“A night away”

The Priest House by the River
herts
“A night away”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

The hotel is in a lovely peaceful setting, right near the river. There`s plenty of car parking space and the gardens are small but attractive and well maintained. The main attributes of the hotel are the staff who were all unfailingly polite and friendly without seeming obsequious. The service at both dinner and breakfast was very good and we enjoyed dinner,with no pressure on us to order extra drinks. I also appreciated flexibility in the menu, again thanks to the staff.
On the other hand , the hotel lacks a real lounge and has very little character. There wasn`t much food out for the buffet breakfast, as if guests were being discouraged from eating too much. Although it was very clean, our room was disappointingly small, and I find it hard to believe that this was an upgraded room as promised in our booking package. It felt almost oppressive but we slept well in this peaceful setting.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tyngelli
Gwyn J, General Manager at The Priest House by the River, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your guest experience. I was delighted you found the hotel team to be excellent and the service at both breakfast and dinner to be very good. However I was disappointed to learn of your frustrations that you encountered during your stay with us here at the Priest House.

Please be assured that I have shared your feedback with my colleagues so that they are fully aware of how you felt. Should you wish to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me directly via email gbjones@handpicked.co.uk

Regards,

Gwyn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stayed here on the 5th October for my partners birthday. Being a special day I booked the Stocker Suite which is in the old tower on the top floor. The room was very spacious and rather well decorated with a cosy private feel to it. However it was tired in a few places- toilet flush was loose and would stick,one of the bed posts was hanging off,the windows were filthy and dead flies seemed to be everywhere. Not a four star room. We ventured down to the bar for a couple of drinks and found one of the members of staff to be very very helpful and polite (Chris) he was an absolute credit to the place. As with all HPH the drinks are far to overpriced. Evening meal was very good with a great selection and great tastes. The chef prepared my partners dessert with a birthday message on, which was a nice touch. But....when we went off to bed the noise from the nearby wedding reception disco was unbearable. The lampshades in the room were shaking!! I rang reception to complain but nothing was done about it and sleep finaly came about 01.30. No good will gesture was offered on departure even though the complaint was logged. HPH need to decide wether they are a wedding venue OR a 4 Star Hotel chain because the 2 dont mix. Would I go back? Yes so long as there was no wedding taking place.

Room Tip: Stay when there is no wedding taking place.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BaldyTommo
PriestHouse, General Manager at The Priest House by the River, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent review and I am sorry for the issues you experienced in your bedroom which I have addressed with the housekeeper, who has subsequently introduced more rigorous inspections to eradiate such issues. In future all bookings will be advised of late discos, to ensure guests are made aware when booking a room, with the knowledge of possible disruption. Kind regards Michael
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

With an important meeting to run, we wanted to set up the evening before to ensure everything was ready. Mick, the Duty Manager, could not have been more helpful. He remained patient and positive, even when we asked him to dismantle the 5 tables he had just put up for us! The service for our meeting the following day (also Mick) was excellent - prompt and attentive. He even gave me a brown bag picnic for my long journey home.
Many thanks - and also to Chris, for his help with our printing and technological needs.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Uhannah
Dear Guest
I was delighted to read your comments following your recent stay and conference and pleased to note your kind comments regarding the service you received from Mick and Chris. Kind regards Michael
Aberdeen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

We bought a VIP package for Download 2013 and had the pleasure of staying at this hotel. The hotel and grounds were lovely, modern facilities, clean bathroom, dressing gowns and slippers. Tea and coffee facilities as well. A bus ran us to and from the festival and I have to say after an entire day of being cold and muddy, having this hotel to return to was delightful. Cosy and welcoming. They even offered late night food for guests who had attended the festival (chilli and beer, at value prices, really impressed). On our departure day we had afternoon tea there which was really tasty. Overall I was really pleased with our entire stay, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank VeryBerry21
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay when attending Download, I was delighted to note the late night meals went down well. Kind regards Michael
Batley,West Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

It was Mum's 90th Birthday, being a fan of Hand a Picked Hotels in general and having family in Leeds, Leicester and Guernsey , The Priest House made an ideal venue. There were 25 in our party and we were given the Garden Suite For the meal. I have to say that the organisation from the hotel was first class, great room, fantastic menu ( I can certainly recommend the Chatswoth Beef ). The two ladies who served us were excellent, very professional and nothing was too much trouble. Matthew Barton, the Assistant Sales and Revenue manger did a great job, liaising with me , as organiser, ever step of the way, to ensure the day went very well. Thank You, The Priest House.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Yorkie_Bar
Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind comments following your mother’s 90th birthday celebration, which I have passed on to all the individuals concerned. Kind regards Michael
LONDON
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

Overall I probably wouldn't stay here again. This hotel is part of the 'Handpicked hotels' chain. When I booked this hotel I expected it to be of as similar standard to other 'Handpicked hotels' - unfortunately I would not say this is the case. I don't have any specific bad experiences of note, but would just say this hotel was average.

I'll start with the positives. Staff were very accommodating, friendly and willing to help out where possible. Food was good as expected, and with good service. Proximity to Donnington park race track could be a big plus point too as we could hear track noise from the hotel (though not in our room).

Negatives were limited hotel facilities, hotel grounds were pretty small with tiny surrounding gardens to stroll around, and for some reason there was a distinct smell of sewage around the back of the hotel - no idea what that was about and may well have been a one off thing. Room was of a specification as expected, but it was small. No real hotel lobby of note.

From what I could gather this hotel were trying to market themselves as a wedding venue, rather than a short stay hotel for general members of the public.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you for your most constructive review following your recent stay. Regards Michael
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

wonderful secluded location, five star service, hotel restaurant is a real treat - except service was a tiny bit slow. We stayed in the cottages annex close to the hotel and found it was wonderful to overlook a little brook / stream. Worth every penny

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mc2014mc
Dear Guest
I was delighted to read your recent comments following your stay, although sorry the service in the restaurant was a little slow, which I have discussed with the relevant individuals. Kind regards Michael
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castle Donington
#8 of 8 in Castle Donington
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
#6 of 8 in Castle Donington

Been to The Priest House by the River? Share your experiences!