“Another lovely stay”

Donington Manor Hotel
Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

Third stay at this hotel and once again very nice. Had a superior room again and was lovely, separate little sitting area with settee and even French doors to a little terrace. Mid winter but a lovely option in summer. Do choose/book room with care, the rooms I've had have always been very large, comfortable and quite boutique in style but been told they do vary. Two flat screen tvs though one didn't work. Comfortable nights stay with nice breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2012

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Went again the other week and was again astounded by the staff - they a make the hotel. Everyone from the receptionist to the night porter, cleaners, bar staff, and waiting staff were amazing. I have never had such good service.

There are areas of the hotel that look a bit old fashioned, but it's the charm of a older hotel that we like. The room we had was a suite and looked in excellent condition with a huge bath, good shower, comfy bed, and loads and loads of space.

Couldn't fault this place at all, and how people can moan I will never know.

The food was incredible, not a speck left on our plates!

Room Tip: Choose a suite in the front of the hotel, or one with a terrace.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Me and wife stayed here whilst attending the Download festival in June.
Wonderful staff and a great location. Special mention to the young lady on reception who got me a box of chocolates as it was my birthday on the day we arrived. We will definately be visiting again for 2013!

The reason for the delayed review is I've just got a trip advisor account but wanted to make sure this hotel got the top marks which it justly deserves.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I recently organized a dinner for a group of friends and people who I had worked with in the past. The reception staff were helpful from the time of booking and suggested pre ordering from the menu to make things run more smoothly on the night.
Everyone was very impressed with the excellent menu choice . As I am gluten intollerant, I was assured that the menu could be adapted to suit my needs. (Which it was, down to gluten free bread being provided!)
On the night, everything ran like clockwork. The service was lovely, attentive and friendly. The meal was well paced. At no time were we rushed, which was important as we wanted to talk.
The quality of the food was outstanding. The hotel should be complimented on their standards and the value for money!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Haywood123
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Passed this hotel many times. Always fancied a stay. Got my chance this week. Excellent choice. Very friendly and helpful staff. Got a free upgrade to a lovely room with its own garden!
Very comfortable. Lovely breakfast. Free car parking too.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Graham5709
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We came on a KGB deal 2nights for £99 with a bottle of wine if you dined in their restaurant
Which we did the menu was very hard to choose from as there was so much choice & very reasonably priced. The food was amazing & presented very well he was obviously a very good chef. Breakfast was just as good with lots of choice
also the waiter was fab!!!!!! The hotel was a little tired but very clean just needs a little TLC. I would definitely recommend this if you could get it on a deal not sure I would pay full price!!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2012

The owners have sensibly retained the elegant character of the dining room ( white linen on the tables) whilst letting the restaurant ' Sage' offer very good food presented in the modern style. The set menu £18, could hardly be faulted. Wine list small, but well chosen and reasonably priced. The extra of mixed vegetables, (often something to dread like carrots and broccoli) were right up my street and a delight of imaginative selection of green veg. with some fetta melting in and surprise pistachios. Breakfast was a choice of continental or traditional. The latter was £14 and you will find things that have disappeared like porridge and smoked haddock with poached egg. I had to fight with myself not to succumb to the full English which looked great. Compared to dinner this is not such good value, but our smoked salmon (a decent portion) with scrambled egg, good. Staff all pleasant. Our room was a suite and after turning off all heating, comfortable. Two tv's ! 3 phones !! 2 irons ? board, and trouser press ! No hair dryer tho'.This was in the traditional style of furnishings, which I would prefer in this 18c setting, but I suspect there are modern style rooms too. Ring them to find out if there is an offer on. For the two of us, £129 including all the meals referred to, this is very competitive. Like a lot of hotels I have stayed at, I have to resist the temptation to kidnap the goldfish on reception, and smuggle it home to our pond. I wish hotels would stop this practice although this one did look healthy.A well run hotel, with a comfortable atmosphere, we will return !

Room Tip: Rooms at rear probably quieter but front ones good for seeing the comings and goings
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
#5 of 7 in Castle Donington
Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Holiday Inn Express East Midlands Airport
Holiday Inn Express East Midland...
#4 of 7 in Castle Donington
Hilton East Midlands Airport
Hilton East Midlands Airport
#3 of 7 in Castle Donington

Been to Donington Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!