“Modern and welcoming”

Windy Harbour Farm Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Glossop B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I had a good stay here whilst walking the Pennine Way. They offered a lift from where the path meets the road at Torside Reservoir, and a lift back the following morning. I felt very welcome and the level of service was excellent. Although my room was quite small (there was little room to move - the bed took up most of the room) and the walls were thin (so that conversations in the hallway were disruptive), the room was immaculately furnished and the bed, and bed linens, were of particularly high quality and so comfortable. The lounge, bar, and dining area were all lovely. I had dinner here as well, and found the food to be exceptionally good - one of the best meals that I've had during my holiday. After a fairly hard day on the Pennine Way, it felt great to have a bit of luxury and to be made so welcome as a walker, even with muddy boots.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank fiona07

Reviewed April 23, 2013

We visited Windy Harbour for Sunday lunch - duck pate, roast beef with all the usual accompaniments and raspberry roulade.
The food was delicious ; freshly cooked local ingredients and the beef melted in the mouth. The portions were generous and the vegetables were cooked to exactly the right stage.
Service was excellent, attentive but unobtrusive. The wine list was fairly short but adequate and varied. The owner chooses his wines from a supplier he has known and trusted for years.
All in all, we had a very happy experience and will make Windy Harbour restaurant a regular place to eat.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hutchy68_10
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We visited Windy Harbour for a group social occasion. About 15 of us were in the party. We chose food from the bar menu. The service was quick and the the quality excellent. Most plates were "cleared" ! The prices were very reasonable. The host was most attentive, the facilities were clean and parking was easy. I would recommend this without hesitation.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nigel_HD
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We attended a reception for Paul & Chris on 13/4/13. We opted to stay so that we could enjoy the celebrations to the end of the night.
We were given a very warm welcome and our case was taken to our room as soon as we arrived.
The meal for the reception was absolutely lovely. The soup was the best I have tasted for a long time. The buffet in the evening was fantastic, lots of choice and very tasty. Puddings were a delight.
The breakfast this morning was a real treat. My husband knows that I have a healthy appetite but I was almost floored by this one. Graham is attentive whilst not overbearing a fine balance but achieved very well.
I would imagine that in the summer this is a very beautiful spot.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank skippyManchester
Reviewed April 5, 2013

My wife and I were at the Windy Harbour Farm Hotel for two nights from Friday 29th March for our friends Steve and Kim's wedding. We were very hospitably welcomed by Lee and Graham, and enjoyed an excellent meal on Friday evening. The staff were very accommodating to the needs of us all and particularly the children in our party. We had full use of the hotel for the wedding which went very smoothly thanks to the staff's efforts. There were no problems adding the cost of meals and drinks to our room tab throughout our stay with the minimum of hassle. The location is fantastic, with marvellous views of the Derbyshire countryside. The children enjoyed seeing the alpacas in the neighbouring field. I thoroughly recommend this hotel to any that appreciate the countryside, or need a venue for a function for around 100 people, like a wedding.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank MarcusOakland
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Myself and my father stayed two nights here visiting family. We'd not stayed at Windy Harbour before but were recommended this hotel, we were not disappointed.

The rooms were lovely, clean and comfortable and had everything we needed. What really impressed us were the staff. Nothing was too much trouble not that we ever needed to ask for anything. The food was excellent and the general feeling of the hotel was warm and inviting. We are already planning a summer trip back to Glossop and will defiantly stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I do feel bad writing this, because the comments about the hosts being very friendly and welcoming are all true, but we were so disappointed by our stay having read all these great reviews. I guess we should have read them more carefully and realised how many were from people attached to the functions - they apparently have a wedding or party pretty much every weekend. There were several parties the weekend we stayed, and the one that was the problem was the late-night karaoke entertainment in the room directly below ours. It was a strange set-up that meant we felt awkward in the bar, since we didn't know the party, and couldn't sleep in the bedroom because of the noise. It wasn't crazily late (entertainment finished at midnight) but I don't go for weekends in the country to be kept awake by noise! Breakfast times are already very early (finishing at 9am even at weekends) and we couldn't get this changed despite being kept up. It was a real shame because we had such a wonderful time in the Peaks otherwise, loved the town and were so pleased with the hotel the first night. I would just suggest that you check before you book, to be clear on whether you are likely to get what you are hoping for.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple