“Lovely Hotel, but a bit short on menus”
Review of George Hotel

George Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hathersage
Kent, UK
“Lovely Hotel, but a bit short on menus”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Hatersage is a tiny town, and it appears that this is the only decent place to stay. It'a a good looking hotel, and the bar and dining area are nicely laid out. The car parking is easy and the staff are efficient. The food is tasty, but I did have a problem with the menu on the days we stayed. As I can't eat fish, I naturatlly looked for meat on the menu. There were three choices, however, one of them was a beef dish with cod cheeks! Rediculous! My choice was therefore only Quail or Pork. My wife had the Quail the first night and said how nice it was, however it was done as a stew and I really didn't fancy it. I therefore opted for the same Pork dish both evenings. It's quite expensive and the portions are tiny, but it's nicely presented. I think that after a days walking in the Peaks, something more substantial is called for. Also, I would expect a hotel like this to change their menu daily, or at least give you more alternatives. The wine list is on the short side, and very much overpriced. The breakfasts are freshy cooked and substantial.
Overall, a great place to stay, if they can sort out their menus!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank JohnCol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I was sitting in my car in Manchester needing a room for the night and didnt want to stay in the City so I had a look at a map and saw that the Peak District ws nearby so I thought, Lovely, I'll do that. I used my HTC phone and tripadviser to search for places. Got a rate here through Hotels.com website and booked and paid. Seemed simple enough. I know nothing about the Peak district but having now driven across most of it, I can say it has much to recommend it as a place to visit.

The hotel is on the outskirts of Hathersage and has parking which is good. It looks terribly smart when you walk in. Nice little bar with a large comfy and stylish seating area. Probably has a nice restaurant too but with set prix menu at £29 for two courses and £36 for three, I wasnt really prepared to find out. Sorry but that is ridiculous money for dinner before you start drinking and the wines basically kicked off from £20 and climbed. You cannot do that without a serious foody reputation and I couldnt see any evidence of one. Olly the bloke minding the place was incredibly pleasand and helpful but the menu is just too steep so I went out to dinner. Had a good hearty meal at the Scotsmans Pack at the other end of the village.

The hotel does not have aircon and it wasnt a warm day but my room must have been 10 degrees warmer inside than in the hall. That would not bode well for a warm summers day.

The Bed was fine the room was a bit old fashioned and pretty average really. Ive stayed in much smarter Pubs and Inns really.

So I slept hot and bothered and that was that.

Breakfast was a disappointment really. Usual stuff nicely laid out and a choice of what to have. Express menu or leisurely Menu. I went express as had to get going and ordered Bacon Sarnie. Read half the newspaper before it arrived. I guess they had to go out and find some bacon? The bacon sandwich was on some pretentious tomato and olive bun which struck me as being heated in a microwave. I may be wrong but that was what the texture told me. That and the fact that the bun stuck to the napkin it was sitting on. Well this bread just does not work with Bacon. So I took out the bacon and ate that and left the bread. How about just an option of white or brown as well as designer bread?.

So anyway. I have no idea what rack rate is but I bet it is a lot, which the place isnt worth. Get real on your menu prices and sort the silly butty out. I think it is somewhat telling that I drove past many busy pubs and Inns on my way to Hathersage and when I arrived at the George I had the entire hotel almost to myself, (one other couple) and there are over 20 rooms.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank sandysviews
Bridport, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2011

This Hotel is very welcoming and the staff are very friendly. We felt very comfortable and had a very enjoyable stay.
The food in their restaurant is outstanding and I would recommend that you book a table.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank harveyhotelhound
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2011

Good welcome, staff professional and friendly, food excellent plus, lovely building: interior high standard designer contemporary/stone classic features, many thanks to the George with compliments.
Hathersage has an open air swimming pool, many local walks, visited the reservoirs, stepping stones Dovedale from Ilam visitors centre and a stop at Tissington was definitely not to be missed.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank 1nightonly
England
Reviewed June 3, 2011

Spent three nights here this week with my husband and three girls - we knew before we went that we had booked the cheapest rooms in the house - £95 B&B for hubby and I, and £95 B&B plus £20 for a put you up bed for the three girls. On most levels this represented good value for money - but would have to say that I would agree with other reviews that when you book these rooms (20 and 21) you need to be aware that they share corridor space with the housekeeping office and a fire escape and doors begin banging (loudly!) from around 6am - these rooms are also the only ones which have rooms above them, and I think a family of elephants must have been in residence (once again early risers!) We were originally put in room 22 at the end of the corridor but it was tiny and very plain with no bath so we asked to move after one night. The hotel arranged that with no problem at all. Rooms 20 and 21 were nicely decorated, the breakfast was great and the overall experience was pretty good. Front of house chap Richard was really great - very friendly and helpful which definitely added to our enjoyment. Would we go back? Probably not as I have a sneaking suspicion that for the area this is quite a pricey place to stay and that with some research you could probably do better. My overall rating would probably have been somewhere between average and very good but you dont get that option!

Room Tip: For peace and quiet book the expensive rooms!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank wheelerhomefarm
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Warm welcome on arrival and shown to room which was a superior overlooking the rear of the hotel so nice and quiet even with a wedding taking place. Room was very clean with all the facilities you would expect - bed was very uncomfortable though and severely dipped in the middle so didn't really have a good nights sleep - replace the bed and it would be perfect. Bathroom had a shower over the bath which was good and powerful but had a shower curtain one of my pet hates !!!

Food was adequate although not overwhelming. Service was top notch. Breakfast was excellent and kept us going for the day until dinner.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MsMarple1
Reviewed May 16, 2011

I stayed here for one night with a group of friends. we all had a lovely stay. The receptionist was very welcoming, the rooms spacious and nicely decorated. The food both dinner and breakfast was excellent - really high quality. No garden area but the beautiful countryside with great walks straight from the hotel make up for this

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hathersage
Losehill House Hotel & Spa
Cavendish Hotel
Cavendish Hotel
#2 of 2 in Baslow
East Lodge Country House Hotel

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!