George Hotel
$303
$249
The Florentine(Sheffield)
$72
All reviewslovely hotelservice chargepeak districtlounge areasuperior roompowerful showersconessingle roombar menuthe ground floorone night staybooked this hotelwaiting staffrooms are comfortablestaff were welcomingbreakfast was excellentenjoyable stay
Reviewed February 24, 2009

I'm from Connecticut but live in the Philippines. Staying at the George Hotel was like going back to Connecticut but better than the best Ct. can offer for this type of Hotel. - Drive in during the day time. Beautiful scenery

I stayed in room 21. 90 pounds all in with B-fast. Clean room, staff poured a Boddingtons after hours. B-fast was simple but very good. Great coffee. Free wifi in the room worked fine with password "derbyshire"

Cool Lobby, Like staying in an old, but nicely renovated house more than a hotel. .

This is not a new "Novatel" and I appreciated the George Hotel just for that reason. Classic England and I loved it.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 16, 2009

I was quite surprised to see the other reviews, I found The George Hotel to be delightful and an example of what a hotel should be - and is so often not in the UK. The decoration is cosy with little twists of humour like the picture in the bathroom, and nice touches like the teddy bear and tartan throw. The facilities were excellent - the room was exceptionally clean, great and powerful shower and the toiletries (although not free) were full sized and exceptional quality, internet connection was free and easy to connect to (for a technophobe like me). In short, it felt like being at home - no, better than home - it felt like being on holiday!

If I had a small criticism, the breakfast was super but the service was slow if you're staying on business. The restaurant food looked great, but I felt it lacked the wow taste factor. But my recommendation for anyone thinking of staying here would be universal, In fact, I'm planning on coming up for a long weekend and I'll definitely be staying here again.

Wonderful!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Pov333
Reviewed October 20, 2008

My Husband and I stayed at the George for night in October this year, as it nearby to Chatsworth House which we were visiting that day. We decided to book the four-poster bedroom and must say that we were pleased with the room despite it being slightly over priced in our opinion. The room itself was pleasantly decorated, with some thoughtful touches such as complimentary mineral water, bathrobes and even bookshelves containing a variety of novels such a Jane Eyre that relates to the history of the hotel. The bathroom was of good size very clean and modern. My only negative points would be the very small television, for the size of the room I would expect something bigger and the carpet looked like it had seen better days. The receptionist that was there on our arrival was unfriendly and was not welcoming, however the other staff that we came across despite lacking some training in hospitality and service were generally friendly. The hotel promotes their restaurant and encouraged me on booking the room to reserve a table, which I did. The whole restaurant experience really did let The George down. From the start of the meal we were left waiting in the bar, while the too few staff took our order. There really was a lack of staff and one poor waitress was running around doing everything. Once we did eventually sit down for our meal I found the service to be lacking simple standards, such as the waiter not opening our bottle of wine at the table or offering for us to taste it. He simple put the wine down on the table without pouring it. In our view this is simply not what we would have expected. The menu from first glance appeared to be of contemporary modern style, however in reality it seemed that the chef was trying out new ideas that didn’t really work. The pork for my main course was tough and full of fat, I was not impressed. So in summary I think this hotel is trying to be a boutique style hotel, but has simply not got it right manly because of the staff’s lack of training and attention to detail.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank jojo75
Reviewed September 24, 2008

I booked the George (which looked ok on its website) for a one night stop-over , as the Plough (by far superior) was unfortunately full.

The George may have a good restaurant (I personally can't say as I dined at the excellent Walnut Club instead) but if the (second) room I was unfortunate enough to be allocated was anything to go by ,such quality has not found it's way beyond the ground floor. My room was absolutely dire; it felt like a prison cell.

The decor was drab. The ensuite had one of those terrible shower curtains. The t.v. was small, old fashioned, wall mounted on one of those ugly swivel mounts and stuck in a corner which wasn't visible when lying in bed, unless your neck was also of the swivel variety. The 'wardrobe' had a curtain instead of a door. Inside there was a very dirty kettle, in the bottom of which it appeared that bacterial cultures were happily breeding. Goodness only knows which ark the hairdryer came out of but judging from the stained and grimy coiled cord it must have been a filthy one.

The view, through stained net curtains, was on to the staff car-parking area.

The wafer thin walls offered neither privacy nor peace.

The first room ( which the receptionist kindly agreed to move me from) was even worse.

If I had known just how awful it was going to be, I would have happily got up very early and travelled 75 miles from home to my destination for the day instead of putting myself through the horrible experience of staying at the George.

On the postive side, breakfast was fine.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank Affable_Guest
Reviewed September 17, 2007

A terrible experience.From check in to check out, one of the worst hotels that I have ever stayed in.On arrival,the greeting was poor and unproffessional.No assistance was offered with our luggage.The road noise was completely unacceptable,and after a sleepless night,I was charged to move rooms.I had reserved a table on the night we arrived, but we were informed that because we did not want a starter we would have to wait to be served.The shower was held together with an elastic band, and there was blood on the tiles from a previous occupant.
The meal we ate in the hotel on our second night was fairly good, but for the price charged, you would expect fillet steak Rossini and not shin of beef!!!
The manager wasn't remotely concerned that we were unhappy.No-one would discuss our dissatisfaction with us.2 of us were staying here as we were attending a course.We spent over £500.00 for accomodation and meals for 2 days.
If you want a peaceful break, I sugggest that you avoid this hotel.

Stayed: September 2007