“Sage Afternoon Tea”

Dining options: Reservations
Derby, United Kingdom
“Sage Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

First impressions were that the Restaurant could do with a little "tlc", ripped wallpaper, chairs refurbishing and just a general "up lifting". Afternoon Tea consisted of three types of sandwiches (bread a little dry), four cakes, scone with cream/jam and pot of tea (tea pot stained). Person on duty (reception/waitress) was welcoming and friendly. Better options are available in the area.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank johnhp702

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“xmas day dinner veg raw”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

xmas dinner starter was alright main course veg raw do not think it had even seen hot water let alone been cooked my fork would not pierce any to eat so picked my carrot up by hand it was that hard it took me two bites to break ugh turkey okay waitress ask if all okay must have seen me eating like a cave woman they gave us a free glass of wine still hungry on xmas day what a joke dessert alright coffee okay not a party popper or balloon in sight still hungry fun day no but it was only xmas day. what has happened to this place last year brill my wedding day here was exellent 10 yrs a go many meals since all good but my xmasmeal was awful will not be going back staff very friendly

1 Thank 96brian
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Good food, reasonable prices, hugely disappointing dining room”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I took my girlfriend here for dinner on the first saturday in November for her birthday. I pre booked in advance. The dining room on the website and the awards it has won made it sound and look really nice. On arrival we had a bit of a wait in reception before anyone dealt with us properly. It was clear there was a big halloween party going on in the bar. Unbeknown to us while we waited, this party was also going on in the main restaurant and they had booked it out. We were taken upstairs to a tiny room with four tables, chairs that had seen better days and were more akin to conference chairs than dining chairs, draughty windows and a cd player on repeat. This was extremely disappointing as at no point when I booked was I told this would be our venue for the evening. Bearing in mind it was a special occasion too...There was a half hearted apology when i mentioned this, but it was not very heartfelt.

Anyway, we decided to stick it out as the tables were full which had to be a good thing. The main menu was different to that on the website and the one advertised outside the hotel. 3 fish dishes, one chicken and one steak. So not a massive amount of choice if you don't like fish! We both ordered the prawn cocktail to start which came served in wine glasess and freshly baked rolls were brought. I ordered the sea bass fillets with chorizo and potatoes and my girlfriend had chicken with potatoes and a mushroom reduction. Portions were generous, and the food was hot. Both our meals were very tasty. My girlfriend ordered ice cream for dessert and I had eton mess. It was a set price for two or three courses. We both had soft drinks and the total bill came to just under £40. We thought the price was very reasonable and the service was fairly good (although other tables seemed to have problems with the staff and their wine knoweldge!)

The same cd was playing over and over and we had heard every song 3 times by the time we left. Whilst waiting for our bill, a member of staff asked us if everything was ok with our meal. I explained that the food was great, but again we were very disappointed about the location and that I should have been pre warned about this when I booked. She apologised and said that other diners had mentioned the same thing. No gesture of goodwill (ie discounted bill/free beverage) was forthcoming,and so I left it at that.

I would recommend the food here, just be wary of big group bookings! 3/5 is my rating...it would have been higher if not for the poor substitute dining room

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Laura N
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Excellent Service”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Had Sunday lunch today at the Sage Restaurant in Donington Manor. Arrived half an hour early and went into the bar for a glass of Merlot (very good) first, this area could do with a face-lift, and a more tasteful one than the last. The restaurant itself however is nicely decorated and tasefully so. However the waitress from the restaurant came into the bar and took our order whilst we relaxed and chatted. We were called through and did not have to wait long for our starters, we both chose a Chicken Caesar salad, which was just sufficient with fresh salad and moist chicken. The waitress was attentive and friendly without being intrusive. Our main of roast sirloin, Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes and fresh veg was delicious and the gravy made me want to use my spoon!! For dessert we chose ice-cream which was - ice-cream.

Curiously when my partner called to book and asked for a table at 1pm, he was told there were no tables available at that time and so he booked for 12.30, by 1.30pm several tables for two had not been taken and when we left at 2pm they were still free. Our custom could have been lost if we had needed to eat at 1pm, when they could have quite easily fitted us in.

Otherwise a very enjoyable experience and very reasonable for three courses, will no doubt go back!

• Visited July 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“sunday lunch experience”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

we travelled to this hotel for sunday lunch some 30miles journey, after reading the reviews on trip adviser. Well I can only say it was one of the worst meals I have ever experienced.We arrived and were shown to the sage restaurant by a very nice young lady.I can only say that the waiting staff could not be better.The room was old and tired but very clean and pleasant enough.We were given the menu that was very traditional for Sunday lunch which suited us because we had come with my elderly Mother.Well, now what followed was like a comedy.The tomato soup was passanda with a stock cube added, it was like glue, awful. The parfit was a slice of the cheapest pattie you could imagine, pale and insciped,served with a lettuce leaf and chutney. Next was the citrus smoked salmon with beetroot and horseraddish. I can only assume about this dish that I think they had had the ingredients for this hanging around for a month. Next ,the main meals, two roast beef and one chicken.The beef was two slices of what I can only discribe as microwaved braised beef served with a frozen yorkshire and two frozen roast potatoes. Now came the chicken, this was absolutely disgraceful.It was a processed piece that I can only discribe as a sausage. It was

• Visited May 2013