“Not many places get it this right”
Review of George Hotel

George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hathersage
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Had a wonderful one night stay with dinner. Service excellent through check in, bar, restaurant, breakfast and check out. Food - crab and watermelon roll followed by spring chicken with fresh herbs and flowers - was inventive, very suitable to the season, beautifully presented and delicious and a good range of single malts in the very relaxing and comfortable bar area. We had a standard double, which was a good size, with a bath and very powerful shower. Excellent value accommodation. Hathersage is an excellent base, with the fantastic, free and huge National Trust Longshaw Estate a five minute drive away, and with the fabulous 'Hathersage Social Club' providing an uber trendy place for drinks and lunch in the day. Our stay was excellent value and we will definitely go back. The staff were excellent and we even had a nice greeting from the hotel owner.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mrspp
There are newer reviews for George Hotel

Reviewed August 24, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the George for 2 nights midweek recently. The hotel is lovely, genuinely old but very nicely modernised. The room was stylishly decorated with comfortable bed with a powerful shower. The only minor criticism with the room was that it was next to the kitchen entrance which meant early in the morning we were woken by the banging of what sounded like metal trays. This was room 24 on the ground floor. When we stay again I would request a different room.
Breakfast was outstanding on the first morning ( George Grill for me, Smoked Haddock with poached egg for my wife) and while still very good on the second morning not quite as good (my wife also had the George Grill on my recommendation) with the bacon and mushroom being over cooked. Service is A1 with staff being professional, attentive and if engaged in conversation friendly. We had an evening meal in the restaurant on the first night. It was quite good but not top notch. The menu looks good but the food did not live up to it. There was nothing at all wrong with the food it just didn't deliver. The portions are small which is fine if the combinations of ingredients and flavour are bold enough to carry the dish. However sadly it was not. Service in the restaurant was excellent.
In summary we will definitely stay here in the future but will probably not eat dinner there.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank PorkyPad
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Undoubtedly one of the best venues I have stayed in for a long time. The facilities are great and the staff are amazing. On arrival they make you feel welcome. The village and surrounding areas are so picturesque. The staff did an amazing job and made guests feel comfortable and they were very attentive as nothing was too big or too small. It was child friendly and was able to accommodate quite a few young children over a weekend with minimal fuss. At first I questioned the 5% service charge added to the bill, but they fully deserved it. My only criticism is that the beds and mattresses should be consistent. Part of our party had very hard beds and some were too soft. However, I would highly recommend it as a venue and I am looking forward to going back, and already miss the massaging showers!!!! If mobility impaired please be aware of the stairs leafing to the rooms.

Room Tip: The doubles are good enough, but for that little bit extra their superior rooms give that touch of e...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank Liz W
Reviewed August 18, 2014

No fault found with this delightful old hotel, run by professionals, with no pretence or pomp, just quiet, friendly efficiency. Sunday package including b&b, dinner, and champagne cream tea on arrival is a great deal.
Lovely room, with all amenities, good dinner with more than adequate choice, excellent breakfast (prefer cloth table-covers to glass tops, but not a deal breaker).
Others are right, front rooms can be noisy - busy and fairly fast road and
junction, but sleep quality otherwise excellent.
Those complaining about the service levy on the bill should read the terms when booking - it's very clear. And my guess is that if you did not want to pay it, the management would happily deduct it. Personally I think it's a nice way to ensure that the good service of all staff is recognised.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank TheRoliingMcStones
Reviewed August 10, 2014

Ate a meal in the restaurant with family on Friday evening. Experienced very poor bar service, slow and arrogant! Food was overpriced, small portions and frankly the vegetarian tart was appalling. The only reason I didn't send it back was I didn't want to spoil the ambience for our other guests as it was a special occasion. I would not visit again.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank reneaero
Reviewed August 8, 2014

We booked via booking.com, and the description of the room was spot on. If you want a better room, book via hotel website. This hotel is spotless, friendly, helpful, comfortable, and its syle is chic-historic, very attractive. Even in our budget room there were two comfortable chairs, much appreciated. The food is excellent - the included breakfast is amazing, and the suppers absolutely delicious. If you want a budget option, there is a reduced but still delicious early-bird menu 6.30pm-7.30pm. Complimentary water in the room is a very nice touch - and it is literally years since we had staff offer to carry our bags. Nothing was too much trouble for any of them - and gluten-free food easily to hand. Well done The George, we'll be back.

Room Tip: Have a room at the back if traffic is a problem. We slept like tops at the back.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GetawayAddict
Reviewed August 5, 2014

My wife and I shared a double Superior room. Service excellent and the food outstanding. Two AA Rosettes for cuisine for many years. Also very economical packages so take a look. The 4-night offer is outstanding value

Room Tip: Overlook the rear of hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alan S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hathersage
The Izaak Walton Hotel
Losehill House Hotel & Spa
The Maynard
The Maynard
#1 of 1 in Grindleford

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!