking our order the owner seems to want it immediately without giving us any time to think about what we would like. It would be better if he offered to ‘come back in a few minutes’.

Room Tip: If you would like a Jacuzzi bath, a further bathroom downstairs and a private hot-tub, ask for the G...
2  Thank hertfordshireSarah
Ravensett, Owner at Dannah Farm Country House, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Thank you for your review which has been very helpful. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us on the whole and we have addressed the points raised - sometimes if no one lets us know of problems they are experiencing it can be a while before we "catch up" As you mentioned and obviously realised , we are indeed a family run B&B on a working farm - and are rated 5 gold stars by the AA - but - for guest accommodation, not hotels. Occasionally, and understandably, many guests are confused by the two! Hotels are rated on a completely different system which can be hard to understand by the proprietors, never mind the guests!(And - I have told Martin off for being too eager at breakfast - you can tell by looking at him he likes his food)!!!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed here last year for three nights in the red room. The room was fantastic and the extra touches like iPod dock and honesty bar were nice. The bathroom although small was great and the roll top bath was a treat to relax in after a fun packed day at Alton towers. The decor and beams were tasteful as was the lounge area. But probably the best bit about the stay has to be the breakfasts and the friendly service - Simply enormous, delicious and served with a smile. The homemade bread, in particular the fruit bread was amazing. The only reason I can't give a full five star rating is down to the loaction. You have to drive everywhere or get taxi's. Maybe if the weather had been better and we could have walked then it might have scored a five - I'll let you know after the next visit.... ;-)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi - I am so pleased you enyoyed your stay in The Red Room and we do hope we will be able to welcome you back again. It is such a pity the weather wasn't very good when you visited as our location is generally one of the things our guests really enjoy when staying at Dannah - but - as everywhere - when the sun shines it does make such a difference! Hopefully the weather will be kinder next time!

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We recently stayed in the Granary Room for our anniversary. It was a surprise getaway for my Husband so I was a little nervous. This place had been recommended and I had read the reviews 100 times over so maybe I was too-enthusiastic. Don't get me wrong, the place was total peace and quiet and our room was nice except for the fact that we couldn't sit downstairs as the sofa was simply a park bench with a throw-over and the 2 chairs that were located in front of the TV were not the most comfortable, so for the time we wanted watch the TV/DVD's we had to sit on the bed upstairs, which was a shame becuase I had booked for romantic luxury so maybe I chose the wrong room! The hot tub was a nice treat though and the Granary was always warm. The bathroom was full of modern taps and a large walk in shower which was nice and the bed was totally luxurious. No expense had been spared on the bed linen and towels - all John Lewis. However, when I read about being greeted on arrival with home made cakes and tea - that certainly didn't happen! The only time we saw anyone was when our order for breakfast was taken (which was delicious) and when we had to find someone to pay on our departure. Surely for the amount of money we paid, a little meet and greet would not go amiss?

1  Thank Fordy1205
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I booked the Studio Hideaway as a complete surprise for my husbands 41st birthday - no small feat with a couple of small children to leave behind!
I read a couple of the more animated reviews just before we left and must confess that I was a little nervous.
My fears were completely unfounded : we were greeted warmly and shown immediately to our room , lovely tea and cakes were served within 10 minutes , the room was beautiful - exactly as it looked on the website . Supper platter was a sight to behold ! Hot tub was great and the breakfast was fantastic and perfectly enormous !
Our experience was exactly what we were looking for and I would not hesitate to recommend Dannah Farm to anyone and indeed I may already have done ! Thanks again , discreet but timely service , pure luxury !

Room Tip: You cant beat having your own hot tub! Well worth the extra £
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed at Dannah Farm for our Minimoon.
The hotel was beautiful and facilities luxurious without being pretentious - The bathroom was beautiful!
The info pack was handy for general information - including local places to eat etc, and in the main sitting rooms there was info on country walks and places to visit - which was great as we had never been to Derbyshire before!
The breakfast was seriously good - freshly cooked, so a slight wait, but worth it! The sausages and black pudding was outstanding!
We were left to our own devices thought our stay, we loved that we could come and go as we pleased, we only saw the staff when we wanted to find them, and they conduct themselves so discreetly - perfect for a romantic stay!
Only one small criticism, the chemicals in the hot tub on day1 and then again on day3 were so overpowering, it burnt our eyes and made staying in the tub virtually impossible. I understand having to refreshing them between guests, but surely it is not necessary to refresh it every 48 hours with the same guests staying? It was very disappointing, as the hot tub was a main reason for booking this hotel!

Overall a beautiful stay.
Thank you Dannah Farm!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We had a midweek stay at Dannah farm as wanted something special for a quiet weekend away. We stayed in the studio hideaway as wanted to use the hot tub. The room itself was a bit small but it did create an intimate secluded feel which we were after. The hot tub was amazing. It was great to sit in the hot tub with a glass of wine after a good days walking in the local countryside. There was a selection of DVDs to choose from in the room too
The breakfast was fantastic, loads of choice & locally sourced produce. We also tried the supper platter one evening which was superb. A wide range of meats, salad & cheeses which tasted great after a day out walking.
The owners were really friendly & made us feel very welcome.
Yes, this is more expensive than your average B&B but I think that B&Bs are not that cheap these days so its worth paying the extra to get a better standard of B&B.
This B&B is perfect if you want a totally relaxing few days away from it all.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We booked the Dannah on a personal recommendation so we had great expectations. I wanted somewhere special for my birthday and having stayed in some top end hotels across the world, I was interested to see what a top priced b&b could offer. The farm is what it is, its a farm! In a pretty valley on the edge of the peak district. On arrival we were shown to our room by a young, very polite but uninformed young lady (who didn't know the weather report though heavy snow had been forecast). We stayed in the Studio which had a downstairs sitting area and bedroom upstairs with a hot tub on the deck. let's face it, if you want romantic, who wouldn't want secluded room with a hot tube on the deck? We were supplied with lovely home-made scones and tea on arrival which was a nice touch, and the tea/coffee selection in the room was good with a stand alone coffee maker. The rooms are small but with tasteful shabby chic furnishings and the bed was particularly comfortable with a pillow top mattress which I would expect in top end accommodation. The hot tub was nice, warm and with robes and slippers supplied, everything you could ask for. The breakfast fresh and plentiful served in a pleasant farmhouse dining room. My only gripe and one that blew the experience for me was that the windowless bathroom, advertised with full shower and body jets, had a good amount of mould in the tile grout and at £200+ per night is, in my opinion, inexcusable at this price point. I bought this up with the owner at check out who seemed unconcerned and said he would "get it sorted". It didn't spoil the weekend but certainly detracted from the "special occasion" feel the owners are aiming for. There are far better B&B's with similar hospitality at much more realistic prices. So would I recommend Dannah Farm? Yes, but with reservations and if you want to spend £250 a night and really have a first class experience, there are far better alternatives.

Room Tip: The studio is dark and small but with the bonus of a separate bedroom and hot tub outside on a priva...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nbutler4

Been to Dannah Farm Country House? Share your experiences!