“How Many Stars?!?”

Ranked #1 of 1 Shottle B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“How Many Stars?!?”
Reviewed October 15, 2007

I was very much looking forward to the good old country hospitality promised by this five star farmhouse luxury B&B. Alas – did not meet the owners at all, not even sure who they were – or where. This place felt very much like it was being run to fleece the travellers. There was a hefty rule book in the over-decorated and cramped living room of our “cottage” to make certain that we understood our place as guests well and truly.

I could go on and on about the sub-standard conditions of this place but the more important question is – how on earth can this fusty, crowded and unfriendly place call itself “five-star” – BEWARE – all is not as it seems. If you can find somewhere else to stay in the lovely Peak District – do so! Final word of warning – do not try and ask for anything out of the ordinary as it causes a terrible fuss.

Sorry, Dannah Farm, perhaps you are better dealing with livestock. All the best!

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
8 Thank gulliverLondon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2007

Dannah Farm was recommended to me by the groom of the wedding i attended on friday 14/9, the wedding guests were travelling from all over the uk and europe and were accomodated in many of the outer lying areas of Shottle, i called the Dannah Farm after having reviewed the other B&Bs, on seeing the beautiful location and the rooms available i felt that this was the place for me. On arrival i was greeted by a very helpful young lady who showed me to my room (the Garden room) and offered fresh tea/coffee, this was accompanied by a plate of various goodies and homemade cakes, the room was outstanding, the decor truely tranquil, and the facilites boundless, wireless broadband, dvd player, cd/radio, senseo coffee machine, iron, hairdryer, clothes brush and the bathroom, well, the spa bath is fabulous, my thurday evening arrival was faultless, and very relaxing after the harresing drive. Breakfast friday morning was excellent, 2 fried eggs and fresh mushrooms served piping hot with a huge pot of coffee and very friendly staff , i had requested no chambermaid service until 2pm (wedding time) and this was duly given to me with no interuptions (apart from a bit of a laugh witht the window cleaner), this morning (feeling slightly hung over!) the service was equally as helpfull, with yet again a good breakfast. This is a B&B with a difference, i would recommend the Dannah Farm to anyone looking for a quiet, peaceful couple of days in the Derbyshire countryside. I look forward to my next occasion to stay. Best Wishes to Mr & Mrs Slack for all their help and hospitality.

• Liked — The Garden Room and the views
  • Disliked — the narrow lanes to the farm in the dark!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2007

On arriving we were shown to our room which, for reference, was the Garden Room. The owner offered us tea, cake and biscuits in our room or in the lounge.

The room was as advertised on their web-site. There were the extras one would expect. Also the room contained a flat screen TV with a DVD player. There were a selection of DVDs in the lounge which were brought to our attention when we were shown around. Considering the rain during the weekend that was a useful addition. There were also plenty of books and magazines available. The spa bath was excellent and not like some so called spa baths that I have used at other places.

Breakfast was excellent and to conclude, for the price, we thought Dannah Farm was good value for money.

One has to summise that the people that have given Dannah Farm poor reviews had personal issues that need resolving!

We found all staff friendly and welcoming. Thank you.

• Stayed July 2007
UK
Reviewed June 27, 2007

My boyfriend booked this place as a surprise for my birthday - I wished we had stayed at home and used the exorbitant cost to have a few great nights out there!

The trip was a surprise for me, so nothing had been arranged for the day following our stay, but as we were so close to Alton Towers I decided that would be a great birthday treat - pretending to be ten again!

As the tickets are so costly to get in nowadays (£32 each if you just turn up!), we really wanted to benefit from one of those 'pay for one adult, another goes free' type of deals you see everywhere, especially after I found out how much the room had cost!! Dubai has cheaper 7* rooms!!

We called Dannah as we were driving up and asked if they had a computer we could use to find something when we got there, but was told they had one themselves, but that we could not use it. We asked if they might be able to have a quick look for us, and was told to "Ask the husband when you get here, he might be able to help". Have to say I wasn't blown away by this.

When we got there, we did ask the husband if he could help, (sorry can't remember names, it wasn't a trip I was eager to recall!) and the response was so non-committal as to be basically rude. We were told, well, yes I guess I could have a look for you, but that was it, and although we pressed a little, the lack of desire to help was coming off in such large waves we almost drowned. There then appeared another hapless guest who wanted seeing to, so that was as far as it went - we had our room key, and were left with a "See you at breakfast" parting comment - so obviously no help was going to be forthcoming there, he couldn't get away quick enough.

We had also found out earlier that day that the restaurant wasn't bothering to open that night - shame it doesn't say anything about 'Open when we feel like it' on the website. As it turned out, this was a huge blessing in disguise. When we enquired as to where we could eat then, as we really wanted somewhere special, not just standard pub fare, we were given the spectacularly offhand piece of advice to "look on our website". As this just gives the standard "Good food, 5 minutes away" guff, with no personal comments whatsoever, we found this unsurprisingly no help at all.

Faced with this lack of personal recommendation, we literally plumped for the first on the list, the Bear Inn. We wanted to take the rare opportunity to have an 'alcoholic beverage or two' :o) together, as inevitably at home one or other of us has to drive, but when we called for a cab at around 7.20pm, we were told we would have to wait until about 8.15pm for it to arrive. We tried the other numbers given in the room guide but with similar luck. We considered asking the owners for assistance, but decided not to waste our breath, judging by the 'help' received thus far. As we were both starving and thought we had allowed plenty of time by booking a table for 8pm, we were then left with a decision to make - should one of us drive, or should we walk - after all the guide said it was only 5 minutes' away.

Thank god we didn't walk - we would have taken hours!! It was actually a good ten-minute drive, so the owners had obviously not even bothered to get that right. My luckless boyfriend got the job - well it was my birthday! - but once we managed to find it - with no directions to help - it was the best bit of our whole stay. If you do make the mistake of staying here in the future by believing some of the utter rubbish written on here (I wonder who by?), at least go The Bear to eat - it will probably be your best decision - just make sure you order a cab the day before. Not massively cheap, about £45 for the two of us to have three courses and a few drinks, but definitely a mega cut above the usual pub food and well worth it - and a truly superb selection of 15 desserts to end on!! Gorgeous ;o)

About the only thing left to say about Dannah - the next day I wouldn't have fed the incorrectly much-vaunted breakfast to my dog. After having to get up early to be there for 9am, their latest service time - not exactly a lie-in I didn't think on a non-work day! - god did I wish I hadn't bothered - McDonald's would have been more palatable!

Absolutely cremated mushrooms - you know when you can't get rid of the taste of charcoal for hours?! - dry bacon, a little widdley sausage, one (very) fried egg and a supposedly grilled tomato - and with no baked beans, this was so dry as to be completely inedible. Had to fill up on the few bits of toast given, but to be honest by now all I wanted to do was get home - you could say I had lost all desire to go to Alton Towers.

I really felt my birthday was completely ruined by the disgracefully offhand management here. NOT somewhere to go if you expect the slightest help with your holiday - and at these prices, that should be the minimum you receive, for what is basically a very over-priced (I estimate by three times) farm B&B - with no dinner option. Seriously, how this place got 5 diamonds I will NEVER know - but I shall certainly never trust a rating again.

Almost forgot - don't bother bringing anything to drink, or eat, in your rooms - apparently "because Dannah have a restaurant (huh!!) and alcohol licence, we ask you not to bring any food or drink with you" - I kid you not. They do allow you to buy from them, of course - at prices completely as you'd expect from the room cost - outrageous.

Thank you Dannah, for a birthday to forget - and as you wrote in response to another bad review, no my boyfriend and I hadn't had a fight, or had any other issue - you were just the pits!

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — The attitude of the owners!
9 Thank Highestofstandards
Ravensett, Owner. at Dannah Farm Country House, responded to this review, June 30, 2007
I was almost tempted not to reply at all to this review, but on balance, decided to just make a few points, as some of the comments are not just personal observations, but are in fact incorrect and could be misleading.

1. The main problem with these guests was our failure to procure half price Alton Towers tickets for them. We do not have a general computer for guests use, although we do have free broadband access for guests with their own computers. When these guests arrived, although I had said over the telephone that we would look on our computer for cheap tickets for them, their arrival unfortunately coincided with the arrival of several other visitors. Martin was busy showing up guests and making them trays of tea and coffee, and, quite simply, he forgot. We are human after all! The question was not asked again and I thought no more of it. To be honest, I hadn't realised it was so important.

2. Our restaurant wasn't closed on that evening, we don't have a restaurant here. As it quite clearly states in all our information, we offer a set meal most evenings by prior arrangement for the convenience of our guests who do not want to eat out. However, as all our food is freshly cooked, it also clearly states that we ask for 24 hours notice if guests would like dinner. I don't think this is unreasonable, and if guests haven't ordered dinner, we are very lucky to have some wonderful eating out places fairly close by. These guests were given our information when they arrived on eating out, which we compile and print ourselves.
These places are ALL our personal recommendations - as a family we use each and every one of them from time to time, and would not dream of putting any place on our list we were not confident of. Perhaps this is why The Bear was such a success, and these guests enjoyed it so much?
This guide gives a short description of the places we are recommending and also states how long it will take to DRIVE to them. In the case of The Bear, a 5 minutes DRIVE. Our room information also carries a detailed map of these pubs and restaurants, and their proximity to us.
(Also, one other factual correction, the lady will find, if she asks her partner, that he, (Mr Young), spoke to Martin and got detailed directions to the Bear before they left).

3. I shan't defend my breakfasts too much, but leave any prospective guests to decide for themselves. However, I would just say that these guests had two full poached breakfasts, which do indeed come with grilled tomatoes. (I particularly remember because the lady asked for vinegar with her poached eggs which I thought was a little odd). Unless guests ask otherwise, all breakfasts come with two eggs, and have done for the last 20 years. Quite where this lady had one (very) fried egg, I'm not sure, but it wasn't at Dannah Farm!

4. Guests are asked not to bring food into Dannah Farm, as take-aways etc., can leave unpleasant odours which is not nice for the next visitors. We are licensed, and I think this lady will find that most places holding a liquor license do not allow guests to take in thier own drinks. (Most people, presumably, wouldn't take their own beer into a pub)!

5. My ambition, when I win the lottery, is to book in at the Burj Al Arab in Dubai. (7 star Dubai). It costs £1016 - £2032 per night. Slightly more than Dannah Farm and a little too rich for my blood, but one day.....

Two final points, I was going to keep this short & sweet, but I can't help myself.

We provide lots of consumables in the rooms which our guests are free to use or take away. Needless to say, these guests took everything, down to the last sachet of tea, (and I mean everything)!! The thing that amused us the most though was the fact that they had emptied the full, large, liquid hand soap - down the sink, as punishment for not providing Alton Towers tickets? Or, do they carry round a receptacle when travelling to decant hand soap into?

Finally, a plea to trip - advisor. Have you ever considered starting a review page about guests? Most of our visitors are lovely people, but there are a few......

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2007

We stayed here to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. We were spending the week visiting friends in the East Midlands and decided to have a night in a romantic B&B.

Shotte is located conveniently for exploring the Derbyshire Dales and the cities of Derby & Nottingham.

The Dannah is secluded, luxurious and exclusive. Each room has its own individual theme and we stayed in the Red Room. It is located above the dining room and is huge. It has an LCD TV, tea & coffee facilities and an en-suite bathroom with a double freestanding victorian bath.

The bed is comically large with 4 sleeper posts. I thought that I was sleeping on my own.

Dinner was a set menu affair and had a selection that I would not normally pick. The wine list was excellent.

Breakfast was good, as one would expect for the price.

The Dannah is expensive but you get what you pay for and represented much better value for money than the West End hotel that we stayed in the week before.

1 Thank Clerkenwell
Fareham
Reviewed June 7, 2007

Firstly, sorry about the late review - meant to do it much sooner! Me and my girlfriend spontaneously booked a one night stay in the studio hideaway on Tuesday 3rd April 2007 to celebrate my birthday and get away from work stress. From the initial enquiry over the phone the staff were pleasant and helpful (apologies but can't remember any names, although all staff were wonderful) and were able to give me the room on the same day - lucky!

We arrived at about 5 in the evening and were met with a pleasant courtyard with several doors leading off. After parking the car we carried our bag into the reception area where a log fire was burning, and then led to the Studio Hideaway.

After being led through a private door off the courtyard, we found ourselves in what appeared to be a cosy reception area, but was in fact the ground floor of the room, arranged like a small sitting room with a large couch, door leading to the bathroom, patio door leading out onto the private patio (with hot tub!) and a cast iron spiral staircase leading up to the bedroom. We were brought a pot of tea and several slices of cake as well as an information folder providing details on what dinner would be that night as well as a list of local pubs and restaurants with directions. Our hostess also gave us a personal recommendation of 'The Bear' pub, which we ended up going to that evening.

The bathroom was spacious with a huge walk in shower, great pressure and temperature, as well as jets. The private patio is fenced in, with a great view over the hills and obviously the great hot tub, which we used 3 times in 24 hours!! Finally was the bedroom, with a huge 6ft square bed, wall mounted flatscreen tv (not garish or intrusive), freeview box, dvd player, beautiful furniture, original wooden beamed ceiling, a skylight (with blackout blind and curtains, and a great view over the beautiful countryside.

As mentioned we decided to venture out to the Bear Inn for our evening meal, despite the nice meal on offer from Dannah farm. For a total cost of about £45 we enjoyed a fantastic 3 course meal which we thoroughly enjoyed.

Breakfast the next day was fantastic - a delicious non-greasy full english, cereal, toast, tea - all included in the price. We later checked out, and left our car in the car park for a couple of hours while we went on a walk. There are about a dozen walks detailed out in a folder in the reception room varying in length, printed out several times so you can take a sheet with you. This attention to detail really is great to see.

We had an absolutely wonderful stay at Dannah farm and will definately be returning in the near future. Priced slightly more that other B & B's, but for the exceptional surroundings and service, it is most definately worth it.

• Liked — Hot tub
  • Disliked — nothing
5 Thank johnnybgoode85
Austin, TX
Reviewed April 28, 2007

My sister, my friend and I, all Americans, chose to visit Derbyshire and our driver guide selected Dannah Country House for us. It is one of the best B&B's we've ever stayed in and was a perfect location for visiting the sights that so many Americans never get to see-Hadddon House, Chatsworth, Hardwick Hall, etc. Dannah is in the country on a farm with lots of animals outdoors and elegance inside. Our 3 rooms were superb and the meals we ate there could not have been better. The lady in charge loves to cook and it shows in the melt in your mouth menus. And they were so accommodating. One morning we showed up for breakfast an hour early and were received graciously. Another day we wanted to walk the country lanes and they had a guide for us to take, typed and ready. It was a perfect 4 days! We were truly sad to wave goodbye to them on the last morning!! Thank you Dannah Country House!!

• Liked — Elegant rooms, gourmet food, location in country near sights
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank Robinhoodsmaid
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shottle
Casa Hotel
#1 of 2 in Belper
Bagshaw Hall
Bagshaw Hall
#3 of 6 in Bakewell

Been to Dannah Farm Country House? Share your experiences!