“No wonder it is hidden”
Review of The Hidden Tearoom and Bistro - CLOSED

The Hidden Tearoom and Bistro
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Like other reviewers we popped in this tearoom after a walk in the local area.We went upstairs and shown a to a table by someone who i suppose was the owner,he then asked what scone we would like, we answered we would look at the menu,he asked us twice more about scones and when we said we would just like a drink he said we must have cake as well.His attitude was take it or leave, it, so we left and had a drink in a tearoom opposite the car park.This man ( who smells like an ashtray) is so rude he does not deserve to have any custom when other restaurants and cafe's are much friendlier and offer great service.This place should be avoided as the owner is rude and is only interested in selling his overpriced scones and cakes.

7  Thank Terry H

Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stopped at Castleton for a walk, and wanted a snack before setting out. It was a sleepy and sunny day and we were attracted to the Hidden Tearoom as it had outside (extremely rickety) seating away from the main road traffic. I also fancied the fruit cake and Cheshire cheese. I had some reservations though; it did look rather seedy and not particularly clean, but we stayed to sit in the sun and, well, we weren't having cooked food! Our order arrived reasonably promptly, but it definately wasn't the Cheshire cheese I was expecting, just rather sweaty supermarket Cheddar and very average fruit cake. My partner had scones, which were OK if on the small side, with jam which looked home made, but was an unattractive brown shade. I then realised that the scruffy, dirty-looking unshaven chap who'd been leaning on the bridge smoking was, in fact, the owner. He swanned in an out (in his filthy shoes), glowered at customers and the very nervous-looking waiter, served some ice-cream from a pretty frosted-up freezer and went for another fag.

The unhappy couple on the next table chatted to us. They said they'd only wanted a cup of tea but were told by the owner that they had to have food as well and that there was nowhere in Castleton that would only serve drinks. They ordered a toasted tea cake but were then told that they couldn't have that as it was after 12.00........ They ordered scones too, with the brown jam.

We paid and left. I should have complained, but knew that this would result in an argument with a fairly aggressive-looking character, it would be upsetting and ruin the rest of my day, so I didn't.

I felt that we had twenty-five minutes in some weird League of Gentleman sketch. It was a thoroughly unpleasant experience and I urge you not to go. This could be a lovely little cafe in the right hands, serving a range of delightful drinks, with or without food!

9  Thank Hilltop147
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We very unimpressed by this establishment, having originally decided to give it a try as it seemed different, quirky, and off the beaten track and therefore wanted to support it. However we decided not to eat and drink there and won't be returning after our conversation with a man who we presumed is the owner. In a nutshell he wasn't prepared to serve my partner a cup of tea unless he had something to eat with it. What made things worse was that my partner didn't fancy a cream tea, doesn't like chocolate cake and so asked if he could have a flapjack. He was told flapjacks were only served to children! To top it all the man was smoking a cigarette outside the tearoom - which didn't give a professional impression - and the smoke was drifting over the outside eating area where, as non-smokers, we wanted to sit with our young baby. We obviously just voted with our feet and went somewhere else. I don't believe the owner is serious about running this place / making any money with this attitude as there is such a wide choice of alternative places to eat and drink on offer in Castleton - why would you put up with this behaviour?

10  Thank Sarah D
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We asked for a cup of tea at this so called "Tea Room". Not, you would think, an unusal request. We were met with rudeness from the owner, Mike Clark, who wasn't prepared to make us tea unless we had something to eat too. He continued to be rude as we left the buildng. Later that day a lady at another tea shop told us there were often complaints about him and he had been known to throw crockery at his staff.

Don't waste your time with him. There are plenty of other places in the village where you will receive a courteous and friendly welcome.

10  Thank Sue B
Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

The man running this place can be extremely friendly and the beef burgette I had was absoutely wonderful. Be warned though I think the owner might treat some people differently and may not want to serve them but he was very friendly to us and I think it you are nice to him you get good service in return.

2  Thank John T