“Uninspiring, bland food and tiny portions!”

Best Western Premier East Midlands Airport Yew Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kegworth
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Uninspiring, bland food and tiny portions!”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Met some friends here for dinner tonight. I've stayed and eaten here on several occasions in the past, but unfortunately I was bitterly disappointed this evening. I ordered salmon fillet for main course, and what arrived was a tiny piece of thin salmon fillet (probably just less than half the size. A thin normal fillet), rested on a few salad leaves and accompanied by a cold scotch egg. No veg or potatoes, so for a hefty £17 it was extremely poor value! The salmon was also quite bland and uninspiring. I had 3 cheeses for desert. Again, the portion size was very small and at £5, I didn't consider it great value. The 2 main courses that my friends had - seabass and lamb were also very small. I didn't mention anything to the waiter, as my friend was paying so didnt want to offend. I will definelty not be eating in the restaurant again,. The only positive was that the staff were very friendly and service was very good. Just a shame about the standard of the food.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
GMYewLodge, General Manager at Best Western Premier East Midlands Airport Yew Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear lyn17

Thank you for your review of the hotel.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your meal. I am pleased that you found the staff friendly and the serve good, if in future you are not happy with you meal, please do mention it to the team so they can rectify the issue and ensure you leave satisfied.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Mirfield
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed at the hotel on a two night gourmet break.
Our check in was speedy and pleasant, the car park was busy but we had no problem finding a suitable parking spot.
We stayed in room 334 which seemed to be at the end of a very long corridor, we soon found the short cut to reception and used this for the rest of our stay.
Our room was very comfortable and had a nice hospitality tray selection and the bathroom was well stocked with toiletries.
Included in our stay was tea and cakes on arrival, the cakes were absolutely delicious and can be recommended.
We really enjoyed the gourmet meal and liked the quirky twist on traditional favourites.
As others have said the hotel team are really pleasant, helpful and approachable, and everyone had a smile.
The spa was good although we had a slight mix up with the changing rooms, for maintenance reasons the ladies were using the men's and vice versa. Ok but the signs dropped off the door and this caused confusion! Soon sorted and it made us giggle.

Overall the hotel was good and we would have given it 5 stars, but we were awakened on both nights by intermittent alarms apparently this was down to the phone lines resetting. However we were pleased to hear this is something the hotel is dealing with and should not be a problem in the future.
As the hotel was busy, there was quite a wait for breakfast on both mornings and we were seated in the bar until a table became free. The wait wasn't a problem but we were conscious breakfast finished at 10am which with the wait didnt give us much time to eat our meal. By the time we waited for buffet stocks to be replenished, and we physically chose our breakfast, the staff were asking us if we wanted anything else from the buffet as they wanted to clear it away. It was a shame as the anticipated leisurely breakfast was anything but.

Value for money was excellent, and we were looking at the upcoming special offers and events. We said we would like to return but would probably choose a mid week break when the hotel would perhaps be a little less crowded. We enjoyed seeing the lovely wedding outfits though.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear foxyMirfield

Thank you for your review of the hotel after your spa break.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay; I do apologises the signs fell down on the changing rooms causing confusion. I do hope this did not cause too much of an issue.

The telephone issue is as I reply being sorted. I do apologise for this but we are dealing with it now.

UK
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My friend and I chose the Yew Lodge for a Spa break to enjoy a catch up away from children and husbands, even though it is only 15 minutes from home!

I've thought hard about whether to rate our experience "very good" or "average". Average seems a tad harsh but very good doesn't sit comfortably either. Our experience in the spa was very good, the hotel was very good, the restaurant experience I have to say was average. So this is almost two separate reviews.

Get the negative out of the way so I can finish the review on a positive which I think this establishment deserves.

We reserved a table for dinner at the time of booking the hotel. Alarm bells rang when I saw that the steak on the menu was 6oz but £21 and my fears were confirmed. Nothing on the starters really grabbed my attention so opted for the chicken and tarragon ravioli. Underneath that, the menu simply said, langoustine, bisque, mango & chilli. Not being a fan of fruit in any part of a meal other than dessert I asked the waiter to explain. He was foreign so maybe there was confusion in translation but my understanding from him was it was a selection of ravioli containing each of the ingredients, so I thought I'd go with that and not eat the mango one. When it arrived it was one small ravioli of chicken and tarrogan in a sauce containing the other ingredients, smothered over it, which had been my initial concern. Needless to say, I did not enjoy it. I also found the ravioli rather chewy. Waiter asked if I liked it and I replied in a friendly manner, not really my thing. He promised to make it up to us with the main course and I have to say after that, he didn't come near our table and when he seated us at breakfast he was very unfriendly.

My friend had the mini fish and chip experience: a tiny cone of "chips", a minute battered sausage and fish and a tiny pickled egg. Very cute, very arty (we took a photo), nothing to eat to speak of.

We both opted for the fillet steak and chunky chips as we were starving after a day in the spa and it arrived with 8 chips, no side salad/veg. Possibly should have read the menu better and realised that was all we were getting. Friend had steak medium, me rare. When the food arrived we were asked who was having medium, friend replied she was and plates were put down on the table. Steak was tasty enough, but at the end of the meal I looked across and realised there was blood on friends plate, none on mine so clearly we'd been given the wrong meals. At least it proved my friend can cope with a rare steak!

Opted against dessert as we decided it was likely to be more small portions which would leave us disappointed so went into the bar and had crisps!! £52 and still hungry, not a great advert.

Positives:

Spa staff were very friendly. Lovely, clean spa environment. Pool is possibly a bit small and there are only two sun loungers which two other girls put their towels on as soon as they arrived in true Brit style! The lunch in the Spa I have to say was brilliant, great selection of sandwiches, fresh salad, bowl of fruit and scone with cream and jam. A total contrast to the later eating experience!

We upgraded to have an hours treatment and both opted for the full body massage and it was probably the best massage I've ever had. Given that it's so close to home I will be going back for treatments in future. I think the massage made the weekend!

The hotel itself is lovely, our room was large with two very comfortable single beds and a really clean recently modernised bathroom. The confusing part though was that the water pressure in the showers in the changing rooms was very strong, whereas we had a trickle from the shower in the room. I'm a girl - no idea how that works!

So overall a great break, but I would in future eat at Jee Ja Jees around the corner if I were staying there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank TravellinggirlUK
Dear travellinggirlUK

Thank you for your review of the hotel after your spa break.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy the menu experience in the restaurant; I have passed your comments on to the food and beverage manager for him to review.

I am pleased you enjoyed the spa area and found the girls lovely. I will ensure they are made aware of this.

Rushden
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for a night in August on a Spa break. I have to say the experience was excellent value for money.

The service provided in the Spa as excellent (They have a bar which is a bonus) and the pool and facilities were very good. The gym had a lot of equipment even though we didn't use it. There were a few things around the pool area that could have been neatened up like a rusty looking substance around the picture thing next to the foot spa in the pool area but this was minor. We really enjoyed it. I had a massage and my girlfriend had a spray tan which we were both happy with.

The Room we stayed in was very clean and was a very pleasant surprise. The bathroom was spacious and had a good shower. You also get free wifi which is a really good. The only negative about the room was the doors do close with a loud bang which was annoying when the people in the room next door left early the next day.

The Dinner was really nice and the food was really good quality. Breakfast was a buffet style where you could have hot or cold food. Was really nice, one of the nicest cooked breakfasts I have had.

All of the staff in the hotel were friendly and treated you well especially in the Spa and in the Restaurant.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay in the hotel, and would definitely return one day

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear bellmo83

Thank you for your review of the hotel after your spa break.

I am pleased you enjoyed you break and found the food and service in the restaurant and spa good.

We look forward to welcoming you back again the future.

England
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed at Yew Lodge using a park/stay deal through holiday extras.

We arrived at the hotel at 9pm and couldn't find a single car parking space in their very large car park, so we had to park on yellow lines while we checked in.
Check in was smooth and we were advised to leave our car and move it in the morning... A little inconvenient considering we had a very early flight.
We were allocated room "studio 2" (we booked a standard double)
We followed the directions through the hotel and thought it was a but weird as we were walking down a hotel corridor and into what felt like a staff area, no wallpaper, plain walls and down into what seemed like a fire exit. The smell was damp and musty and at the end of what looked like the entrance to a boiler room was 5 studio rooms.
Before I turned the light on I could see how bad the room was, very very dated, the smell was awful, it was a tiny box room with just a shower room, no full bathroom. Not what we were expecting and not what I believed we were getting based on the description at booking.
We went straight back to reception and asked for a room change.
They only had one room available and this was directly opposite the function where there was a very noisy wedding, we were shown the room and decided that despite the noise it was better than the basement.

Although this room (102) was better is was still very much in need of a referb. The avocado bathroom suit looked like it was from the 70's and the replacement white toilet seat on it looked out of place!
My husband ran a shower and the shower head fell off. The taps were single so you either had boiling hot water or cold.

The room must be on the other side of toilets as when the hand dryer is in use it is VERY LOUD.
The tv had no sound.
The bed was noisy and uncomfortable and the room was very warm however we did find the fan in the wardrobe very useful.

We ordered dinner at the bar and for £70 for 2 people we were very underwhelmed by the food. It was way too expensive for what we had. The steaks felt like they were vac-packed.

That is the hotel...

However I must stress that what really impressed us from start to finish were the staff. The girl at reception who moved our room was a star, the bar staff were incredibly friendly, waiting staff also, and the gentleman doing our airport transfer. Over all the service we received from the staff was comparable to world class hotels. The customer facing staff can't be blamed for the hotel decor and the rooms or poor food, I believe these are higher management issues, but they are doing one thing absolutely right and that's staff training.

Such a shame as based on the staff alone we would return in a heart beat. Based on hotel and comfort, I'm afraid they would need to do a lot more work for us to return.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Harmon27

Thank you for your review of the hotel.

I am sorry you found the studio rooms dated, with them being 2 years old I am surprised about this comment. I am pleased that the team found you an alternative that you rather have had.

Thank you for your kind words about the staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back again the future.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Got a deal via Groupon for a 2 person, 2 night, tea and cakes on arrival and dinner on the first night. First thing that struck me was the number of staff - not your usual 1 or two people traipsing about but plenty of smiley, young, enthusiastic helpers! Rooms good - we had 2 rooms both twins (husband and son in one, myself and daughter in another). Everything you need in a room - clean presentable and well stocked with bathroom bits.
Food on the first night - well - the only thing I can say is I thought Heston Blumenthal was cooking here! Very artistic and well presented, but also tasty too. Sometimes it can look fancy and not taste of anything, but this was far from the case. We had three courses and the children chose Cod Fillet and Chunky chips - well chunky they were - almost breezeblocks! They loved them and the fish was well cooked. Other mains were good and the puds well thought through. My son asked for 'The Beach' for dessert and he got a plate of bubblegum flavour 'sea' with crushed nut and caramel shards (to make it look like sand) made into small sandcastles topped with tiny white chocolate seahorses. Ice cream shells and a wafer topped the plate and he was gobsmacked. :) (I shall download a photo once I get of the camera).
Spa was ok - pool a bit smaller than the photo suggests but good enough and the kids liked the Jacuzzi too. There is an adequate steam and sauna, although the piped bird tweeting music in the sauna was a bit weird. Felt like I was stuck in a tropical bird watching hide! :-0
Gym adequate again, but good staff instructed me where to go for a run on the first morning so no need for a boring treadmill. All in all a good break and nearby quite a few family attractions that really were worth visiting while in the area. Snibston Discovery Centre and Calke Abbey (leaflets in Reception give you discount entry vouchers)

Room Tip: We had top floor rooms 432 and 433. Quiet even though facing the car park.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank happybunny13
GMYewLodge, General Manager at Best Western Premier East Midlands Airport Yew Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Happybunny13

Thank you very much for your lovely detailed review of the hotel after your recent 2 night break.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and all the smiley staff looked after you well.

The taste of the seaside is defiantly a great dessert and has been a great hit with everyone that has had it; I will pass your comments on to the chef.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Lots of people lots of cars - wedding, airport parking and an raf association do. Got last parking spot in what is normally a huge car park. The staff were delightful food very good and the beds to die for. For a big chain got very personal service.

All in all excellent

Room Tip: Check out whats on
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
GMYewLodge, General Manager at Best Western Premier East Midlands Airport Yew Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Diana K

Thank your for lovely review of the hotel.

I am pleased to read although we very extremely busy you found the staff gave you a very personal touch during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kindest Regards

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kegworth
Radisson Blu Hotel, East Midlands Airport
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
#6 of 7 in Castle Donington
Kegworth Hotel & Conference Centre
Holiday Inn Express East Midlands Airport
Holiday Inn Express East Midland...
#4 of 7 in Castle Donington
The Priest House by the River
The Priest House by the River
#5 of 7 in Castle Donington

Been to Best Western Premier East Midlands Airport Yew Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!