“Comfort and Tranquility”

Wind in the Willows Country House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Glossop
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed here for a single night on a business trip when a combination of Real Madrid and Girls Aloud fans had taken all the rooms in Manchester. Not your usual business trip hotel but I would thoroughly recommend it for those exploring the Peaks and who, after a hard days hiking, want to relax in comfortable and tranquil surroundings. This is clearly family run, reflected in the geneuine warmth of welcome. My room (Ratty) was a good size with a strong shower and one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. I didn't have an evening meal at the hotel, choosing instead to try the pub at the end of the road. (Separate tip - don't, eat in).
Breakfast was excellent; freshly prepared food and a fine cup of tea. There is also plenty of parking. A gem of a place!

Room Tip: I stayed in Ratty's room. No noise from the hotel or from outside; I suspect that this is the ca...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Ian W, Owner at Wind in the Willows Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments. We hope we can welcome you back, one day, with or without Girls Aloud!

Reviewed December 9, 2012

We were glad to reach the warmth and safety of this hotel after a difficult evening drive through the Peaks. We received a most courteous welcome. Our room was spacious, comfortable, warm and quiet. Ian rustled up a delicious light supper and breakfast next morning was first class. We thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Robin R
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Very comfortable family run hotel which we have used many times when visiting relatives.Location is ideal as not too far from Manchester airport (as long as we avoid rush-hour traffic!) but with country walks on the doorstep, not to mention a golf course and pub within walking distance. Ian's culinary skills are excellent but I would also recommend several restaurants in Glossop from the pub grub of the Wheatsheaf in old Glossop to the Italian cuisine at Va Bene opposite the station.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet and all very different. I particularly like "Lucy Ann" if you don'...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We use this hotel when here for business. It's quiet warm and comfortable, best porridge I have had in a hotel.
Each room as theme in line with the hotels name, very cute Badgers last time.
Drinks in the drawing room would be evenbetter if the fireplace had a roaring log fire in it! Just a thought.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I booked what the booking site (I think I used LateRooms.com) called a 'Single Room', so I was expecting a tiny room in the loft.
Wow, what a pleasant surprise!
It was a large room, with twin beds, ensuite bathroom (which was spotlessly clean) with an abundance of soaps, coffees, teas.
Lots of drapes and cushions, heavy curtains that actually kept the light out - all of this and in the middle of the countryside. The silence was deafening!!
I didn't spend much time downstairs - but from what I saw, it looked absolutely fabulous.
Will I stay there again next time I'm in the area? Absolutely DEFINITELY!!

Room Tip: It's in the middle of the country so I would imagine they're all good!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Our stay was a lovely and relaxing and Alison and Ian were very hospitable. The evening meal was the best. I recommend the mushroom soup - to die for! Our room was comfortable although a little dark, we had room no. 8. I loved all the decor and the hotel is nicely situated just on the outskirts of the town within walking distance to a nice pub although the drinks cabinet is very well stocked!
My only criticism is that on the final morning I heard toast being scraped in the kitchen which turned up on our breakfast table. I felt this let the whole place down a little.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Whilst only travelling somme 20 miles this is the shortest break we have had. The hotel is full of charecter and the owners are very warm and hospitable. We had toad hole room number 10 which was full of charecter with a four poster bed. Theyre were plenty of thoughtful touches throughout the hotel. The breakfast was one of the best I have eaten, anywhere in the UK or abroad. It was our 15th wedding anniversary and was just what we were looking for. If I was a tourist wanting a great base for the dark peak, then look no further.

Room Tip: I'm 6ft 4 and four poster was long enough but room was quite warm being on 3rd floor, but views...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glossop
The Old Hall Hotel
#1 of 2 in Glossop
The Palace Hotel
The Palace Hotel
#6 of 9 in Buxton

Been to Wind in the Willows Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!