Best Western Premier East Midlands Airport Yew Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kegworth
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Excellent Spa Break”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

My partner and I booked a 2 night spa break courtesy of spa breaks.com, in April 2014. This hotel and it's staff made our stay welcoming, relaxing and a pampered experience. Our meals were included in the package and were all very well presented and freshly prepared. Our room was beautiful and bathroom very nice. We would recommend all aspects of this hotel; staff, facilities, food, parking, rooms and atmosphere. Many thanks to all.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
GMYewLodge, Manager at Best Western Premier East Midlands Airport Yew Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Beckywirral2014

Thank you for your great review and we are all pleased you had an excellent spa break.

I will ensure your thanks gets passed around the team and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Chris.trow@yewlodgehotel.co.uk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2014

This is a well located hotel, ideal for airport and road connection. Booked for a night away as a couple, somewhere different. We were allocated a room on the first floor but upon reaching it, it wasn't what should have been expected, the room had had a strange odour and put both of us off. Enough to walk straight out and back to reception. The assistant was very helpful and offered an alternative room (435) which was very much appreciated and somewhat fortunate as the hotel seemed full that day! The new room was much better, no bizarre smell and roomier too as it was a family room.

The restaurant experience was reasonable, I thought a little overpriced, but it was late evening so decided to give it try. I'm sorry to say that for the first time in my life I had to send back a dish, it was beef and absolutely rock hard. The staff again fully understood and changed it for another option which was far better and actually enjoyed.

The hotel in general with exception of the spa was a little dated and could do with a refresh; I would start with the room carpets and mattresses.

Overall a nice stay for us, a couple of issues which were sorted without any problems.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear GazRoz

Thank you for your detailed review of the hotel. I am pleased that once the initial issues were dealt with you enjoyed your stay.

I am sorry that you did have some issues but and pleased that the team dealt with this immediately and ensured that even when full and busy they made sure that you were happy.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future,

United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We chose this Hotel to stay prior to going to see the Motor Racing at Castle Donnington .
Although it is slightly further away than some other budget hotels serving the course and the airport, it was well worth the extra couple of miles.
It was comfortable with a friendly and helpful staff, epitomised by Amy in the restaurant.
Well worth considering if you are going to the course, or flying from East Midlands Airport.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Simplesimon_13

Thank you for your review after your recent stay while visiting the track. I am pleased you came slightly further away from the track to try us and extremely happy that you found it well worth the extra miles.

I will pass your comment on to Amy who will be thrilled that she was mentioned.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the close future.

Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

A fantastic way to start the holiday great service great food ,very knowledgable staff on the desk ,great shuttle service to the nearby airport both going and return.
Five star service and staff with safe car parking without Five star cost brilliant

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Simon J
Dear Simon J

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a great review after your recent five star experience.

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Penzance, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We were working and the hotel was very helpful in providing the environment we required. They provided a meeting room on several occasions. Suzanne's service, with our lunch order, was exceptional. Many thanks, Suzanne.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
GMYewLodge, Manager at Best Western Premier East Midlands Airport Yew Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Paul D

Thank you for your lovely review after your lunch experience.

I am pleased to read that Suzanne looked after you well and I will ensure she is made aware.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Scotland
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We visited this hotel with Gardiners Coaches from 28/03/14 until 30/03/14, for a Mother’s Day weekend break. At first glance the hotel looked nice, however looks can be deceiving.

The room looked clean and tidy, but then we noticed a large hole in one of the hand towels, whilst using them. There was also a hole in one of the sheets (which would have been very obvious to whoever made up the beds). Not the standard you would expect from a 4 star hotel). The rooms would also benefit from triple glazing, due to the close proximity to East Midlands Airport. The aeroplanes fly over on a regular basis, so you should remember to take your ear plugs!

Our coach party were treated as if we were second class guests. The men who were covering the booking in desk for the restaurant were not organised and did not have details of our booking (even though we were asked at reception to give them a time for our evening meal). It appeared to be a chore for them to deal with us. One man said “oh you must be with the coach party” in a very derogatory manner. Not a very nice welcome. We were placed in a side room for our meals where the service was extremely slow. The waiting staff kept forgetting about us. They said it was because they were busy. The food was not a very good standard; cold, raw, hard vegetables which were the same variety for both nights. Some of the food was not cooked properly (one lady had to send back her salmon as it was totally raw, another lady left her chicken starter as it was still pink). The desserts were very poor and they were hardly worth having when you saw the size of the portions.

The worse part of our stay however was the Mother’s Day Lunch on Sunday 31/03/14. It was supposed to be one of the highlights of our stay. We were placed in another side room (which was clearly used for business meetings or conferences) where they had made no effort whatsoever to make it special. It was set up as one large table and had no decoration, no flowers and no music (not even a CD playing background tunes) and only 4 bottles of warm water between 22 people. The menu choice was poor and some of the food was inedible (the mushroom tagliatelle was drowning in mustard, and the chocolate tart was far too bitter to eat).

To add insult to injury there were adverts for the hotel restaurant’s special Mother’s Day lunch (a three course lunch with music by a guitarist and a special gift for each mother). Our mothers were not made to feel special in any way.

When I complained about our stay, our overall poor treatment and the disappointing lunch, the receptionist said she would get the manager to come and speak to me. I said it didn’t matter as he would not be able to do anything about it. The receptionist was insistent that she would phone him and that the manager would come and speak to me. When I asked a little while later where he was, she replied that he had passed through the reception, but something important had cropped up. That just about summed up our stay: we were not important!?! I hope the staff and management treat their other guests with better care, manners and attention. They are clearly not used to dealing with coach party holidays.

One lady on our trip was sick at the service station stop on the way home. Also my mother felt ill throughout the journey and had severe diarrhoea all night on Sunday (they had not eaten the same meal, so we are not sure what caused their illness). I just hope the other members of our party had better luck and that they did not suffer after eating their “special” lunch.

Room Tip: I heard that the rooms on the first floor were a better standard than the rooms on the thrid floor...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank julie h
Dear Julie h

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor and not contacting the hotel direct.

I am sorry to read that you were unhappy after your organised coach stop. We regularly have coaches use us and the companies do always return due to the level of service they receive, on this occasion I am sorry you felt this was not the case.

I can assure you at no point the team would have thought you were second class and I am disappointed to read that you thought you were treated like this. With regards to the mothers day lunch we did have live music and a gift for the mothers however this was something that was totally separate to the coach party along with something that was not organised by your tour operator nor promised to the coach operator.
I did speak to the tour operator regarding this and he did understand, I did say I would happily contact the guests to explain the same; however I was not given any details to do this so unfortunately this was not possible.
I am also sorry to learn that some of the guests were not well after the lunch on the journey home, the food itself all came from the same kitchen as the other 180 dinners and we have had no other issues, so I do feel this is coincidental and not a food related issue as stated in your review.

I will review as to what happened regarding the Manager not seeing you when requested, this is most unusual and something I will investigate.

If you would like to discuss things further, please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel direct.

Chris.trow@yewlodgehotel.co.uk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kegworth
Hilton East Midlands Airport
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
#6 of 7 in Castle Donington
Holiday Inn Express East Midlands Airport
Holiday Inn Express East Midland...
#4 of 7 in Castle Donington
The Priest House by the River
The Priest House by the River
#5 of 7 in Castle Donington

Been to Best Western Premier East Midlands Airport Yew Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!