“Fabulous time celebrating our Dad's 70th birthday with friends and family”

The Priest House by the River
London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous time celebrating our Dad's 70th birthday with friends and family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

This place is great. Set in some beautiful grounds, right by the river. Organised through their events team a private dining room for 14 of to have dinner and then stay the night. Matt who helped organise this was spot on and even let us add some dishes to the set menu (3 dishes to choose from which we then pre ordered). This was all a surprise for our Dad, and all the staff helped us keep it that way and they let us decorate the room etc. Chris who looked after us in the evening was also great. Very courteous and very attentive. A credit to the Priest House Hotel. Thanks Chris. The bar staff were a little slow earlier in the afternoon when there was a wedding on, but no biggie. The food itself was excellent and far better than what're we're expecting. Presentation and taste and quality were top notch. The rooms were modern and adequate, just what we needed really (old cottage rooms outside are smaller, but they are authentic cottages, so what do you expect?!) Dinner, bed and breakfast (which was also delicious and a la carte) for £159 per couple. You cannot go wrong. Thanks for making the day so special for our Dad, he had a fantastic time. We would definitely return again.

Room Tip: I'd go for a modern renovated room personally!! :-)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
PriestHouse, General Manager at The Priest House by the River, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your very kind review following your recent stay and private dinner at The Priest House Hotel. I was particularly pleased to read your comments on Matt and Chris, who are, as you say, great assets to our hotel and I have passed on your comments to them both. I was also pleased to read you enjoyed your dinner and that you were able to keep the birthday surprise from your Dad. We hope to see you again for your next big celebration. Kind regards Michael

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
berkshire, england
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stayed here with work colleagues for 1 night before a meeting in Nottingham having been here some years back and had a good experience. It has changed!

Service was appalling and waited over an hour for the main course after starter. Starter was overcooked and awful, main course very average and then another delay for dessert. Breakfast the following day was also very slow and service non existent.

Real shame as lovely location but very poor service, poor food and over priced means a big thumbs down. Internet was also rubbish and unusable.

Bar also had a poor selection of beer.

3 Thank taffy_on_the_road
Dear Guest
I was very disappointed to read your comments following your recent stay and I am very sorry for the unnecessary delays you experienced. We do take all feedback extremely seriously, as this helps us to improve our service, standards and facilities and I am sorry that your experience at The Priest House Hotel was not to your expectations. Following your comments I have discussed the issues raised with my head chef and food service manager who in turn have retrained their teams on our standards and service delivery. I will review our beer selection with our suppliers with the intension of providing a more varied selection. Kind regards Michael
Silverdale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

We met up with our brother and sister-in-law for a catch up weekend. We couldn't have found a nicer place. We had superior rooms in the old house, well worth it. Clean large room with all the facilities. Friendly staff every where and the food was superb. Dinner from an excellent menu was very good as was breakfast. My only criticism is the price of drinks, these are very expensive. We will definitely return.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ian O
Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay at The Priest House Hotel, which I have passed on to all concerned. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.
Kind regards Michael
Stamford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

I have never been moved to put a review on trip advisor or a hotel before and I am sad to say that I am not reporting on a happy experience. The Priest House at Castle Donnington is a pretty hotel in a beautiful setting. However my stay as one of a party of 11 attending a conference yesterday was disappointing to say the least. The following is just a small selection from the various problems.
1. Lunch - this was a set menu. Fine - but the veggie option was made to order so took about 20 minutes which is also fine if we were told this in advance. Instead I got my meal after the rest of my party had finished eating. When I mentioned this to the waiter he said that he didn't know it was made to order..
2. Catering for the conference - they only ever brought 6 drinks and biscuits. There were 10 of us during the day.
3. Coffee for the conference - cold and weak. When highlighted we were told the coffee machine was playing up. But the coffee was in a cafetiere......?
4. My room. Smelt very strongly of damp, a little like an old dishcloth. The bath was very slow to drain. The toilet would not flush. And the sink had remnants of shaving foam on it from the previous resident. Lovely.
5. Breakfast - waited for toast which was made to order - stone cold when it arrived. I asked for ketchup - the young man told somebody else to get it, went to get my replacement (hot) toast from the kitchen and came back without the ketchup. Eventually I knocked on the kitchen door to ask for the ketchup as my breakfast had gone cold.
6. At least 4 people from my party and 3 on neighbouring tables got the either wrong breakfast or at least one wrong component.

This list is by no means exhaustive. At £140 per room and the large amount of money spent on food and drinks I would expect significantly better. Whatever the price, I would expect as a minimum clean facilities and good service. On leaving I talked through the main issues with reception. I did not have time to talk to the duty manager but was told he would call me. He didn't. There were a few members of staff who were lovely and tried to help out as much as circumstances allowed, particularly one of the breakfast waiters. Unfortunately this was overshadowed by the rudeness of the other 2. An experience not to be repeated.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Rutlandkiran
PriestHouse, General Manager at The Priest House by the River, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent review following your attendance at a conference being held at The Priest House Hotel, which I have had an opportunity to discuss with you in person during our recent telephone conversation. May I once again express my sincere apologies and regret that we failed to meet your expectations. Kind regards Michael
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

although the venue is beautiful and the garden and the outside area exceptional, we found the service to be very slow and the bar staffs knowledge of the wine menu to be limited. not only that but we were served warm wine as the fridges were broke but it was also seriously expensive for the quality of the wine we received. my friends and I will never go back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
I was disappointed to read your review following your recent visit to The Priest House Hotel. Following you comments I have asked my Food & Beverage Service Manager to carry out retraining of his team to ensure such service issues are prevented for the future. I was pleased to read your comments regarding our grounds and surrounding area, which are as you say beautiful. Kind regards Michael
West Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

I have just returned from organising a 2 day Conference at the Priest House, and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. We took over the whole hotel and nothing was a problem, I was back and forth asking for help and everything I asked for was met with a smile and was sorted quickly. The events organiser Mick was my right hand man for 2 days and he was great. Both myself and Mick had to go into every room (even those up the hill) to place a couple of gifts and I found each room very very nice. We had no complaints and the food and drink went down very well, I had a Lotus F1 simulator brought in for the evening and the guests had a good time racing for the first prize. This will be the 3rd time we have held our meeting at the Priest House as it is very central for flights & trains and the views are stunning. I hope we can re visit in the future and thanks to everyone for making the Conference go without a hitch.

Room Tip: The 2 rooms up the spiral staircase are the best in the hotel and are huge
Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind review following your recent conference at The Priest House Hotel, which I have passed on to all concerned. We sincerely hope you will be able to return in the near future, kind regards Michael
Preston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed here for one night as it seemed to be the best hotel nearest to Donington race circuit, it is part of the hand picked hotel group. We arrived on which was one of the sunniest days we have had this year and all looked good, we had been allocated room 37 which was described as an executive room, it was very cold and on the small side, the bathroom was quite old fashioned and a little bit shabby on closer inspection. We ate in the brasserie for lunch which was good value for a hotel. We had booked the a la carte restaurant for our dinner in the evening but it was the only restaurant. I had soup which was leek but it was flavourless I added salt and pepper which I never do in a restaurant I wasnt offered any bread or give any when we sat at the table although some people were, we both had sirloin steak which was a poor excuse for a steak. My dessert wasnt
even what I ordered so overall for £161 with wine it was extremely dissapointing
Definately wouldnt go back

Room Tip: Make sure if you ask for a river view you get a room at the front ours was side on to the river and...
Dear Guest
I was disappointed to read your review following your recent stay at The priest House Hotel, in particular your comments regarding the food and the temperature of your bedroom on your arrival. I have since discussed your comments with my head chef and housekeeper, who in turn have retrained their teams to prevent similar situations reoccurring in the future. May I thank you for your comments and do hope you may reconsider your decision not to return to The Priest House Hotel some time in the future. Kind regards Michael
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castle Donington
#8 of 8 in Castle Donington
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
#6 of 8 in Castle Donington

Been to The Priest House by the River? Share your experiences!