“change is afoot”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“change is afoot”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The George has been our pub of choice for a number of years when visiting the peak. Mainly because of the friendly staff and consistently good food. This changed today. We noticed the usual friendly faces were not about but thought no more of it. I ordered the Cumberland ring and mash my friend the chilli and rice. The food arrived unceremoniously and my banger and mash was before me. All the veg stuffed into what tasted like a frozen yorkshire pudding. The mash was microwaved to to superheated temperatures whereas the 'sausage' Sat atop everything else was tepid. I couldn't eat it, when I returned it to the bar I told them it was rubbish. The barman disappeared and returned with the 'cook'

Now up to this point an apology and a refund would have been sufficient, what I got was a disgruntled young lady scowl at me and justify the meal by saying the mash came out of the microwave the same time as the Cumberland came out of the deep fat fryer! Followed by an indignant "what do you want me to do about it" as she flounced off back to the kitchen. So despite the George having our peak pound every time we visit for years, this change in quality and friendliness means we won't be returning again.

There are enough venues chasing my money in castleton
I think it's time to find a new place.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank ukfox

“Dog friendly, very welcoming, lovely food”
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

On a very wet night in November I asked the bar staff if ok for us to have two dogs, we were advised this was no problem, even though the bar was very full, a gentleman kindly let us share his table.
The food was ordered, drinks served, all within a few minutes.
We didnt wait too long for two pie and chips, which were the short wait.
Two staff gave the dogs a treat as we were eating, which we thiught a lovely touch.
ALL FOUR OF US WOULD RECOMMEND A VISIT !!!

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Friday lunch after a good walk”
Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

Friendly welcome, good beer, nice atmosphere, very good sandwiches (roast beef with Stilton and pork with stuffing) and perfect home made chips. Good British Pubs don't get any better than this. Perfect for a relaxing lunch.

1 Thank Phillip_Leslie_1961
Reading, United Kingdom
“Better than average pub lunch”
Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

Pretty decent pub for lunch; real fire, specials board, and a decent beer selection. Two typical veggie options but done very well and good portions - the homemade chips were excellent. The pan fried salmon 'special' was disappointing, a merge fillet drowned in creamy sauce. Would try another of castleton's many pubs on our next visit.

UK
“Amazing food”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We eat here regularly. Great food, bonkers portion sizes but fantastic quality and great after hiking. Lovely staff and service always consistently good.

Visited August 2012