“A good relaxing trip”

The Priest House by the River
London, United Kingdom
“A good relaxing trip”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

It sounds like some people have had some unfortunate incidents. I have attended a wedding in the past which was an amazing day. Our recent visit was just for a relaxing trip and it was just that. we stayed in a main house rooms and it was a great size. The staff were friendly and approachable and the service was good but unobtrusive.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sharon M
Gwyn J, General Manager at The Priest House by the River, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
What a wonderful review. I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments in relation to your recent stay here at the Priest House. It is always extremely pleasing to receive such positive feedback from returning guests.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Gwyn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We booked for a couple of nights away for some shopping and a general relax. On arrival the grounds are lovely and there is plenty of room to park. The receptionist was very helpful and helped us with everything we needed. Our bed and room was lovely and comfortable with a large TV plenty of tea/coffee and water and our bathroom was excellent with a lovely big bath! We eat in the Brasserie on the first night and our food was excellent. We had a great nights sleep and our breakfast was as good as anywhere we have stayed. The service was great and they catered for everyone. We shopped in Nottingham all day and when we came back there was a wedding but there was no disruption at all us and we had a snooze. We ate in the main restaurant that night and to be fair its hard for us to judge the food as its very posh and not what we would normally eat. Everyone around us looked like they were really enjoying the food but its not really our thing. What we had was nice but would have preferred a good steak! The wedding disco did not disrupt us at all and we had a lovely nights sleep and again another terrific breakfast the next day. We would stay again and would recommend to anyone else who maybe thinking of staying here.

Room Tip: Stay in the main house!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stuart J
Thank you for your review and for all the fantastic comments with regards to the hotel and the staff. Your review means even more to us due to the fact that you would recommend the hotel.

We can’t wait to welcome you back to the Priest House Hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

We recently visited the priest house and I would recommend a visit when in Derby or Castle Donnington.
We found the staff to be friendly, attentive and efficient.
We decided to try the fine dinning and was not disappointed, very palatable and a good choice of dishes to choose from, to finish the evening off we sat outside looking out over the river drinking wine. Thank you priest house for helping our romantic evening go so well

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Annette T
Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us. I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay and all aspects of the hotel. On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at the Priest House, we look forward to welcoming you all back to us in the future.

Best Wishes,

Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2014

The setting of this hotel is beautiful, but I am afraid that's where it ends. I was here for a wedding, we paid for a luxury room, and the room itself was quite big. When we got into our room there was a very heavy smell of bleach coming from the bathroom, which filled the whole room and was quite choking especially for the little one. It was only when that died down we had another smell greeting us, that of human waste, it was just not our room we could smell this in but a majority of the hotel had this lingering, and several of my family staying there also commented on the smell. There was 2 adults and 2 children sleeping in our room, the children's ages were 16 and 6, the sofa bed prepared for them was awful, there was no padding to the mattress and to lie down on it meant that you had springs digging into your back. So there was no alternative but for all 4 of us to sleep in the one double bed, which led to a very sleepless night for everyone. When we arrived back home 1 of the children had awful stomach ache and was violently sick. Speaking to some of my relatives that were also there, I found out that several had also become quite ill also. I must also comment on the price of the drinks, a glass of wine at this hotel will set you back £10 which is extortionate. Would I recommend this hotel no way! This nightmare cost me £140 for the room that was not fit for purpose, biggest waste of money I have ever spent.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Gwyn J, General Manager at The Priest House by the River, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I am extremely sorry that some aspects of your stay below the standards that we expect to deliver, whilst I am sorry to hear you were indisposed during your stay, there is no evidence to support an allegation of this type, but again will be happy to reassure you further on this point. I would be grateful if you would provide a telephone number so that I may call and you can elaborate on your experience. My email address is gbjones@handpicked.co.uk.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on a valentines package with my girlfriend which included accomodation an evening meal and breakfast. The hotel location was very nice, unfortunately I visited after weeks of heavy rain and most of the grounds were flooded due to the proxinity to the river so I couldn't go for any walks around them. The rooms were decent and clean, bed was fairly comfy. The food was decent too, both the evening meal and breakfast. Overall it was a decent stay and the value was okay due to the package but would be a bit pricey for what you get normally. I would probably rate a touch higher if I had been able to get out and about around the grounds a big more.

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of your visit to the Priest House. I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable time and you found the food to be of a high standard.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future. Thanks again for your kind words.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We have been a couple of times now and the food was delicious on both occassions. Nice to see proper hand cut chips and homemade food rather than out of a freezer.

The first time the service was superb, but we were the only people in the restaurant. The 2nd time not so good and we waited a long time for orders to be taken, the bill etc. The food arrived within a reasonable time but getting orders in etc was very slow. It certainly wouldn't be ideal if you wanted a quick lunch.

The restaurant is clean and well laid out. Toilets immaculate.

Setting wise, its lovely. Plenty of parking.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank chezwylde
Thank you for your feedback and we are so sorry that the service elements during dinner did not reach your expectations.

It is clear that we failed with regard to attentive service and your points have been conveyed to our Food and Beverage Manager for his urgent attention. I would be happy to discuss this with you should you wish to contact me either by telephoning 01332 815301 or via email gbjones@handpicked.co.uk.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Although the hotel was situated in a lovely spot we found that the attention to detail was not the best. The shower screen in our bathroom did not close properly, and a drop light in the bedroom was loose.
We could not get a table in the main restaurant on the day we wanted, though every time I passed the restaurant it seemed empty? However the meals in the small bistro were good even if they didn't have all the sweets that were on the menu.
We also thought the wine was very overpriced at £30 fior a very average bottle of wine and all other drinks quite expensive.
One positive note was all the staff were very pleasant and friendly.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GTD16
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your guest experience. I was certainly disappointed to learn of your frustrations that you encountered during your visit with us as this is by no means the level of service we wish to deliver here at the Priest House.

Please be assured that I have shared your feedback with my colleagues so that they are fully aware of how you felt.

Thank you again for your valued comments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castle Donington
Hilton East Midlands Airport
#2 of 7 in Castle Donington
The Morley Hayes Hotel
Donington Park Farmhouse Hotel

Been to The Priest House by the River? Share your experiences!