“Great location....”

Radisson Blu Hotel, East Midlands Airport
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Great location, modern chic and a great nights sleep. All staff very helpful, we stayed here as we had an early morning flight to Cyprus - the team who took us to the airport were fantastic - prompt and very engaging. On the way out we had Jones, he was a delight and to say it was 5am he had us in fits of laughter, while giving us clear instructions for our return journey - definately an asset to your company and one of the main reasons we will travel from East Midlands again and stay with you. The return journey back to the hotel was equally as impressive with Jo taking a real interest in our holiday - she was great. Plus the car was just were we had left it! No trekking around a massive car park with your cases trying to find your car after a long journey it all just worked perfectly. Thank you to you and your team (especially Jones & Jo) for a great customer experience. Paul and Louise Drake

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
KordulaS_13, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, East Midlands Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear HOlidays50,
Thank you for your lovely feedback I will pass your comments to our Front Office Team particular to Jo and Jones. We are pleased that you had a good experience with the service we provided during your stay.
Hopefully we can welcome you back soon.

There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Hotel, East Midlands Airport

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed on a Sunday night before a holiday to Spain. Got to the hotel around 3pm, room ready so stright to the bar for a drink or two. Eveing meal very good a bit high in price but that's a hotel for you. Bedroom very nice and lots of light.Parked the car at the hotel for the four days and Jones the bus driver was very helpfuly and funny just what you need for a 6am flight. I would stay at this hotel again if flighting out of east mids but they need to fix up the airport before I use it again. Well done to all the staff at the hotel and keep up the good work.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear Darren42,
Thank you very much for your positive comments about your stay with us. We are pleased to read that our staff made your stop great and we are looking forward to see you again.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

we booked a junior suite through groupon for £80.00 and it was wonderful. Felt so pampered and looked after. The room was AMAZING. The decor so clean and modern. Because the room was a suite it came with a bottle of champagne, fruit platter and beer and soft drinks in the fridge. Also you could have unlimited movies which would normally cost £3.95 each.
The dinning room and bar area decor was so unique and breakfast was great too. Soooo much choose. The only bad thing was the scrambled egg looked like sick and the spa area not very impressive.
Also because it was our Anniversary they gave us a card wishing us a happy anniversary which was very sweet of them.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear mi55y,
We are glad you enjoyed your stayed with us. The bottle of champagne was our “Surprise and Delight” for your anniversary. It is our service philosophy to go the extra mile to impress our customer.
Unfortunately our Health Club “Halsa” is limited in space especially for the Spa area.
I hope we can welcome you again.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed on a Sunday night before 9am flight. Lovely modern hotel. Warm welcome from reception. Explained parking and airport transfer.had comp Upgrade to business class as was my bday but would have paid the extra for bathrobes slippers Wine beer and water in room. Had a lovely meal in restaurant, fairly informal. Lots of staff for quick breakfast service next morning. Rest manager drove us to airport in hotel mini bus. A taxi brought us back on return from holiday. Great relaxing way to start your holiday

• Stayed: May 2013
KordulaS_13, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, East Midlands Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

Dear holidayward,
Thank you for your positive feedback about your recent stay with us. It is our mission to provide
”Yes I Can” service to surprise and delight guests. We are glad you enjoyed the upgraded room and our service we provided.
We hope you will choose us again when you are in the area.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I've stayed here on a number of occasions over the past 6 months so as I keep returning the hotel must be quite good. Having said that I don't think I'd consider it for anything other than a business trip but that's just my personal preference. Rooms are very comfortable & clean and all food was pretty good however menu was a bit limited, a problem I seem to find with most Radisson Blu's.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear jande1995,
Thank you for choosing our hotel regular. We changed beginning of June our menu, please let me know what you are missing, the next menu will be launched beginning of September.
I hope we can welcome you again soon.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

This new hotel, just a stones throw from EMA, is nothing short of brilliant for any traveller, including those like me in a power chair.
The ground floor is open plan, with easy level access to the bar ,restaurant and reception. Toilets are spotless, and the disabled loo has room for you to take your chair in. The two lifts are wide enough to cope too, and the bedroom has a wide door and SPACE inside to enable you to scoot around as you wish. This includes the wetroom bathroom, which is so well designed for the less able traveller. Fellow guests had nothing but praise for their 'normal' bedrooms, and the food was everything you would expect from a Radisson, and was well served and presented. Staff were excellent, and nothing seemed to be to much trouble. There is a patio area outside should the weather be in your favour, six disabled parking bays, and I can honestly state that this hotel has the best disabled access I have found - and I am difficult to please.
I noticed the hotel has a transfer minibus to take people to the airport, and think this just has to be the best hotel in the area for travellers.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear 7622 jon,
We are pleased that you had a good experience with our facilities we provide for disabled guests. Look through your detailed feedback we are glad you enjoyed your stay and hopefully you will visit us again.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I’ve driven past this hotel many times going up & down the M1 and last Friday afternoon, having been stuck in the Bank Holiday traffic for a couple of hours, decided to give up on queuing, booked the hotel from Club Carlson’s mobile app and decided to give it a go for the night.

Being a Concierge level member of Carlson Rezidor’s loyalty programme, I stay in a lot of their hotels and as a result have very high expectations. To be honest, whilst it was a Radisson, I was expecting a very functional airport hotel, geared up for late night check-in/early check-out holidaymakers. Well, I stand corrected: this place is superb!

Check-in was friendly, polite and welcoming. My membership of the loyalty scheme was recognised and I felt like a valued guest, even though it was my first time at the hotel.

The hotel uses the rather fab proximity keycards; I think these use RFID as opposed to the magnetic strip. As a result not only do they work after having been close to your phone for a while but also you don’t have to put them into the slot in the door and hope…you just hold the keycard next to the receiver on the door and it clicks open. These are being deployed in an increasing number of Radissons and in my opinion are a massive progression from the old style magnetic strip cards.

I had the Presidential Suite that was brilliant; a huge living room and separate bedroom, with a massive bathroom and its own walk-in wardrobe and dressing room. The suite’s design was very funky & individual and was very redolent of the designer interiors of the Radisson Blu Plaza in Helsinki. Certainly way above what you would expect in an ‘airport hotel’. The suite was full of ‘stuff’; chairs, lights, tables that made it feel quite homely, there was even a selection of books on a side table in the bedroom.

There were air-conditioning units in both rooms, although I only needed one to maintain a pleasant temperature, with the unit responding quickly to requested changes in temperature. There were large flatscreen TVs on the walls in both living room and bedroom with – from memory – the full range of Freeview channels. Being the Presidential Suite, there was a complimentary mini-bar stocked with beers, soft drinks and water – a nice touch. There was also the signature Nespresso machine that graces most business class Radisson rooms, which was also stocked with a good number of capsules. One small observation was that there were no espresso cups, just coffee mugs; it can be a bit hard to judge how much coffee to dispense into a large mug, so maybe providing both espresso mugs for the Nespresso machine and ‘normal’ mugs for other tea & coffee making would be better. The only other ‘downside’ in the room was that a couple of the plug sockets were less than ideally located, with one too close to the floor and the other too recessed above the cable trunking to allow a plug with a fixed plastic flex to be plugged in easily – it’s not a major issue as there were other sockets but an airport hotel is going to have lots of guests charging stuff before/after they travel, so maybe shifting the relevant sockets a bit would help. Having said this, it may just have been my suite and it certainly shouldn’t put anyone off in any way, it’s more of an observation.

The bed was up to the usual Radisson standard; firm & supportive and gave a very comfortable and good night’s sleep. Throughout my stay I didn’t hear any intrusive aircraft noise, despite the hotel’s proximity to the runway and so the noise insulation is clearly excellent.

The bathroom had double basins, a bath and lovely tiled walk-in shower with both rain and hand-held shower heads. There was a note on the splashback saying that there had been issues with the water temperature and apologising in advance but I had no problem; the water pressure & temperature were fine. The bathroom also had a speaker for the TV that actually worked (how many hotels have those dials on the wall in the bathroom that do nothing?!) and it was very enjoyable to be able to listen to the TV whilst in the shower.

On either side of the bed were combination lights; upward facing side lights and then LED reading spot lights that were on flexible stalks and you could bend to the desired position. I’ve seen something similar in another hotel brand’s premium rooms but they weren’t low energy; these were, with low energy bulbs for the main illumination and LEDs for the reading lights. In fact, as far as I could ascertain, all the lights in the room including the ceiling lights were either low energy or LED. This hotel makes a lot of its sustainability credentials and this was clearly demonstrated by the lighting in room; also, the corridor lights came on in front of you as you walked down each corridor. I’ve seen this in the Radisson Arc 1950 in France and it is another excellent example of sustainability in action.

I ate dinner in the hotel’s Runway restaurant which has its own listing on Tripadvisor, so I will review it separately there.

Breakfast was the great value Radisson Super Buffet with a wide range of options and dishes; plenty of breads, pastries, cereals, juices and cooked, hot items. There was also the 'egg station' where you can have an omelette cooked with your choice of ingredients, in front of you whilst you wait. The previous week I was at the Radisson Dubrovnik in Croatia, which had the same facility. Seeing it in a UK hotel is fantastic and it's a very welcome addition to the range of breakfast choices. The top mark though must be awarded for there being peanut butter available alongside the preserves, next to the bread. It's probably there to satisfy the younger diners but being able to have toast and peanut butter was sheer bliss.

Check-out was equally friendly and polite. I paid £159 for the room which can only be described as fantastic value; a similar quality room in a London hotel would easily be two or three times that amount. Parking was a very reasonable £5 for the night and the car park was massive.

Overall, this is a very modern hotel with very well-appointed rooms, that provides a very high level of customer service and delivers an excellent guest experience. Reading some of the other reviewers’ comments, I can appreciate the comments about it being the ideal start or finish to a holiday. Given that the available rates for standard rooms are in some instances only a few quid more than other budget hotels around the airport, I know where I would rather stay.

I would have stayed another night if the Superbikes hadn’t been on at Donington over that weekend and so the hotel was completely full. As it was, I left on the Saturday morning feeling refreshed & relaxed and with a smile on my face.

A very, very good hotel and highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Propaganda_Machine
KordulaS_13, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, East Midlands Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2013

Dear Propaganda_Machine,
It is great to read you like our Radisson Hotels. Thank you for your positive feedback about the Radisson Blu East Midland Airport. We strive to ensure high standards throughout the hotel. Please visit us again when you are in the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castle Donington
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
#5 of 7 in Castle Donington
Hilton East Midlands Airport
Hilton East Midlands Airport
#3 of 7 in Castle Donington
Holiday Inn Express East Midlands Airport
Holiday Inn Express East Midland...
#4 of 7 in Castle Donington
Best Western Premier East Midlands Airport Yew Lodge Hotel
Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club
The Priest House by the River
The Priest House by the River
#6 of 7 in Castle Donington

Been to Radisson Blu Hotel, East Midlands Airport? Share your experiences!