YHA Castleton Losehill Hall
$146
$72
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsself catering kitchenyouth hostelbunk bedsdrying roomcommunal areascommunal kitchenmam torgreat facilitiesfit for purposefeed the animalsgreat buildingwood burningtoilet showerrooms are basicstaff were really helpfulfamily roompeak district
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed in a shared room, which looked immaculate. The toilets, showers and kitchen were all spotless, and after a soak in the rain I was very glad of the drying room. The service was excellent at the restaurant and there was always a friendly and helpful member of staff on reception. I'm already planning my next trip.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Sue S
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We stayed in the West Mews house of the hostel which you can hire for exclusive use and it was perfect for our group of 1-40 year olds ! It was spotless and situated in a very beautiful part of the country. We had lots of children who were well occupied by roaming around the woods and feeding the goats. It was an excellent stay and would visit again

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank jigs01
Reviewed May 8, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night over the bank holiday weekend. Booked a private en-suite room which was a decent size with a bunk bed and wet room. Towel hire is available at £2 per towel.
The YHA recently moved into these new premises at Losehill Hall. Everything was new and fresh. While only a 10 minute walk into Castleton town centre, there is plenty of parking (which the old site couldn't offer) and was quiet at night. It is also a few steps away from the path up to Lose Hill. Didn't use any of the shared facilities (kitchen etc.) during this visit. Ate in town as plenty of choice. Can recommend the Rose Cottage for a good cooked breakfast at a decent price.
Would return as makes a great base for exploring the Peaks.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank SpeedDemonS
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I stayed here for one night only after I was evicted from a previous Hotel at short notice owing to a mix up. It is located a short walk from the centre of Castleton (approx 10 minutes to the end of the driveway + another 5 minutes to get to the actual building).

The place was clean and very well looked after. The staff their went out of their way to accommodate me at very short notice late in the afternoon of arrival and I think they deserve all the praise they get. Despite having only a few rooms left I was only charged for single occupancy and I thought this was very decent of them.

The YH has a lot of good facilities, nice bar, beautiful grounds, internet access etc.

There was a very large party of university students staying the evning I was there so I was expecting noise well into the night but I never heard a peep - not like the students when I was at university. Beds were really comfortable and for the price I can only find one minor gripe about this place, which was there was no so soap in my en-suite bathroom (I don't think this was an ommision I get the impression they don't do this as standard but I stand to be corrected). Not such a big deal but they put soap in the communal tiolets so why not in the rooms?

I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank LeHig
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We had booked a family room, en-suite. When we arrived, we were given a very beautiful room, 2 bunk beds and a very nice en-suite. However, the room was extremely cold, the heating wasn't working in that room. It was too cold to stay in for all of us. We were then moved into the East Wing, where we had no en-suite, the room was clean and warm. there was only one toilet/shower available in the building and there were 6 rooms in that building, so a potential of 24 guests. There was also very limited utensils in the huge kitchen, which would otherwise have been a very good kitchen. A very beautiful building on the outside, but a sadly disappointing visit.

Room Tip: Ashbourne with en-suite
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family