“OK for a pit stop”

Ranked #4 of 16 Restaurants in Hathersage
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Deli, cafe, coffee shop
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Called in on a sunny Saturday drive around the Peak District. It's pretty small with a tight car park and a few outside tables but we managed to find a space in both. It was probably a temporary thing but we sat right next to a builder skip on the car park by our table so the view wasn't all it might be. Food was good and the service was a little slow but it was busy so maybe it's better at other times.

I would definitely go back (if the builder skip has gone!)

Happyplace253, Manager at Colemans Deli, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear UKcritic,
Thank you for taking the trouble to comment on our deli. We are sorry that your visit was spoilt by the builders skip. The builders are unfortunately taking up a lot of the car park despite complaints by ourselves, they are nothing to do with us but the adjacent restaurant. We are pleased you enjoyed our food which is served as quickly as possible, but obviously in busy times there can be a wait as all our food is freshly prepared. We look forward to seeing you again soon, when the skip will be gone.
KInd regards

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I love this deli, the coffee is fantastic esp the latte. Cakes are amazing and they also have soya milk for vegans/ lactose intolerant. I like the courgette cake. We always head for Colemans on our walks ,as they do not mind boots & you can also sit in their little courtyard . Its a great excuse to walk ... eat cake !!

Happyplace253, Manager at Colemans Deli, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Dear Relaxedparent,
Thank you for your great review and we're pleased you enjoy our cakes so much. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

we piled in there as the taxi has just dropped us outside in the pouring rain but were glad we went in. there are a few tables inside, the coffee was very good, the service friendly and polite (it is probably part of the job description, which i suspect includes the word 'barista' but is very pleasant to find anyway)
we only had teas (china pots and jugs, good chunky cups) and coffees and croissants - a little expensive but good, but they had an attractive menu of fancy sandwiches (goats cheese and rocket rather than cheese and tomato!)and I think I heard paninis mentioned. there is a gentle sloping ramp at the side for wheelchairs (or prams) and a disabled/womens/babychanging combined toilet. some thoughtless bikers had blocked the ramp on the way out, but a courteous passerby swiftly moved the bikes out of the away for us. all pale wood and chalkboard menus and young polite staff. good for a coffee-break or a light lunch

Dear lindsaymcat,
thank you so much for your recent review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Me and my husband were visiting Hathersage on Friday and Saturday, we were trying to find a place to eat on Friday night (and not fancying pub grub) we noticed this lovely little deli were doing homemade pizza, it was our lucky day as the pizzas were amazing!! we had a chorizo and jalapeño pizza which was rolled, made and cooked infront of us in an wood fired oven. All the staff were fantastic and although there was a slight wait (which was expected due to them being so busy!) the staff were uncontrol at all times! Absolutely fantastic, hope they do pizza again in the future!

Happyplace253, Manager at Colemans Deli, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

Dear Paula E,
Thank you so much for leaving a review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience. The pizza night was a huge success and we intend to do more throughout the summer. I apologise for the wait you had, maybe due to the good weather but we had a better turnout than we could have hoped for which was great.
We hope to see you again soon

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Oh dear indeed! May as well have stood in the little carpark and shouted my order for all the attention we were given in here. Waiting on staff blatantly making no effort to acknowledge our presence. Virtualy no space to sit because the place is dominated by the serving counters ( i use the term "serving" with my tongue firmly in my cheek). I can only imagine the serving counters are there for the staff to lean on while they chat with eachother. Shocking service - never again!

1  Thank Jay H
Happyplace253, Owner at Colemans Deli, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

Dear Jay H,
First of all I would like to apologise for the delayed response to your review.
I am very sorry to hear that you were so disappointed with your recent visit. We are as you are aware a very small business with limited seating and are sometimes extremely busy. We often struggle to seat all our visitors and although we have looked into the possibilities of creating more space, it is just not possible.
With regard to the service you received, I am extremely sorry that you were so dissatisfied and I can assure you that this matter has been addressed and we constantly strive to improve our customer service. You were absolutely right to be irritated if you were ignored. As I mentioned earlier, the deli gets extremely busy and therefore service is sometimes slower than others but we do our best to serve customers as quickly as possible.
I really hope that you will give us another chance as we have excellent reviews about our food and drinks so hopefully this was an unfortunate incident.