“Disappointing”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hathersage
Rosenheim, Germany
“Disappointing”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Staff are very friendly and helpful, rooms are clean and comfotable, ours were very small and loud. The hotel fronts onto a busy road and has a big car park but no garden or generally available area to sit outside.
We were charged 5% on top of the agreed room price for "service", thus making the rooms effictively 5% more expensive. We were not informed of this practice until we paid the bill! A great pity! I have always regarded tips in restaurants as discretionary, so I can tip good staff correspondingly. And until now I have always experienced hotel room cleaning and reception as included in the room price. Particularly helpful and friendly staff recieve a personal tip from me.

Room Tip: If you want to eat in the restaurant, book well ahead. If you want a quiet room, rooms at the back i...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank assetsaved

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
London, England
Reviewed April 24, 2013

They know how to feed and water you at the George. This is very important if you've climbed up Stanage Edge or other peak and have an appetite on you. The staff have got that calm and quiet professionalism that you usually only see in a fancy 5-star. Welcoming to children, which is good, since I can't tie them up and leave them outside (though sometimes I'd like to). Good, honest, no-nonsense grub served with style.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Queen_of_NW2
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We called for lunch after reading previous reviews. The staff were very friendly and the food was very good. The room too was relaxing and comfortable.

We always leave a tip when we are happy with everything, however on looking at our bill later we had paid our 10% tip plus their 5%!!

We looked at the evening restaurant menu which looked really nice. Think we will give it a try sometime.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel is really charming, and the staff were unfailingly helpful and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble for them. The restaurant is excellent, and the breakfasts were terrific. The location was perfect for visiting lots of stately homes (Chatsworth, Lyme Park, Calke Abbey), David Mellor's fabulous cutlery shop, and pretty/interesting villages such as Bakewell. Despite being on the main road through the village, the rooms were very quiet and - also - well appointed.

England has lots of grotty hotels - this is not one of them! I'd happily recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nell214
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

We chose to stay in Hathersage for a few nights due to it's super location between the other peak villages for walking and exploring! A ten minute drive to Castleton means it is within a short distance of some of the best walking and caving areas in the peaks!

We were met on arrival by a lovely lady who showed us to our room. We opted for a ground floor room (for cost reasons!) - a first for me who is terrified of sleeping on the ground floor! I must say I am glad we did!!! It might not have had far reaching views, ( it is half under ground half over!) but it was lovely and warm,friendly and welcoming. The bed provided the best nights sleep I have had in a while.

The breakfast was fantastic - second to none with a lovely wide selection to choose from and beautifully prepared!!!

On a little note to contradict one of the previous reviews, the shower was insanely powerful - causing a wind whenever turned on, and lovely and warm.

We will be back! Thank you for a lovely stay!

• Stayed April 2013
Reviewed April 5, 2013

It's an occasional treat for my wife and I and we absolutely love it. We've never stayed in the hotel (it would be pointless as we only live a couple of miles away) but the restaurant is something else.

The staff are amazing, the food and drinks are too. The restaurant is lovely and it's a great atmosphere.

It's expensive, but worth every penny.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Turtlesurfer
St. Neots, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We were staying here on recommendation of our local friend who was getting married in the village. The reception staff were very helpful, friendly and professional - I couldn't fault them; the same goes for the restaurant staff at breakfast.

The hotel was quiet, which was great for me being 40 weeks pregnant. The communal areas were very beautiful and there was a lovely atmosphere in the hotel in general. I wouldn't say that our room was anything special, but it was clean and adequate for our one night stay. I was a little put off by the cuddly toy on the bed, the strange artwork and odd collection of books on a shelf by the bed. After visiting a friends room (23) we realised that there room was much more spacious and modern looking. Also our matress wasn't very comfortable, and I can only assume that it was an open coil mattress as we had a lot of roll together, which isn't ideal in a regular sized double when you are heavily pregnant.

There were nice toilettries in the ensuites, but no shower cap or moisturiser. The shower was very large and good, espcially in my condition but it was a shame there wasn't a bath. There was a good selection of drinks in the in room tea & coffee making facilities and biscuits too. However, there was no still water, only two bottles of sparkling.

All rooms had a trouser press and a reasonable hairdryer which is always a bonus.

Breakfast was really nice, I can definately recommend the porridge.

I would recommend this hotel and had an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Room 23 was a much more recently decorated and larger room (with a sofa) than the one we were given...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hathersage
Losehill House Hotel & Spa
Cavendish Hotel
Cavendish Hotel
#2 of 2 in Baslow
East Lodge Country House Hotel

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!