“Well worth the effort”

Bramble Cottage
Bramble Cottage
Ranked #2 of 3 Higham B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Nice central location, loads to see and do within easy reach. Paddy is an excellent host and nothing is too much trouble. Breakfast is superb. The bed is on a grand scale, and the welcome drink is a nice touch.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
exwilson, Owner at Bramble Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Very happy to know you enjoyed your time at Bramble Cottage and the service level that I strive for was met. Thank you. Patricia

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed here in the bramble suite last night for a friends civil ceremony. Beautiful accommodation with some stunning original features and although on the main road, very quiet and relaxing. Our room was beautiful, a huge comfortable bed, dressing gowns, fluffy towels and pillows and some lovely homemade damson vodka with chocolates as a welcome gift.

The breakfast was everything from homemade marmalade (lemon and ginger) and jam to fresh fruit, cereal, toast, yoghurt and a full english, many of the ingrediants locally sourced and all to a very high standard (no cheap and cheerful here!).

Paddy was a wonderful host, very welcoming and wanting to ensure we have everything we needed. Her family were visiting whilst we were there and they too were welcoming and polite.

I would suggest you defiantly stay here if you want clean, class and comfort at a very reasonable rate. We will be back, that's for sure. Thanks paddy.

Room Tip: Book the bramble suite, simply stunning.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
exwilson, Owner at Bramble Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

I am delighted at your response to your visit to Bramble Cottage. Thank you for submitting a review allowing many other travellers to read about you experience.
I hope you will chose to stay with us again before too long.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Who would want to stay in an anodyne hotel when you could stay here ? Comfortable, homely, welcoming. Nobody to say " Have a nice day " as though they really meant it. Nobody to grab your credit card, passport, car registration number, life story before you have put your cases on the floor. A proper key ( remember them ? ) to open the door and a proper switch to switch the lights on. Good food. No rules and regs. Perfect !
Dr. David Dale.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

I am quite overwhelmed by all the very kind words guests write, they are all very much appreciated and fill me with a desire to 'do' even better.! I have tried hard to exclude all the things I have not enjoyed in hotels and B and Bs and include all the things that have made for a memorable experience. I would like to apologise to all my other guests that have not received an individual response to their review however I have only recently worked out how to do it !!
I hope to welcome even more of you as returning friends to Bramble Cottage..

Reviewed August 16, 2012

I was taken away for my birthday last weekend and i had no idea of where we were staying, thank heavens my partner had good taste! the room was amazing with everything you could need. |As soon as my head touched the pillow i was out like a light. Everything was clean and tidy and even the shots in the room were an added bonus. Paddy was a fab hostess and would not hesitate to stay anywhere else if we are ever up there again.... Breakfast in the morning was amazing after that we didn't need to eat till the evening!!

Thanks Paddy From Becky & Mark

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
exwilson, Owner at Bramble Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2012

I am so pleased you enjoyed staying in my wonderful home, I do hope to see you again should you every come this way again.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed recently and couldn't have wished for a better stay, or a more accommodating hostess. The rooms are beautiful and have everything you need to make your stay, the garden is lovely, and the breakfast is incredibly generous & scrumptious! Paddy is a great host and really makes you feel at home. Couldn't recommend Bramble cottage more highly! We'll definitely be going back...

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
exwilson, Owner at Bramble Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Thank you for your complimentary review, it is good to know my guests have enjoyed the Bramble Cottage experience. I look forward to welcoming you back .

Reviewed July 15, 2012

My wife are from Galway Ireland and we have just completed a two week holiday in England. We decided to base ourselves in the middle of the country and wisely chose Bramble Cottage in Higham, Derbyshire. Situated close to the Amber Valley and Peak District, this property and it's charming hostess "Paddy"...(Patricia) offer their guests the very high standards demanded by individuals wishing to be accomodated in a beautiful and most comfortable setting. We had he pleasure of staying in the room aptly named after the cottage itself..."The Bramble" room was our home for two weeks and a joy to return to after extensive travel each and every day. Whilst the weather during our stay had generally been attrocious nationwide our central location enabled us to set off each day to places where the weather forecast was favourable. To prepare us each day a truly magnificent breakfast was served, the menu catered for every palate and always included the finest fresh produce from local suppliers. Our room was a lovely size complete with super-king bed and ensuite bathroom, TV, Wi-Fi, tea/coffee/cookies facilities and even included an iron and ironing board. Little extras such as a liqueur and chocolates were always to hand. The well manicured garden is equipped with lovely seating areas should you wish to take a book or simply take the sun outdoors, car parking is secure and at the rear of the premises ...access being via Well Lane which is adjacent to the property. There are many dining options available either a short walk or short drive away if you wish. All in all it was a pleasure to stay at this venue and we would certainly highly recommend this venue to any of our friends or any reader of this review.

Room Tip: Book early...beautiful and comfortable options offered in all rooms
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank PBIreland000
exwilson, Owner at Bramble Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

Thank you for your kind words, it was a pleasure to look after you. Best regards Patricia.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

I took my Mum here for her 70th birthday present and a break from her caring duties. We had a lovely time, the room was perfect and had everything we needed: A kettle and big choice of drink sachets, fresh milk when we got in and for the morning. Delicious bramble vodka for our first night. Perfect breakfasts. Comfortable beds. Big fluffy towels. Dressing gowns.
Paddy made us feel very welcome as did the staff in the pub next door where we ate for a very reasonable price. We would love to stay again!

Room Tip: The Carsington room is at the back and overlooks the lovely garden.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family