“Perfect for Pennine Way stopover”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Old House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Glossop
The Old House
Ranked #3 of 12 Glossop B&B and Inns
London
“Perfect for Pennine Way stopover”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

We arrived after a long day's walk from Edale over Kinder Scout, so location was perfect for us. Torside Reservoir at sunrise is absolutely stunning, like a mirror.

The property is very clean and well maintained.

On arrival we were given several cups of tea which was extremely welcome. After a quick wash/freshen up, we were given a lift to the local pub which did great food & beer.

Rooms were all you need for a walking stopover, including a TV and ensuite. the shower was of sufficient strength to actually get you clean (which is often a problem in B&B bathrooms).

Breakfast was up to scratch, plentiful and delicious. Packed lunch was also more than acceptable, rolls, crisps, fruit, something sweet and a drink.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Chevy Chase, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

For our first and second nights walking the Pennine Way we stayed at The Old House. There isn't a lot of competition in the area but that didn't deter them from providing a wonderful experience. They offered us a cup of tea as we walked through the door, the room was great (roomy, clean), bathroom excellent. We had booked a deal where they would pick us up at the end of the second day and bring us back on the 3rd morning and that worked out great. They drove us into town for dinner and back (for 2 pounds per person per return trip). Breakfast was good, especially the coffee.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights while walking the Pennine Way. Great room ,good breakfast and amazing hospitality. Welcomed with a cup of tea and cake both times we arrived in. James and Joane tell some great tales and you can tell that they really care about the walkers that come through. It is just off the Pennine Way,. The only disadvantage is that you have to get a lift into the local village for a meal in the evening but again the hosts are more than helpful.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Scottish Borders
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed here whilst walking the Pennine Way. We arrived feeling pretty tired after being blown about by the strong wind on the peaks. We were both greeted by James who immediately offered us a pot of tea in the sun room / cafe which had superb views. The tea was lovely and made us feel much better.
Both James and Joanne are both very friendly and welcoming. The room was very clean and comfortable. The drying room was super to dry our wet boots and clothes overnight. We were offered a lift to the local pub but we were too tired! We both had a good relaxing night's sleep followed by one of the best breakfast's on the Pennine Way. We would both definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Merriott, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012

I stayed here for one night in March as part of my walking the pennine way. The welcome was great and the room was very comfortable. I was offered tea on arrival even though I was rather earlier than I should have been (sorry!) and was offerd a lift to a local pub for the evening and a pick up later (cost a small amount) Very friendly hosts, smashing breakfast and a good packed lunch for the next days walking. I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Walton on Thames
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012 via mobile

I telephoned Joanne to book 2 months before a group of friends and I were due to take on a couple of stages of the Pennine Way on a weekend. Joanne replied very quickly to my email and telephone call and accommodation for the five of us was arranged with no trouble at all. We arrived rather tired after walking 16 miles from Edale on the Saturday night and we were met with a very warm welcome and a cup of hot tea, which was very much appreciated! After showering we were offered a lift into town where we could have dinner in a pub (The Old Peels, which was excellent, some great beers and a very varied menu which had won awards - pick something off the specials board!). For a small fee we were picked up from the pub and we had an excellent night's sleep in a comfortable bed and warm room. On Sunday morning we were offered a delicious full breakfast to order and Joanne prepared a great packed lunch for us which was more than enough to keep us going throughout day 2 of walking as we headed to Marsden. Overall a great B&B and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone, walkers or otherwise! Thanks again Joanne.

Stayed March 2012
lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2011

Staggering exhuasted into the Old House having fallen down the hill leading down to the valley this lovely B&B resides in, I was greeted by James, who within moments had russled up a massive pot of the most reviving tea I had ever had in my life.
The lift to the pub in the evening was greatly appreciated and the breakfast was excellent. I arranged a packed lunch for the next leg of my northbound trip and the rolls and accompaning treats were exceptional. As a keen walker I found the facilities really good, radox for aching limbs, massive soft clean towels and a comfortable firm bed to straighten out my buckled joints. Without a stop here I wouldn't have been in a fit state to continue, but after a night of peaceful sleep I woke feeling 100% better and on I went. Very Happy

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glossop
Wind in the Willows Country House Hotel
Losehill House Hotel & Spa
Premier Inn Manchester (Hyde) Hotel
The Woodlands
The Woodlands
#1 of 12 in Glossop
Windy Harbour Farm Hotel
The Bulls Head Public House, Restaurant & Guest House

Been to The Old House? Share your experiences!