“We will return to this beautiful area but probably not to Holmefield”

Holmefield Guesthouse
Ranked #4 of 6 Darley Dale B&B and Inns
Ayr, United Kingdom
“We will return to this beautiful area but probably not to Holmefield”
Reviewed August 20, 2011

The guest house is undoubtedly a beautiful property in a very nice area however I have a few reservations about returning to Holmefield. Firstly I believe the room we were allocated was fairly small and as it was a side room it had a limited outlook. On reflection it would have been better to pay a bit more for a front facing , possibly more spacious, room.

The owner of the property was reasonably friendly but I have certainly stayed in more friendly guest houses.

My wife was disappointed at breakfast time when she asked if it would be possible to have a poached egg (which admittedly was not on the menu) to be told by the waitress 'we don't do poached eggs'. The premises has a 5 star AA rating. There were only two other people in the breakfast room while we were there. I think customer care in this instance was a bit lacking.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Stewart65
holmefieldguesthouse, Owner at Holmefield Guesthouse, responded to this review, October 20, 2011
Thank you for your review and comments, we are glad you enjoyed the wonderful area and indeed if you were to book again, the very best views are from the rooms situated at the back of the house and they are indeed much larger than the standard room I believe you must hae occupied. I am sorry you felt that the choice of breakfast items were too limiting and we will be reviewing our menu as a result of your comments. We do try to accommodate each guest's specific dietary needs and therefore, we can only apologise if you felt this was lacking during your stay. Geoff and Kate are always available should you need to speak to them directly regarding any other requests and if you had been unhappy with your room choice we would have been only too happy to upgrade you to a more luxurious room should one have been available.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2011

We recently stayed at the Holmefield Guest House during a trip to the Peak District. We received a friendly and warm welcome from Kate as soon as we arrived, and were very happy to be offered a free upgrade from the original room that we had booked (due to the slightly more expensive room not being occupied on the night that we stayed). The room that we stayed in was beautifully furnished and had an absolutely breathtaking view across the valley. Holmefield is in an excellent location on the main road between Matlock and Bakewell; in spite of this, I can honestly say you cannot hear any noise from the road.

We enjoyed a great nights' sleep in one of the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in! The guest house really did try to offer everything that you could wish for, including a huge DVD library, the offer of drinks from their bar, evening meals (can't say we had one but whatever they were cooking smelled amazing!), and in general I felt that if we had come across any problems we could have asked Kate and she would have done her best to fix them.

The breakfast was lovely and we enjoyed a table in a large bay window allowing us to again take advantage of the beautiful view while enjoying a really tasty cooked breakfast.

I haven't ever written on a review site like this but had to recommend this place because we enjoyed our nights' stay so much!! Definitely worth a stay if you're up in the Peak District!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
holmefieldguesthouse, Owner at Holmefield Guesthouse, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Thank you so very much for taking the time and trouble to write such a wonderful review of our guest house, it has really made our day!! We do hope to see you again in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2011

There is no doubt that this is a lovely house, well maintained and with wonderful views. However, there were occasions of poor service, such as the room wasn't properly tidied while we were out. The bed was shoddily made, glasses and bottles from drinks that we ordered the day before were left and not cleared. Things ordered in good time, had been forgotten. We paid £129 per night. Not a vast amount, I know, but these are the basics. Breakfast was hit and miss and slow in coming, being partly inedible on the second morning. Saying all of this, I don't believe that it is a simple case of neglect, but of staffing. I got the impression (and I may be wrong) that the woman of the house did all of the cooking. This is tricky when everybody turns up for breakfast between 8.30 - 9.00am. I can't imagine the difficulties of running a guest house, but I have stayed in a few that have been cheaper and run more efficiently.
The couple who run it are pleasant and friendly. The common rooms are charming, well furnished and with provision for the internet. There is a bar, a DVD library and when the weather is good, a patio area with seating. For getting about and seeing the area around, it is well placed and an efficient taxi service, (that the house can order for you), will get you where you want to go in the evenings.
All in all, I would recommend staying here, but with your expectations well managed, as far as basic service goes. If this sort of things doesn't bother you. It would be about perfect.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
holmefieldguesthouse, Owner at Holmefield Guesthouse, responded to this review, June 29, 2011
Thank you for your comments about our lovely house, we love it too which is why we are upset that you have chosen this vehicle to make us aware of our shortcomings rather than speak to Geoff and I over the weekend particularly when there have been many instances where Geoff and I have spoken to you to relate messages that taxis were waiting etc. However, this apart we would like to address a couple of the issues in your review. Firstly the servicing of your room. All guest rooms are serviced each day provided that they are vacated before the staff finish their duties at 12 noon. I understand that you were rather late leaving and this may have been the reason why attention to detail was not as it should have been, however, as stated in our welcome filder, guests only need to ring dwn to receptin for any additional items they might require. With regard to the bottles and glasses left, the chambermaid did seek my advice on this matter as the bottle of champagne still contained half of its contents, I instructed her to leave it in the chiller as you had done, thinking that you would be finishing off the bottle upon your return - not an unusual thing to think. Again you could have rung down to have these items removed if the were causing you a problem.
With regard to lack of service, as you will recall in one of our many emails before your arrial, we made suggestions for your evening meals together with a brief resume of whch each restaurant was like, we also booked taxis for you a couple of weeks in advance for both of your nights to ensure you were not left stranded. When you made me aware of my mistake in forgetting to put cammpagne in your room, I immediately fetched flutes and iced chiller and brought the champpagne up to your room, I apologised profusely and I thought the matter had been dealt with, obviously not as you are still upset about this oversight. I can only apologise again, I am only human and occasionally make mistakes.
On to your complaint about breakfast, my husband was in the dinig room togethr with a member of staff, if your breakfast was not satisfactory, it is much bettter to say so there and then to give us the opportunity to put the matter right, not much point writing in tripadvisor about something we can no longer rectify. As to the speed of service, it was most unfortunate that all our guests decided to descend at the last innings i.e. after 9.15 and before 9.30 a.m. we will look at ways of speeding up our service but most of our guests are quite happy to chat to loved ones and take in the views or read one of the complimentary newspapers, we do try to prepare each individual breakfast in under 20 minutes but will look into maybe allocaing time slots for each guest, we will do some market research into this and make improvements where we can.
So to summarise, we are really sorry you did not feel that we offered a sufficient level of service to you and your wife, we have gone to a great deal of expense to equip all our rooms with telephone system so that they can alert us to any problems they might experience, we do not have a 24 hour manned reception but do our best in providing 5 star guest house accommodation and we are sorry that this set up was not your cup of tea on this occasion.
Sleaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Just spent a lovely weekend with my wife at this fantastic guest house. Ideally situated between Bakewell and Matlock, it offers beautiful scenery and the accomodation offers the perfect place for relaxation.
Breakfast was excellent, a selection of cereals, yoghurts and juices followed by a choice of cooked options. Coffee and tea were readily available and the portions were just right.
Was a little concerned regarding traffic noise, but we were in Room 1 at the front of the main house and didn't find it a problem at all.
Would definitely reccomend and would happily return.
Thanks Geoff & Kate

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
holmefieldguesthouse, Owner at Holmefield Guesthouse, responded to this review, June 16, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to write a review, we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the room to be of good quality. The room you staed in is the only one in our guest house that faces the road and we have had double glazing installed, it is reassuring that you found the traffic noise not to be a problem. If guests are concerned about noise, please ask for a rear facing room on booking.
Thanks again fo your lovely comments and we hope to see you again, dont forget we offer a loyalty discount for returning guests!
Nottingham
Reviewed April 26, 2011

Greeted like old friends, yet another great stay with outstanding quality of food on offer. The fact that the mini bar is un manned and is done on trust is a tribute to Geoff and Kates trust in their guests. Nothing is too much trouble and every room is different yet perfectly done. Stayed in Keddleston and although on the main room we were not disturbed by the noise. The views over the Derwent Valley are truely amazing! Will be back sampling another room in August. PERFECT ROMANTIC GETAWAY

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2010

I recently booked all the rooms at Holmefield for a family weekend get together. This was to enable my wife's family to come from all over the country to celebrate her special birthday. I considered several possible venues before deciding on Holmefield. It turned out to be one of the best decisions I have ever made. It was the perfect venue for our family celebration.

As its name implies it has a very homely and comfortable atmosphere. Geoff, Kate and their staff could not do enough for us. The accommodation was luxurious, the evening meals were fabulous and the views from the property are really beautiful. It was interesting to sit back and watch the steam trains going past the bottom of the grounds during the day. In the evening we enjoyed seeing hot air balloons flying about and landing in the fields opposite the property.

In the view of all those who spent the weekend there, Holmefield justly deserves its 5 star rating for accommodation and service. I personally would highly recommend it to anyone who would benefit from a little tranquil luxury in a beautiful part of the country. I will certainly not hesitate to back there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Liverpool
Reviewed August 23, 2010

I rang Kate very last minute having read good reviews on Trip Advisor, and she was very helpful on the phone and accommodating in trying to best juggle her bookings so she could accommodate us at 2 days notice.
On arrival I was rather nervous to see that the house was right on the busy A6 but i needn't have worried ..... it is a substantial stone house which amazingly cushions road noise. The views are stunning across the terrace, lovely gardens and rolling valley with steam railway in the middle distance - sadly we didn't see any steam trains during our briedf stay but it would have been an idyllic sight.
Most of the rooms overlook the gardens and valley, and looking from the landing into a couple of rooms which were being changed over "between guests" some of them looked really swish with eg. roll top bath by the fire. At 2 days notice we got one of the smaller rooms on the side of the house, but it was still perfectly equipped for all our needs and very well presented. This was probably the room nearest the road and road noise was quite noticeable if the window was open - but not at all with the window closed and a fan was thoughtfully provided. We got a very comfortable nicely furnished room with all the little niceties such as tea and biscuit supplies (topped up on request) and free wifi. The hotel also has a lovely guest lounge overlooking the valley with a great selection of DVDs, books and magazines, and complimentary sherry before the evening meal :-)
Breakfast was home cooked and of a very good standard, and the hotel also provides evening meals on most evenings - to be booked in the morning. The menu is not extensive but is well pitched to cater for most mainstream tastes, and the dining room
is lovely with stripped wood floors, richly coloured walls and tablecloths, and again the fantastic view from the large bay window over the valley. We decided to eat in on our last evening and thoroughly enjoyed our meal ... an added bonus was the extremely generous measure of wine our host poured for a "large glass".
Darley Dale is not in itself a very picturesque destination , but the Holmefield is extremely well situated for touring the area, with Chatsworth, Bakewell, Haddon Hall, Ashbourne Matlock etc. all within a very short drive.
All in all we had a great stay which we also though was fantastic value at £89 a night. Last but not least we fell in love with the 2 pet donkeys in the paddock, so hope to return sometime to pat their necks once more! Totally recommend it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
#1 of 52 in Matlock
Riverbank Guest House
Riverbank Guest House
#5 of 52 in Matlock

Been to Holmefield Guesthouse? Share your experiences!