“Cosy, relaxing retreat in beautiful countryside”
Review of George Hotel

George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hathersage
Haddenham, United Kingdom
“Cosy, relaxing retreat in beautiful countryside”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I booked this hotel as a break away before Christmas. We booked the special package that included bubbly, flowers and chocolates in the room as well as dinner, bed and breakfast.

The hotel was lovely, tastefully decorated throughout, and clearly well maintained and the staff were very welcoming.

As the weather was poor, we explored the local area by car, and then headed back to the hotel for a relax by the fire and a warming hot chocolate (very tasty!).

Dinner on both nights was excellent, cleverly crafted menus and beautifully presented and served by the staff. As well as looking good, the food was delicious! We just wished we were staying longer to try more of the dishes!

Breakfasts were also tasty and a good way to set you up for the day.

The rooms were very smart but cosy, but most impressive was the power shower - you couldn't have it on full! The only downside I would say is that the draft created by the shower meant that the shower curtain kept sticking to me!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrsCDavies

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Christmas day lunch, very helpful staff, superb lobster bisque, fantastic salmon course, poor main course. Turkey cold and very dry, no stuffing as we would know it and inedible bread sauce.
However the xmas pudding was a delight and one of the best we have ever tasted. A lovely hotel in a pretty village setting.

Room Tip: Obviously very well run. All staff happy, nothing too much trouble.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 21, 2012

The George is in the main street of Hathersage. It has reasonably sized comfortable rooms. Rooms are clean and well furnished although the walls are a bit thin and you can hear your neighbours talk. The food really is top drawer. Both the evening meal and the breakfast were some of the best I've had. The staff can't do enough for you. There is parking at the rear

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Englishknight55
Notts
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We were looking for somewhere close to home, but with a rustic and rural setting that made us feel we had travelled many, many miles, instead of the 20 odd we had actually done. I had driven by it a few times and it always seemed popular, so we booked a 2 night stay for our wedding anniversary and off we went.

It was very good value for money, the room was excellent and full of character. We dined in both nights and the food was wonderful, breakfast to was superb, so I do not have any hesitation in saying what a really wonderful break we had.

Room Tip: Go for the best when you book, for the extra amount it is well worth it.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hay-on-Wye
Reviewed November 6, 2012

First things to say are that booking was simple and the staff willing, and universally friendly. we booked their website 'Escape on Sunday' promotion which for £169 per couple offered a 'beautifully appointed room, afternoon tea with a glass of champagne, dinner in George’s Restaurant and country breakfast in the morning'.

We arrived after dark travelling down a twisting steep road into Hatherley. It wasn't until the following (sunny) day we realised what a charming place is Hathersage. We had booked the hotel as it is only twenty minutes from Sheffield where we had an appointment the following day - and from that viewpoint, the George was a perfect choice.

I had done quite a lot of searching the net before selecting the George. The price seemed reasonable and as we wanted an hotel rather than a b & b, it seemed a reasonable choice. I did however ask for the quite horrible Teddy Bear to be removed before we arrived I think my wife would have turned round and left the hotel had it been left in the room. (Apparently the hotel prides itself on its Teddy Bears !!!!!!!!!!)

First impressions were mixed, reception was a little dim and was part of the only reception room (other than a separate dining room and to be fair, a tiny 'library' built into a cupboard sized alcove) which comprised a gas lt 'open fire', several sofas, some leather (and to be honest very comfortable) tub chairs and several small tables and chairs spread over the two levels of the room. The room's decor was rather unimaginative and was dominated by some revealed stone and massive, and I'm sure entirely false, central ceiling beams. Ah well!

We were taken to our booked 'standard' room, we hadn't paid the £25 extra for a deluxe room. I had asked for a rear room away from the potential noise of the road that passed the front of the hotel. Mistake! My wife asked for, and we were happily given an alternative room, at the front!

The room I have to say was disappointing; the decor unimaginative and frankly, dated. The bed looked past its best and was in truth rather lumpy - although I cannot claim I had a bad nights sleep on it! My particular horror was the wardrobe which had a curtain drawn across its front rather than doors - unbelievable in a room that normally cost well over £100.00 per night.

We returned to the reception area where we had our promised tea (leaf tea not teabags - bliss) and two hot and delicious scones. We asked for the promised champagne to be served to us before our dinner rather than at tea - again not a problem, the staff are really quite accommodating.

Our dinner, anything on the menu was included in the deal started with a selection of freshly made breads and some sun dre=ied tomato and olive butter - quite good. We both chose scallops and belly of pork to start with and both were properly cooked and attractively served. If I have a criticism, I thought the sauce served with the pork was over salted.

For main courses, I had partridge which was served with an imaginative vegetable mash and properly cooked vegetables. Again attractively presented but the sauce, again, over salted - a pity the ingredients should be allowed to speak for themselves. My wife had bass but asked for it to be served with the accompaniments shown on the menu as served with a cod fillet. no problem again.

I finished with three (miniscule) and not very exciting cheeses; my wife again went off the menu and the George happily made up a fresh fruit salad for her. Full marks for that.

The following morning, buffet breakfast with almost anything one wanted other than a plain muesli (ah well). My wife was happy just with the toast and an excellent marmalade, I inevitably went for the cooked breakfast. Good bacon (although I wish I was sometimes offered what i think is the better tasting streaky bacon option) excellent black pudding, two properly cooked and dark yoked poached eggs, some fresh mushroom pieces and even a flavoursome sausage. What a pity the fresh tomatoes tasted musty - I have no idea why. Excellent filter coffee and again, leaf tea.

Total cost for the night was £184 which included a pre-dinner drink and a port with my cheese; oh yes and 5% added to the bill for gratuities!

Summary - A quite reasonable stay in an hotel with pretentions not quite lived up to. The staff should be thanked for doing their best but bedrooms, beds and wardrobes must be updated if they are to claim the plaudits they so obviously seek for this hotel. Worth the cost - Yes, if taking advantage of one of their offers. If paying full prices - doubtful.

Last point - I really am no expert but I cannot believe the champagne we had really was champagne, my wife did not finish her glass!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank laurelfarmer
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The Hotel was recommended to us as very good, but a little pricey. It was just that. We enjoyed our stay very much, the location, staff, service, food, and accomodation was of a very high standard and we would definitely go back there. It was a treat!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sheffield
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

I'd been recommended this hotel by a family member, and I'm glad I took there advice and stayed here.
The hotel is beautiful it's like a mini castle!
Inside is gorgeous and very cozy.
The service is excellent and they can't do enough for you!
The room was lovely and clean
Breakfast and dinner was extremely nice.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a nice relaxing weekend with good food and a lovely relaxing atmosphere.

I will be returning soon

• Stayed October 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hathersage
The Izaak Walton Hotel
Losehill House Hotel & Spa
Little John Hotel
Little John Hotel
#2 of 2 in Hathersage

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!