“Perfect ... Just perfect 10/10”
Review of Blenheim House

Blenheim House
Ranked #1 of 2 Etwall B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect ... Just perfect 10/10”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I have now stayed at the Blenheim House twice yet to my shame this is my first review! I would go as far to say this is the most welcoming and impressive hotel I have stayed in. The first time I stayed in a suite, which was immaculately presented with impressive original features throughout. The attention to detail was something that stood out immediately and highlighted the care and passion that the staff have for their hotel. I visited last weekend for the second time, visiting friends in Derby and stayed in a room with two singles. I don't know how they've done it but BH has managed to find THE comfiest beds ever ... it's ridiculous. The room again was immaculately presented with a degree of quirkiness/uniqueness that was completely charming.
The food at BH is amazing! Superlatives can not do it justice! My meal of butternut squash soup, followed by turbot was faultless. The fish was cooked to perfection whilst the accompanying sauce was light but packed full of flavour. Perhaps equally impressive was that the staff seemed equally enthusiastic about the food as their customers. The waitresses were knowledgeable and extremely helpful when asked about any aspect of the menu and were genuine in desire to know how the meal was being received.
During both visits I met the family behind the hotel over the course of my stay, it is easy to see their passion and pride in the hospitality that they offer. This enthusiasm can be seen to be infectious with staff obviously enjoying working there as well as being part of something truly special. BH has set the bar for hospitality and each time I return they keep amazing me more.
Thank you BH for a truly incredible time, I will without doubt be returning and urge everyone if they have the chance to visit, it really is THAT good!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Helga R, Owner at Blenheim House, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Good evening and thank you so very very much for the fabulous review you posted on the Blenheim House back in February and many many apologies for not be able to respond sooner. It is great when we receive such fantastic comments and it is good to know that all our staff reflect the enthusiastic and pride that we have in the Blenheim House and that they are passionate about the job they do for us, we do have a very happy team here. Our chef and his team work long and hard and is indeed passionate about his food and it is pleasing that this comes through in the dishes he produces. As far as our bedrooms go we have put a lot of hard work and thought into getting the right ambiance and uniqueness which compliments this great old building and we are still working at it. Thank you so very much for your fabulous review, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon, many thanks once again. Helga.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2014

A group of friends and myself were lucky enough to spend a weekend here to celebrate a birthday. What a celebration it was! The wine was absolutely delicious and the food was out of this world - honestly, melt in your mouth steak - the staff were bubbly and extremely helpful. We settled into the gorgeous bar area for an evening of chatting and reminiscing until it was time to retire to our bedrooms all steeped in period decor. The suites were expansive and beautifully decorated complete with a four poster bed and enormous bath! I would love to visit again - such a short drive from the centre of Derby away from the hustle and bustle.. just perfect. Thank you for having me!

Room Tip: The suites are absolutely incredible!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Helga R, Owner at Blenheim House, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Good afternoon and sorry for the delay in responding to your perfect review of your stay and dinner at the Blenheim House. We can't thank you enough for the great score and for taking the time to write and hope that you will choose the Blenheim House again when you and your friends get a chance to meet up again. Thank you so much, Helga
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

The hotel, the owners and the staff are all fabulous. I have nothing but praise for this hotel and highly recommend any business or leisure travellers to book. The suites are well worth the little extra but the rooms are great too.

Excellent breakfast when they say fresh fruit they certainly mean it! I've not had a better breakfast whilst away on business.

You have the choice of informal bar meals or the cosy restaurant. We stayed here for a week on business so tried both. I recommend Pizza with Goats cheese and from the bar the Veggie Club sandwich.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Helga R, Owner at Blenheim House, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Good evening and many many thanks for the five star review you gave for the Blenheim House. It means such a lot to both Phil, James, our staff and myself to receive this and we thank you so much for taking the time to write. We always try to make sure that our full attention is always paid to our guests and that they receive our highest service, most delicious food and friendliest staff. I am glad that you received all these, thanks once again.
Derby
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

We live just 10 minutes away, and as I can't think of a plausable excuse to stay overnight I can only comment on the food. In the past we have celebrated birthdays, and wedding anniversary's at Blenheim House, wanting to take my husband out for lunch on his birthday this week a friend recommended the bar meals. We ordered a sharing deli plate to start with, although the lovely warm crusty bread was just enough for two, the delicious meats and cheeses would of fed the family. A little worried we had over stretched ourselves we never the less enjoyed our "mains" , belly pork for me and pie of the day, seafood,for birthday boy. Both were excellant, served with the most delicious chips I have ever eaten and a side of seasonal vegetables, we managed to polish off the lot. Washed down with an excellant Merlot for him and a soft drink for me, the driver, a memorable meal. Just had room for a slice of Birthday cake with the family in the evening! Now back to finding an excuse to stay overnight!!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 4rvinuk
Helga R, Owner at Blenheim House, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Good afternoon and please accept my sincere apologies for not being able to reply sooner to your wonderful review of the Blenheim House and our Lounge Bar Menu. We are so glad that after being recommended that you decided to celebrate your Husband's birthday with us and that you both enjoyed it especially our chips which are always well received. You will have to come over on a Friday as we now serve home-made fish and chips with the batter made from our Peroni Lager....book early as it is very popular. You also might like to know that your five out of five review also went towards the Blenheim being awarded a 'Certificate of Excellence' for 2014, so thank you once again. Regards Helga
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We are local to this venue and decided to have our wedding tea party here after getting married on the 28th December. I cannot praise them enough...nothing was too much trouble...they accommodated our eccentric tea party perfectly, the staff were amazing, friendly and always at hand to sort anything we needed. They set the room up perfectly and our cakes were arranged wonderfully. Excellent, excellent, excellent :)
Our room for the night was amazing, huge bath with the most comfortable bed and there was a lovely bottle of champagne and red roses waiting for us :) it was wonderful. All our guests had a brilliant time and we thoroughly enjoyed our special day.
Phil and Helga are fab, brilliant hosts and we will be staying again (already booked) and we will be going there for any celebration we can think of and make some up so we can visit this wonderful venue again and again.
Thank you for making our day perfect blenheim house....thank you to all the staff and phil and helga.
Perfect and Amazing.

Room Tip: The Sir Samuel Sleigh suite was fantastic :)
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Helga R, Owner at Blenheim House, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Good afternoon and thank you so much for the great review of your wedding held at the Blenheim House. I think both Phil, myself and all the staff on duty enjoyed your wedding just as much as you did, so nice to cater for something so different. We would like to wish you both lots of luck for your future together and also to wish you a very Happy New Year. Thanks once again, we look forward to seeing you in the near future.
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Everything you would expect from a great restaurant. Fab food lovely atmisphere excellent service. We highly recomend this place ti everyone. A class act. The rooms are lovely. They are well designed and luxurious.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Helga R, Owner at Blenheim House, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Good afternoon and thank you for your review of your meal and experience of the restaurant at the Blenheim House. I am not sure if this was your first visit but if it was I hope that we will see you again soon. I have passed on your comments to our chef brigade and restaurant and bar staff and thank you for taking the time to not only write this review but to give us such a good one. Happy New Year and thanks once again.
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Went here in the late summer for a family lunch to celebrate my Father's birthday and I have to say we were all hugely disappointed and I was very embarrassed at having suggested it as a venue. It's a lovely place and so we had high expectations when we arrived, but every aspect of the food was awful - bland and extremely over-priced for what you received. Starters were ok, but only ok, and none of the salad garnish was dressed and had obviously just been taken out of a bag. My main course of pan fried salmon consisted of an extremely small piece of salmon which was under seasoned, salad leaves (again undressed and dry) and lots of new potatoes which were all under cooked. Everybody elses main courses were exactly the same and I think they hoped that serving you lots of potatoes would fill you up. My father chose a desert which came with a toffee ice-cream as he likes to have ice-cream for dessert. However, it turned up (after a long wait and the place was almost empty) without any ice-cream - without a word or an apology. So disappointing for such a beautiful place but they really need to up their game on the food side. I don't intend to visit this place again any time soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Denise B
Helga R, Owner at Blenheim House, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Good evening Denise, we were very upset to receive your review and feel a little annoyed that you have firstly left it so long before writing this review and secondly that nothing was mentioned on the day therefore giving us no opportunity to put things right. As it happens I do remember your party as it was me who had to give your father the bad news of the ice-cream situation. Your mother had already said that he was an ice-cream fanatic so I was not looking forward to telling him that the door to our ice-cream freezer had been left open for some time and all our ice-creams and sorbets had melted. I did offer two alternatives but was informed that quote 'if I had wanted cream or custard I would have asked for it'. Your father also did not wish to choose an alternative dessert and also mentioned that this better reflect on the bill, which it did as we did not charge. We make all our desserts to order, they do not come in ready prepared, (this also is the case with our salads which are also prepared and dressed in-house), so do take time to prepare but I apologise if you felt that this took too long. Like most business we do try to get most things right most of the time but as far as your experience of our restaurant this does not seem to be the case. We are sorry we could not have done more for you on the day.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Etwall
Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court
The Unicorn Inn
#1 of 2 in Newton Solney
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent
Ye Olde Dog & Partridge

Been to Blenheim House? Share your experiences!