“wonderful stay in a beautiful town”
Review of George Hotel

George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hathersage
Reviewed May 15, 2012

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at the George Hotel in early May 2012. The staff was excellent and kind, especially Luke the bartender who provided sightseeing advice. We have stayed in many hotels but the George Hotel had the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in!! The room we stayed in (11) was large and very clean. Breakfast was delicious. I wish we could have stayed an extra day and enjoyed the countryside!

Room Tip: Choose room 11 - great view and comfortable bed
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 10, 2012

My partner and I spent one night at the George last weekend, having booked via lastminute. Despite being in Room 13, we had a great stay! The room was a standard double but was huge, with a lovely bathroom with amazingly powerful shower. My only gripe was the bed, which wasn't very comfortable.

We ate in the restaurant and the food was excellent, if a little pricy. Those who want big portions may be disappointed, but it was fine for us. If you know you'll eat at the hotel it might be worth booking ahead - we didn't, and ended up having to eat later than we'd have liked as the restaurant was busy. Breakfast was excellent.

Hathersage is very pretty and sits amidst beautiful surroundings. We walked from the hotel and were surrounded by fields full of lambs!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bb67Nottingham
Reviewed April 11, 2012

The George has changed my view that British hotels are either overpriced, or grotty, or blandly anonymous: it's a lovely stone building, with a big comfortable lounge, professional but friendly service, nicely furnished rooms, wonderful breakfast, and an impressive range of single malt whiskeys. I suspect I was a bit lucky with a single room rate; in any case, it seemed excellent value.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank nickmcw
Reviewed February 25, 2012

We got a good price for one night on a last minute deal. The hotel is lovely, especially inside with oak beams and a high tasteful standard of furniture. Our room was called a standard room but the size of it was more like a suite. The room was well equipped with decent lighting, a settee and two armchairs, generous tea/coffee facilities and a trouser press. The bathroom was small and disproportionate to the room although it was wholly adequate with a powerful supply of hot water. In my view there should have ben a safe and, oh dear, there was liquid soap!!! The management had obviously never heard of my campaign for proper soap in hotels!
We had the early bird evening meal which was excellent. The service was good, the food was tasty and well presented and the restaurant environment was peaceful and tasteful. The bar was open plan with the sitting area of the hotel and the reception desk (an arrangement which does not always work in hotels) but did so on this occasion. It was a pleasant place in which to have a drink and watch the world go past.
Breakfast was more problematic! I would advise anyone who has paid for B&B simply to ask for a full English breakfast. I made the mistake of asking for "egg bacon and sausage" and a plate of 2 eggs, some mushrooms and a single small sausage duly arrived. I asked about the bacon and was told that it would be brought to me. I sat impatiently with the rest of my meal getting cold along with my coffee (which, incidentally was served in cups broad at the top and tapering so that the liquid cooled very quickly). I ended up going to reception to ask for something to be done and I was pacified although I had to wait for a complete new meal. And, moreover while I do accept that I did ask for "sausage" to be given one single chippolata size sausage seemed to me to be unreasonable. Sorry about the long tale - I still rate the hotel a worthy of 5 stars - but I have related it in the hope that the hotel management will react and sort things out. They are charging £14.25 if you have not prepaid for breakfast and the offer has to be spot on for that price!
Nevertheless we thoroughly enjoyed our stay in a picture postcard hotel with first class facilities and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for room 9 - it is superb!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hibees43
Reviewed February 19, 2012

We stayed for one night in the hotel having booked at the last minute on our trip from Scotland to England. We travelled in through lovely walking country and received a warm greeting as we walked through the door.

Having been shown to our rooms I found that mine still held the smell of new decoration. I am asthmatic and reaised the concern at reception. Nothing was too much trouble. I was shown to a different room at no extra cost. This helpfulness was the mark of the whole stay with offers of help to carry luggage, care for our comfort in rooms, excellent bar and restaurant service. We ordered out food while relaxing in the lounge area and were brought to the restaurant when our food was ready. The food was very good both in the evening and at breakfast time.

This only place that this could have been improved is in the level of noise from corridors, the road and car park and neighbouring rooms. I'm not sure what the hotel could do about this, but it is worth considering.

If you are planning to go walking this would be a superb choice.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor behind the restaurant area. I suspect first floor rooms at the back of...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 30, 2011

We stayed for only one night at The George - but wished we had stayed longer. Its a lovely building and the room - we took a superior room - was spacious and really comfortable and warm, despite the snow and ice outside. The service is first class and check in and out really efficient. The restaurant is excellent and the lounge/bar is a great place to have pre dinner drinks and meet other guests. Food and wine were first class at dinner and breakfast was lovely and calm with a great selection of self-serve and placing an order with the kitchen. We cant wait to go back!

Room Tip: I would suggest getting a superior room as these are more spacious.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JonoLion
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We found this hotel on the website after not being able to decide where to go. We hadn't stayed in the Peake District before so thought we would "give it a whirl". What an absolute pleasure From arriving to leaving we were extremely well looked after. Reception was always manned. The waiters were extremely helpful and professional but they all worked really well together and the fact that they worked in harmony together shone through, leaving us feeling very relaxed about everything. This was a treat type of weekend. It wasnt a stuffy place and the dress code was smart casual but people did dress well for evening meal but it still had that relaxed atmosphere.

The hotel was quite boutiquey and the food - starting with breakfast was plentiful and most enjoyable. The evening meals were absolutely delicious. There was a choice from the specials menu and also an early bird menu and then the a la carte - it was totally delicious. Some would say there wasnt a great deal of the food but the fine dining experience for me was more than adequate and the deserts were absolutely to die for.

Our room was a superior room with a lovely view out into the village which is known to be the place where the Eyre family lived as in Jane Eyre. Apparently, as the story goes, Emily Bronte stayed at The George when she was younger and knew the Eyre family that is how she came to use the names in her book. Hathersage is ideally placed within the Peake District and we visited Bakewell which is a lovely old historic town and we also visited Castleton which was a lovely place. The views into the Hope Valley were awesome, not to be missed.
If I had to choose a hotel at short notice I would certainly always remember this hotel, it was a pleasure to be there and to be honest it is a place I wouldn't mind be snowed in!!! the food was delicious and the bar was well stocked! Go on, enjoy it!! you wont regret it.

Room Tip: We had a superior room. There was lots of room, small bathroom but very well stocked including a mi...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hathersage
Losehill House Hotel & Spa
#2 of 2 in Baslow
5 mi away
Innkeeper's Lodge Castleton, Peak District
East Lodge Country House Hotel

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!