“Don't bother to go - what a rip off!”

The Hidden Tearoom and Bistro
Ranked #5 of 5 Coffee & Tea in Castleton
Belper
“Don't bother to go - what a rip off!”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Visited Castleton on our way back from a night at the Navigation Inn, Buxworth. Pub well worth a visit but unfortunately the atmosphere is ruined by its proximity to the A6 - constant traffic noise! Went into the tea rooms but only wanted tea. I stated quite categorically that I wanted only tea but my partner agreed to have scones too. He didn't ask for them but the somewhat surly owner suggested that he have them. When our order arrived, there were four scones with jam and cream - he'd taken absolutely no notice of me whatsoever. I wasn't hungry so didn't eat anything. The tea was insipid to say the least. Upon leaving, we were astounded to be charged £11.50. What the hell? No wonder the place was empty! Tea for two, four scones and cream that looked like it had seen better days! Avoid at all costs. There are plenty of other places in Castleton to get a decent cuppa at a fair price. I decline from giving this place any stars whatsoever as it doesn't deserve it! Oops, can't submit review without giving a star rating.... Reluctantly then, one.

Visited February 2013
8 Thank Daveena D

Manchester
“The Worst Cafe on The Planet”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Revolting in every respect.

Quite easily the worst cafe I have ever had the misfortune to visit.

I suggest you google 'dollys castleton food hygiene' and read the horror story of the disgusting evironment this rude man keeps and serves food.

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank KenThePenManchester
“Rude owner”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Nice scones but the owner was very rude when I tried to start a conversation with him. This was unacceptable as a paying customer who did nothing to provoke it.

5 Thank LettiH
UK
“Crazy owner”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

The owner said some very worrying things to my friend and me when we popped in for a take away coffee while waiting for a nearby event to start. He was rude and abusive about certain types of customers he gets and blamed a number of things of his lack of custom. His staff seemed frightened of him when he walked into a room.

It was a very odd experience and one we will never repeat.

Visited August 2012
7 Thank flossy1Uk
UK
“Don't bother”
Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

Popped into this tea shop for tea and a cake. Went upstairs and not a soul about. Eventually a grumpy old man came up the stairs and asked us if we wanted soup. No, we wanted afternoon tea and wifi so we could check in with family back home. When asked if he had wifi, he replied 'no, you come here to eat not play'! Not us, I'm afraid, we walked out and went to the three rooves tea shop instead, where we received a beautiful cream tea, lovely friendly service (Kay) and free wifi. Hurrah, for three rooves. Do not darken the door of the 'hidden tearoom'. Like others have said, this place needs to stay well and truly hidden!

6 Thank Holheaven