“Always enjoy our visits”
Review of Plough Inn

Plough Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Plough Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 16 Restaurants in Hathersage
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We always enjoy our visits - comfortable and relaxing. Very friendly and efficient staff. Pleasant menu however wine prices are a little steep. We love to call and have lunch even though it is an hour's journey for us.

Excellent Sunday lunch. Delicious meat pie, extremely tasty salmon dish, lovely cooked scampi, but it pains me to say this the most awful lasagne. It was just a bowl of cooked cheese and pasta with a miniscule amount of meat which was tasteless. The worst dish I've ever had here and can definitely cook it better myself, in fact a supermarket ready meal is much nicer. The recipe needs to be changed.

We will continue to eat here but will avoid the lasagne!

Reviewed February 17, 2014

After living in the area a few years now, we tried the Plough for Sunday lunch over Christmas.
Not knowing one needed to book, we just turned up at 1330, and they squeezed us in as long as we had finished within 45 minutes.
Lovely atmosphere and very cosy and warm, we were seated and given set menus. I was surprised how expensive it was, but the menu was varied ...and on seeing the roast beef and yorkshire pudding delivered to the table next to us, we both chose this option.
It was delicious, to say the least and everything was fresh.
We enjoyed our lunch and would definitely return, but only if we booked...so we could spend a little longer eating and not be in such a rush to leave.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Expensive but good, managed to squeeze us in at 13:00 hrs on a sunday too! up there with the best in the area for sure

Reviewed January 28, 2014

We visited after driving past the previous day, the food was delicious, My partner had the king prawn linguine for starter and I had it for main, wonderful dish, full of flavour. My starter of seared scallops with chorizo three ways was Devine. The service was very good, ambience super too. Would thoroughly recommend a meal her. We will definitely go back again. Lovely

Reviewed January 25, 2014

The menu looks good and, nearing gastro pub prices, we expected some good food. The wine was good though expensive. However, the starters didn't live up to their descriptions and were disappointing. I can cook better at home! But, at least they all arrived together. For the main courses, they burnt the last steak of the type ordered so had to start over again delaying all our main courses. When the dishes arrived, one was cold, and the steak arrived with the wrong accompaniment. By the time the two dishes returned I'd finished my main course, even eating it as slowly as possible. The replacement steak was not good quality. The vegetarian dish was bland, as had been the vegetarian starter.
The service was poor; every dish looked as if it was about to land in your lap as it was dropped on the table; my friend was expected to take hold of a dish which was too hot for the staff to carry with a bare hand; they had no clue what cutlery was needed but swapped items out trying to look as if they did; the man who appeared to be in charge, who sorted out the problems with the main dishes, offered no apology and gave the air of it being our fault; when we had finished the main course we were just brought the bill and not offered desert or coffee; and we all went home with the smell of fire lighters on our clothes because the nice looking log fire was kept alight by staff put fire lighters on it even though it wasn't drawing up the chimney, just straight into the pub.
We'd chosen the pub on the basis that it got good reviews and felt really guilty that we'd made such a poor choice for our friends. The pub is trying to be more than it is and needs to start by getting the basics right!

1  Thank Julian P