“Lovely hotel in a lovely setting”

The Priest House by the River
Lincs
“Lovely hotel in a lovely setting”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The hotel is nestled alongside the River Trent and has lovely views. The receptionist was very friendly and was able to upgrade me to a suite in the tower. My room was very nice with its own lounge, it was spotlessly clean and nice and warm, definitely worth the upgrade cost. Breakfast was good with plenty of choice. Dinner was also good and freshly cooked. The staff are very friendly and helpful. I didn't have any problems sleeping in a strange bed as it and the pillows were just right for me

Room Tip: Treat yourself to a room in the tower. The views are lovely and the room is very nice
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
PriestHouse, General Manager at The Priest House by the River, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent review following your stay at The Priest House Hotel. I was delighted to read your comments regarding the food and the quality of your bedroom as well as the breakfast you enjoyed the following morning. I have passed on your kind comments to the team. Kind regards Michael

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Ambiance is really excellent both outside and in but regrettably the Fine Dining restaurant fails to meet expectation by far. The menu was over complicated and plated combinations failed to work and get the taste buds rolling. The food was very bland and accompanying sauces were also tasteless and disappointing. Whilst presentation was fair the outcome was most disappointing for what was the most expensive meal I have attended in ages. Will need to really improve significantly to get me through the doors for a repeat.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the wigs and Trent river - front of house.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Philip H
Dear Guest
I was very disappointed to read your comments following your recent meal in our restaurant. Following your comments I have asked my head chef to review all the dishes on our menu to ensure they achieve the high standards we have set. Kind regards Michael
Nottingham. England
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

I got married here in April 2013 so could be biased as obviously we love the hotel as a wedding venue. Our day went so smoothly, we were so pleased with the staff on the day, very helpful and friendly. So as a wedding venue I would recommend it to anyone, perfect setting next to the river Trent.

The hotel rooms are of good standard, we stayed in the suite at the top of the tower. Very nice and spacious. Cottage rooms were small but of also decent standard.

Food is excellent, very high quality. You get what you pay for, on the expensive side but no different to any other good hotel.

On a summers day, sitting outside the brassier bar with a drink.. You wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments following your recent wedding at The Priest House Hotel. I have passed on your comments to the whole team who would like to join me in wishing you both a very happy future togrther. We look forward to welcome you back in the near future, when you can enjoy our amazing surrounds on the banks of the River Trent. Kind regards Michael
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We attended our friends' amazing wedding here last summer, and it was a truly beautiful day. The photos were by the river as the sun shone and champagne was served. Really gorgeous venue and friendly, helpful staff. The wedding food was amazing, and when I visited a few years previously for an overnight stay the meal in the restaurant was delicious too. We didn't stay this time, so can't comment on the rooms/ breakfast at present. The decor and overall feel is amazing, and I would love to stay again soon. The drinks prices were CRAZY though, think for 2 drinks it was about £16, granted it was a large wine, but a large wine and a pint?! Would be the only thing that would put me off returning.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments following your recent visit to The Priest House Hotel when attending your friend’s wedding. I was delighted to read you enjoyed the day last summer and I was particularly pleased you found our staff to be friendly and the food to match your previous visit. Kind regards Michael
Leicester
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Our second visit to this lovely hotel and restaurant was made on our Silver Wedding Anniversary - 1st April 2013.... Yes, I know it's april fools day, lets just skip the comments and get on with the review!

We were lucky to get room number 29 which is a suite in the tower. It was absolutely faultless, and we made good use of it during our stay (say no more squire).

The service and food were as expected, slow and not worthy of previousy earned rosettes. However, the breakfast was piping hot and served quite efficiently.

We will be returning in the future as it is very convenient for us.

Room Tip: Great for a wedding reception and lovely backdrop for the wedding photos.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Meldrew69
Dear Guest
I was sorry to read your comments regarding the quality of our food and the slow service you experienced in our restaurant, which I will review with my head chef and food service manager. I was delighted you enjoyed your breakfast and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future. Kind regards Michael
leicestershire
Reviewed April 5, 2013

My daughter got married here on easter sunday. what a lovely setting it was for a wedding, the hotel was beautiful the interior was immaculate.the wedding food was first class and very tastey.They have a choice of different rooms for your wedding service and dinners and receptions, all are large and decorated to a high standard.The staff are all very helpful .The hotel is set in beautiful grounds, right next to the river trent,the hotel is at the bottom off a long winding country lane which is a dead end, it is well sign posted and easy to get to It is not just a wedding venue it is also an hotel and restaurant which serve lovely meals. Well worth a visit if only for a drink and a meal.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have fantastic river views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Leicestershirefairy
Dear Guest
I was delighted to read your comments following your daughter’s wedding reception at The Priest House Hotel. I was particularly pleased to read your comments regarding the set up of your wedding rooms and the quality of food and service you enjoyed. As you say we are a perfect venue to get away for a relaxing stay at the end of a quiet lane on the banks of the River Trent. Kind regards Michael
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed here recently for 2 days of business meetings; a great venue & location which lost a few points due to broadband/mobile phone reception - would have scored it excellent otherwise! This is not necessarily the fault of the hotel, the phone signal was not much better in the village.

As the person who organises meetings 4 times a year I have a lot of people to please so any assistance from a hotel is gratefully received. From the moment our booking was confirmed nothing was too much trouble for Matthew - I have the email trail to prove it. (some chopping and changing, toing & froing).

I even had assistance with boxes from my car to the meeting room! Our general manager particularly like his allocated parking space. The patio room was a great meeting room - with natural light, space to move around, table for refreshments at the back and close to the toilets! Michael kept us going throughout the day providing us with discrete refreshments and ensuring we had everything we needed. The service was professional.

The food at breakfast, lunch and dinner was great - we enjoyed the private dining for our team dinner (we can be noisy so this was probably a good idea for other residents)! I have read other comments regarding the poor service but this was not the case for us. An unexpected bonus was restaurant dining at lunchtime instead of sandwiches and chips in the meeting room.

There were a few complaints from those allocated rooms in the cottages, but overall a very good experience and great value.

Room Tip: Request a bedroom in the main building and for a meeting room the Patio room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Buzzybee61
Dear Guest
I was delighted to read your comments following your recent residential meeting at The Priest House Hotel, which I have passed on to all the individuals concerned. As you say we do have mobile reception issues in our area, which thankfully is improving all the time. Kind regards Michael
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castle Donington
Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Hilton East Midlands Airport
Hilton East Midlands Airport
#2 of 7 in Castle Donington

Been to The Priest House by the River? Share your experiences!