“Never again”

Ranked #2 of 5 Restaurants in Clifton
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Set in a charming Georgian building in Clifton, Rajpoot is one of Bristol's finest Indian restaurants. Set over two levels, the interior is equally traditional - complete with crisp linen tablecloths, silver cutlery and huge windows overlooking the Downs. The menu covers the principal regions of India and includes familiar favourites, cooked as they would be in Indian homes. Popular dishes include the tandoori trout barbecued over a clay over; lamb shashlik; and chicken chat served with a twist of lemon and minted yoghurt dressing
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We had a VIP guest to entertain and the result of a web search indicated that Raj Poot was one of the best Indian restaurants in Bristol. Our experience was far from that. I have lived in Bristol since 1997 and the food served by Raj Poot was the worst I have encountered in Bristol. The service was equally poor; a young waiter who obviously had no training or experience attended us with uncertainty and looked confused when quized on various dishes offered on the menu. The bill for 4 people was just over £125.00 and did not represent a good value either.
I would not recommend this restaurant.

There are newer reviews for Rajpoot Restaurant

Reviewed February 7, 2014

I continue to be amazed by the sheer awfulness of Indian Restaurants in Bristol. Comedy service, bland food, creeping prices and total disregard for fresh, quality ingredients.

I remember going to this restaurant many years ago, and it was one of the more acceptable Indian Restaurants in Bristol. But something has happened! It looks tired, the focus seems to be on the takeaway part of the business, the owners must have changed I think.

Unfortunately, this restaurant is now like most Indian Restaurants in Bristol, homogenised food, waiters who would do better in Fawlty Towers than attempt to give you a pleasant dining experience, and most disappointedly, the food is well below standards. If this were allowed to happen in Birmingham, Manchester or London, the Curry Police would put the owners, chefs and waiters behind bars.

1  Thank Fish P
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Easily the most abnoxious place i, or any of the people with me, have ever tried (!) to eat in. We were more than eager to eat here, but after the unfriendly welcome and then the pints of Cobra beer that were UNDRINKABLE as they tasted so off, we had to leave. We would have been happy with an apology and replacement drinks but instead all we got was argument from the very grumpy waiter, telling us how wrong we were. Unfortunately my girlfriend insisted on paying for the mostly undrunk beers - we were more than justified to just leave. It leaves me wondering how bad the food is. The sooner this place goes under, the better. If you want to be treated like a human being and eat good food as well, go a little further down whiteladies road to piazza di roma (where we went afterward and had a great meal) or the black boy inn, another fantastic place around here. Note that this Rajpoot is not affiliated with the Rajpoot in Bath, which apparently is excellent.

2  Thank Dr_P_Pigglestein
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Friendly service. Amazing food. One of the few restaurants where the takeaway is as good as sitting in the restaurant. Its now my favourite curry in town.

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We arrived early in the evening & were for a while the only ones in the resturant. Within a short time, this soon changed & after eating the food it became obvious why.
Every dish was well presented & delicious. Freshly cooked, you could tell the chef took pride in his dishes. One of the finest indian meals I've had & without doubt the best nann bread. Not cheap, but great quality food is worth paying a little more for