“A little bit of a treat”

The Priest House by the River
ashby de la zouch
“A little bit of a treat”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We booked in for the gourmet evening and overnight stay, and it was a lovely treat for us both. We approached the hotel down through the picturesque leafy lane and as we arrived, the frontage of the building, which dates back centuries didn`t disappoint. We were warmly welcomed by staff who were kind and thoughtful throughout our stay. The meal was a delightful mix of subtle and delicious flavours; I didn`t know I liked oxtail but chefs` oxtail and walnut ravioli was just divine, as was the whole menu. We retired to our beautiful room and woke to a frosty view towards the river. After a relaxing breakfast we left as the sunshine was just highlighting drifts of snowdrops on the grassy woodland banks.

Room Tip: The room in the turret tower looks so romantic.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Gwyn J, General Manager at The Priest House by the River, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review. It was a pleasure for me to read it and I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your visit. I have shared your feedback with all of my colleagues and I know that they are pleased that their attention to your needs was appreciated.

Our Executive Chef, David was really pleased to read your comments about his food as he has worked hard to influence the menu and its dishes. That you enjoyed his food is a huge reward for his team's efforts.

I do hope that it will not be too long before you make a return visit to us.

Gwyn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I recently spent a night here for my wedding anniversary. We had a lovely stay. The staff were brilliant and very helpful. The food in the restaurant for dinner was delicious and we especially liked the breakfast choices.

1 Thank Laurakej22
Thank you for writing such kind things about your recent visit to my hotel; it is much appreciated. I was delighted to share your review with my colleagues and Chef, in particular, was delighted you enjoyed dinner.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Priest House in the very near future.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Needed an end of Winter pick me up and where better than the Priest House, Booked a cottage room which are away from the main hotel, very peaceful with a great view.
Had a slight problem with the bathroom radiator not working, a quick call to reception and we were moved straight away to another room.
Could I be picky on something, yes the window in the built in wardrobe wanted cleaning.
Dinner was really good (as always) and the breakfast superb.
But what really makes this hotel for us is the staff, nothing is too much trouble and they are very polite and attentive.
Will we be back..............................of course we will !!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
We were so pleased to read your positive feedback, which serves as a tremendous morale boost for the team and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Thank you so much.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Unfortunately I have just written a glowing account of a stay here on tripadvisor and it has gone, I can only assume that I took too long. I don't have time to sit for another hour writing all I did the first time but feel I should summarise it again as the recognition should be noted. I am an independent wedding planner and my clients booked this venue for their wedding which happened at the weekend 22.02.14. We all stayed here from Friday to check out on Sunday. I can only say that the place was lovely, the rooms and main hotel were very clean and well kept and the staff were AMAZING. As an independent planner we can sometimes be seen as being in the way but this couldn't be further for the truth with the Priest House. I was treated like a guest in the main (which of course I was for the 3 days) and also nothing was too much trouble. Their in house wedding coordinator, Emma, was a true professional and was really great. Dan on reception was brilliant too, assisting us with everything we needed and always with a smile, just how a reception should be ran. The rooms were lovely and I stayed in a cottage which I loved and was surprised to have a bath in my single room but totally glad of it to soak in on all 3 days I was there. The room was a little warm on arrival but I'd much rather that in February than it being cold. I opened the window and it soon got to my desired temperature. The food was amazing too no matter what we ate, fish and ships for the first nights dinner was the best I've ever tasted and the wedding breakfast and evening buffet on Saturday was also was set up to impress. The staff were all friendly, Sammy on the evening team was lovely even at silly times of the evening and one of the staff who pulled out all the stops was only on his first day but they clearly had recruited a staff member who knew how to work well on a wedding. Overall, a really nice place, with good caring staff throughout and great food and service. The location couldn't be sweeter for a wedding too, exclusive use of the whole hotel was what we booked and whilst walking in the grounds the sounds to be heard were tweeting birds and the flow of the water from the river. Bliss. Where there any bad points? If pushed it would have to be my overhearing from many of the wedding guests that the drinks prices were more than they would have expected.

Room Tip: I can only say that I liked the outdoor cottages, these are great for any disabled guests too as you...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor of the wedding you planned. We were thrilled to have the opportunity to help you celebrate your wedding and I was delighted to read your very kind comments about the team. That's what we always aim for and I am pleased we were able to help you create the dream wedding at the Priest House.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and working with you on many future occasions.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Excellent hotel
Brilliant staff
Excellent food fantastic setting too although nearly flooded out with all the rain
Nothing was too much trouble for the staff
The excellent food was a fine dining experience 10/10 goes to the kitchen staff

• Stayed February 2014
Thank you for your review. It is always wonderful to receive feedback about the team delivering excellent customer service, as we spend a lot of time training our team about exceeding guest expectations. Once again, many thanks for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Nurtured In London, Born In Brisbane
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Stayed at Priest House for a week for a work event, so was fortunate not to have to pay for my stay. I stayed in a suite, which was huge and tastefully decorated. Too many hotels in the UK that claim 4/5 star rating are worn around the edges and a bit dated, but not this place. Food in the restaurant was fabulous - three meals a day for the week and none of them failed to impress. Only criticisms was that there seemed to be a lack of power points in my room - despite its size, I could only find one, which I had to use for all of my devices/ the hair dryer/ the kettle etc. Also, in the bar the drinks seemed very expensive and only one CD was being played on repeat for the whole week - David Gray - shoot me now!

Room Tip: The suites in the 'tower' are stunning. Two colleagues were staying them and I got to have a...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your kind comments. I’m delighted that you enjoyed the conference at the Hotel and will be sure to pass your feedback to the team who will be thrilled with your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Thank you once again for your kind words.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Stayed one night in the Heron Suite. Beautiful rooms, very clean and with good facilities. Dinner was outstanding-presentation and combination of food wonderful. Breakfast was also very good. Staff very attentive and couldn't be more helpful. We will definitely be staying here again. Thank you

• Stayed February 2014
What a wonderful review. I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments in relation to your recent stay here at the Priest House. It is always extremely pleasing to receive such positive feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castle Donington
#7 of 7 in Castle Donington
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
#6 of 7 in Castle Donington

Been to The Priest House by the River? Share your experiences!