“Just like home!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Holmefield Guesthouse
Ranked #4 of 6 Darley Dale B&B and Inns
“Just like home!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

I brought my partner here for his 40th birthday and we both thoroughly enjoyed our two night stay at the guesthouse. What a beautiful building and lovely views. Our room was fab and cosy as the heating was on throughout our stay! Kate and Geoff are really smashing hosts, will go out there way to make sure your stay is memorable which it certainly was! The bad reviews that have been put on here are such a shame! Don't be put off by these clearly these are people that at just negative! Couldn't fault the place one bit! Amazing! Keep up the good work Geoff and Kate we will be back!

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I took my Mama here for a birthday treat as it is an area she loves. 10 mins by car to Bakewell, Chatsworth, Matlock, Cromford etc...
We were in the Stable Block in the Tack Room. It was beautiful decorated, everything in it well planned as the room is small but well thought out. Everything you need is in it. Clean, lovely and warm and with French windows that look out on to the hills.
We arrived in snow and I was worried we would be cold, but our room was toasty. Although the Guest house heating downstairs was broken, there was a roaring fire in the guest living room and 3 heaters in the dinning room.
The dinning room was quite dark in the evenings, which was romantic (not with my Mama though, she did struggle as she is a little deaf and needs to lip read sometimes, but did not worry her enough to ruin anything.)
The food is a good mix of dishes, 4 choices of starter & main, I recommend the steak pie if it is on the menu. I am not a pastry eater normally, but tasted like my Granny's and the filling was jammed in and so tasty.
The breakfasts are perfect & lots of lovely hot coffee & toast available.
Emma looked after us both in the evening & at breakfast, always greeting us with a huge smile and warm and friendly way about her.
The place is clean, homely, beautifully & sympathetically decorated, I will be taking my husband to visit too.

Room Tip: The stable block was lovely. Didn't see rooms in main house.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

We have just returned from a 2 night stay, purchased through Groupon. We arrived on a cold, foggy day, and were shown to our room. As I had guessed from reading reviews on here, this was a quite small room ( I had tried to upgrade , at an additional cost, but was told none available) but very pleasantly decorated and furnished. Despite being on the road side of the building, it was quiet, and was warm. The bed was extremely comfortable, and to my surprise I was warm enough all night, despite a very thin looking duvet.

I decided it would be nicer to sit in the lounge and indeed this was comfortable with lovely views over the garden, to open countryside, but the coal fire my chilly bones was looking forward to was only just lit ( at about 5pm) and took ages to get going. Having a coal fire at home, I know they can take a bit of coaxing to life, but the room was chilly without it. After our evening meal the fire was better, but still not very lively! On the second afternoon I spent an hour in the lounge at a similar time and the fire wasn't lit - which was a shame on such a dank and dreary day.

We had our evening meal at the guest house, which was enjoyable, although very simple.
It would have been nice had we been offered a coffee at the end of our meal. We chose not to have a meal on our second evening as the menu didn't appeal, and the sweets were the same as the night before! Breakfast was ok, but not 5 star in my opinion. There was only one fruit available, the full English was enjoyable, but we had to ask for additional toast ( having one slice each served before the cooked breakfast came) and for a second cup of coffee. My husband had porridge on the second day ( instead of a cooked breakfast) This was served plain, with no offer of sugar or cream - or a spoon!! Small things - but just not what I would expect of a 5 star guest house.

Looking at the brochure, I noticed that there should have been bathrobes available in the room, and the hospitality tray is described as "extensive". There was coffee and tea available, with 2 small packets of biscuits, but no hot chocolate,only one fruit tea bag ( which wasn't replaced the second day) no bottled water. On checking my groupon voucher I saw that we should have been offered mulled wine on our arrival.

In summary, a lovely house, lovingly restored, with much to recommend it, but marred by a lack of attention to the more generous details that I would expect from a 5 star guest house. Had we seen our hosts I would have mentioned these things in person.

Room Tip: Avoid smaller rooms if possible, but don't be worried about road noise. We stayed in room 2.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Julie P
holmefieldguesthouse, Owner at Holmefield Guesthouse, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Thank you for your review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and that you found your room quiet and warm with a very comfortable bed. We would agreed that our guest lounge is lovely and with views to die for which is why we bought the house ten years ago and lavished much love and hard work on the renovations which we are pleased you appreciated. I am sorry I had difficulty lighting the fire and keeping it going adequately during your stay but did ensure the central heating was kept on all day so that the house kept lovely and warm. Our menu changes every day but we do not change the desserts as often at this time of year as we cannot keep too many options fresh and because they are not included in the promotion you took advantage of, have not been as popular as they are normally. I am sorry I didn't see you on departure due to being occupied in the kitchen (a problem during breakfast time) but I do hope that upon reflection you enjoyed your stay and I think if the weather had been brighter it might have lifted your spirits a little more. We hope you will visit us again.
Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

Holmefield Guest House is the perfect place to escape for a couple of days. We paid a small supplement for the Haddon hall room which is absolutely stunning. The entire guest house was spotless and is a guaranteed 5 star experience.
Not only is Kate (the hostess) friendly, but shes also helpful, there was nothing we were found wanting for. The most special part of the stay has to be the high backed, roll top bath in the room itself...lying in this and looking out across Darley Dale is a complete relaxation experience not to be missed!
We ate at the Guesthouse both nights that we were there and were extremely happy with the well presented and tasty, home cooking. Be sure to spend some time relaxing in the lounge by a lovely fire. We will definately be returning here!

Room Tip: It is well worth paying the supplement for a premiere room, especially for the view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MissNaomiSmith
holmefieldguesthouse, Owner at Holmefield Guesthouse, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review, so glad you enjoyed our guest house and our freshly prepared food. It was a pleasure to meet you both and we hope to see you again in the future.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

We were booked in for the 11th&12th of feb.When we got there the guesthouse was totally closed. We did get there slightly early so we waited till after 4pm. That was when the reception opened!. What a time to open?, after 4:30 I thought I would give the hotel emergency mobile a ring. The proprietor said that as far as he's know's there was know one booked in tonight. He said I will contact my wife to find out more and ring you back!. He did not ring back. No surprise to me?. We got a call from a staff member how said there was know one available to open up so was asked would we like are money back?. The next day the owner contacted me to say we were not booked in at the guesthouse for the11/12 feb,she said it was are mistake she said we were booked for the 12/13th feb. this was totally not true, she was very rued & very unprofessional. I would not recomend this guest house to anyone. Stay well away.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Andrew B
holmefieldguesthouse, Owner at Holmefield Guesthouse, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Oh Dear! This gentleman has got his facts all wrong. Our check in times are clearly stated on the confirmation email. He booked on the 29th January for 2 nights. 12 & 13 February, email confirmation sent same day confirming double room for those dates. He actually turned up at our guest house on the wrong date and then telephoned our emergency number upon finding no-one home. I had arranged a day out with family for the 11th at Christmas so certainly would not have booked him in for those days. He spoke to my husband who was in a meeting at work hence why he didnt personally phone back and he told him that we did't have anyone staying that evening, the guest replied we had and he had confirmation of his booking. A member of staff telephoned this guest within 5 minutes and explained we did not have any bookings for that day. The gentleman was quite aggresive, in fact when she telephoned me to update she was in tears. I contacted the guest the following morning to try to resolve the situation by offering alternative dates as he had made a mistake but was met by abuse and shouting both by the guest and his wife in the background. I explained that I had a copy of the email confirming the booking which he had agreed he had received but he would still not be placated. I was then threatened by posting of tripadvisor and also a complaint going to Groupon who the gentleman had purchased a voucher from and was told 'I will never work again'! At this point I could see we were not going to achieve anything as he refused to accept written evidence that the fault was his. Tripadvisor is a marvelous vehicle to let other people know your opinions but please lets stick to facts and not use it as a weapon to achieve discounts, refunds or make false accusations which are very harmful to independant business.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

Every thing from the view to the bedroom to the quaint bar and lounge with an open fire roaring while looking out at the snow made this place a beautiful experience. The food was just right, not too enormous a breakfast and very tasty. Staff were more than friendly and even though this hotel is on the main road, we had a bedroom facing it and could not hear a thing. Definitely would go back - went on a Groupon voucher but would pay full price without question.

Room Tip: Stayed in Room 2, it was small and with no bath but very pretty and comfortable and most of all WARM...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your lovely comments, glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again in the near future.
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

My mum and her husband stayed her on a Groupon my sister brought them for xmas. They both loved it, the staff were amazing, my mum is blind in one eye and struggles with stairs, they put her in a beautiful room (stables) that was perfect for her. the place was stylish and spotless, the food was beautifully cooked and presented.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review and for your telephone call prior to your mum's visit. It makes it easier for us to try to accommodate individual guest needs if we are aware of any issues before allocating rooms which are going suitable for your needs. It was a delight to welcome your mum and dad and to cook for them. Hope to see you again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Darley Dale
#1 of 51 in Matlock
Barringtons
Barringtons
#3 of 6 in Darley Dale

Been to Holmefield Guesthouse? Share your experiences!