“Big hotel but still friendly”

Best Western Premier East Midlands Airport Yew Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kegworth
Reviewed September 20, 2013

A large hotel, very busy, but still very friendly. The hotel has a large selection of function rooms, that are well used by the business community. Food execelent, but some more choice would have been welcome. The hotel says, you can park your car there and they will take you to east midlands airport. Problem with this is, their extensive car park is very full.

Room Tip: The function rooms are on the 1st floor. If you wat to avoid the noise, the 4th floor is a good esca...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andy P
GMYewLodge, Manager at Best Western Premier East Midlands Airport Yew Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Andy P

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review.

We are pleased that you found the hotel to be friendly and we are pleased that the food was excellent; I have passed your comments regarding choices onto the Chef.
We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Our room was lovely and clean, the hotel was pleasant enough, the leisure facilities were really good and the food was better than I was expecting, the only thing that let it down was the service in the restaurant.....

It seems the normal restaurant was reserved for a wedding so a make shift restaurant was made in one of the conference rooms, what they failed to replicate and plan was the amount of tables they would need (even though they had a list of dinner reservations and the conference room was plenty large enough for more tables).

Guests were turned away and told to wait, then forgotten about, tables were re-set and then others were seated first. They wanted our desert choices straight away and then they took 45 mins to get to us. I asked for a very small amount of potato and vegatables for my 11 month old daughter to eat, i got a scoop of mash and some peas on a plate. When I came to check out the assistant restaurant manager decided it was worth nearly £6!!! The receptionist took it off immediately but I was quite shocked that such a tiny amount of mash and a few peas was charged at that amount for a baby! Overall the restaurant service was poor, some of the staff were unprofessional and it was all just thrown together. It let the food down which was well thought out and presented.
I would stay here again but I wouldn't have dinner unless it was in the proper restaurant and I got an early reservation! Other than that, a pleasant enough hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear LittleLegs1983
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review.

We are pleased that you found the room lovely and clean and the leisure facilities really good.
With regards to the restaurant I am pleased that you enjoyed the food but I do apologise about the service. We did have to relocate the restaurant as a one off occasion for the function in the main restaurant. However service should have been still at a high standard as usual.
I have passed these comments onto the Food and Beverage Manager for him to address with the team.

I am pleased to see that the reception team did credit you for the overcharge.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future and I hope that you do choose to dine with us so that we can offer the high standard of service that we normally deliver on a daily basis.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

A labarythn of corridors and a huge variance in room quality makes this a questionable choice - but the chances are you're here for a conference or the airport so maybe this is the best option. Had to change rooms as walls were paper thin and room frankly shabby. Second room was nicer but still not what I would expect from what I think had 4 AA stars (do they mean something different?).

One elevator didn't go down to ground floor, the other tucked away in a corner. Even the TV was a challenge - there was a note in each room on how to simply turn it on - and reception / picture a little bad (cut out at times). Telephones didn't work, though apparently were being upgrade so this might be fixed. On the plus side I had a nice run along the canal in the morning,

It's not the worst hotel but it's neither charming nor "corporate good quality" so probably caters for people in need of somewhere near the airport. If this is you, get a good (low) price and you'll be ok.

Room Tip: Point out you'll complain and ask for another room if they give you a older / bad one perhaps?
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ben B

Dear Ben B
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review.
I apologise that you did not feel the hotel lived up to your expectations.
We apologise that the TV had a bad reception, we have asked the maintenance to look into this.
We had a new telephone system being installed into the hotel during your stay. Whilst this was happening disruptions did occur to the phones over the few days. I apologise for any inconvenience caused.
We do cater for all kinds of visitors to the hotel and we do have a very good reputation for corporate and leisure guests, we hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future and I hope we can offer a better experience for you if your return.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Nicely presented hotel, clean and good selection of breakfast food. Staff were very friendly and accommodating. The rooms were in a very good decorative order but the TV was very complicated to operate and in my case I never managed to get any TV reception.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear MFiVienna

Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel.
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and the staff were friendly and accommodating towards you.

We apologise regarding the lack of reception on the TV, we have asked the maintenance team to look into this.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in August while visiting friends in the area and though our experience was patchy, the hotel worked well as a local base. The staff were generally very helpful, especially on reception although the bar service (Friday lunchtime) was slow and surly. We ate in the restaurant (pleasant, conservatory style) both evenings and would say the food and the service were good. We used the swimming pool a couple of times during our stay and really enjoyed it. The hotel was very busy on the weekend we visited, which must indicate something about its popularity, but it seemed to struggle to cope at times, both in terms of infrastructure (lifts small and inefficient, car park bursting at seams) and staffing levels. In general some updating was needed: the sofa bed in our family room was saggy and uncomfortable, the temperature regulation inadequate so that the room was too hot and the public spaces were dark and old-looking. However, for the price the Yew Lodge was a good place to stay for a couple of nights.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lorudal
GMYewLodge, Manager at Best Western Premier East Midlands Airport Yew Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear lorudal

Many thanks for your review.
I’m pleased that the location and helpfulness of the staff contributed to a good stay.
I have passed your comments about slow service onto our Food and Beverage Team.
If you can advise the hotel which room you stayed in I will ask the housekeeping team to check the sofa bed.

Overall I am pleased that you found the Yew Lodge a good place to stay.
We hope to welcome you and your family back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I can only describe this hotel as "average". The evening meal was reasonable (just), the hotel rooms clean but dated. I'd rather stay in a bed and breakfast next time I visit the area.......it would be greater value for my money

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear John P

Many thanks for your review.
Sorry that you feel the hotel was ‘average’. We always try and ensure that we offer a 4* service for every guest. I apologise that we did not fulfil this for you.
I hope that you will try the hotel again and give us chance to change your opinion of the hotel and the service we provide.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

The accommodation was a bit cramped and the bed was a very small double but apart from that our room was satisfactory.

Parking was a problem as the hotel was full and we had to park in the surrounding streets which was not good as we had a lot of luggage.

Our evening meal was poor for a 4 star hotel as we had sea bass fillets with mushroom risotto.
Risotto was fine but when cooking sea bass with skin on the skin should be crisp and the fish itself soft!!
The reverse happened and we were disappointed but it was getting late and we were tired so no complaint was made.
Breakfast was a buffet and ok.
Our deal included afternoon tea and cakes which we were very disappointed with as the cakes were miniscule and we had to wait over 30 mins to get served.

In all it was ok but not a 4 star experience.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is not on the conference side as wedding discos are quite noisy!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
GMYewLodge, General Manager at Best Western Premier East Midlands Airport Yew Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Dear BARRY T

Thank you for leaving your review after your recent stay.

I am sorry to read you were not impressed with the food element of you stay.

I have passed your comments on to the chef and he will review your comments with the team.

We hope to see you again soon.

Kindest Regards

Chris Trow
Hotel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kegworth
Hilton East Midlands Airport
#5 of 7 in Castle Donington
Burleigh Court
Burleigh Court
#4 of 12 in Loughborough

Been to Best Western Premier East Midlands Airport Yew Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!