“Ideal airport hotel, good efficient staff, restaurant let the side down”

Hilton East Midlands Airport
Reviewed February 2, 2011

I have used this hotel 3 times in the last 3 years prior to departing from East Midlands Airport. Every time check in has been efficient and the rooms spacious, clean and cosy. I have always found staff to be very courteous. I was delighted and honoured to be upgraded free to a deluxe room. Each occasion I have used the Pavillion restaurant for evening meal. My last experience in 2008 left me feeling the meal was bland and overpriced. This time (January 2011) sadly the meal has really let the Hotel down. Four of us ate a main course only with bottled water to drink and one pint of beer. No starter, sweet or coffee was ordered and the bill came to £75. Normally I could accept this if the food was good however the first thing I noticed was that it arrived within 5 minutes of ordering. My wife ordered tuna steak which we also regularly eat at home and other restaurants. I know how it should taste and smell. Everyone at the table noticed the 'off smell' as it arrived and I would say it was well past its sell by date when I tried it. My cottage pie was OK but certainly not worth £16, was a bit bland and obviously prepared earlier. The other two meals were passable but again prepared earlier and not up to the value of £16. The kitchen did cook my wife something else but it was not worthy of the price tag. As my wife does not like complaining, we very reluctantly paid the bill. Hotel management please do something with this, as it really does let a good hotel down. I would stay again but would not eat in the restaurant unless I hear good future feedback.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hilton East Midlands Airport

Reviewed January 28, 2011

We stayed here whilst visiting friends locally. Its a standard hotel with nice rooms and reasonable facilities; nothing special but its not a destination hotel. Breakfast wasn't brilliant but the star for us was the night porter. We came back to the hotel late (after one in the morning) and he kept the bar open with fantastic service as we chatted into the morning.

We visit this area regularly and usually stay on a B&B at the same cost. We prefer this to the B&B but probably won't have brakfast again.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 23, 2011

We stayed here prior to our trip to Austria, skiing. The hotel was really convenient for the airport and we could leave our car here for the duration of a our stay abroad. The car was kept at the hotel and in a well lit car park near the hotel itself.
Hotel staff were frindly and efficient and the room was clean airy and had all the usual facilites - price for a bottle of water was a bit steep in the room, £3.95!
The transfer driver from the hotel to the airport was kind, good natured and lifted all our bags into the vehicle with care and consideration, he explained the drop off and pick up points to all the passengers and was there to meet us on our return, with the same care and efficiancy, thank you sir!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2011

This is my first trip advisor review, I writing this because after seeing bad reviews of this hotel I was worried about my stay, this was not the case, this hotel is very easy to find & get to, very clean with spacious rooms with free tea, coffee & biscuits. The staff at this hotel are very polite & helpful too, the breakfast is 5* with a full English & contential buffet, there is also a fully equipped gym & swimming pool with free towel hire, ok the bar is a bit expensive but it's not bad fir a hotel, coffee at the bar was £3.50 but it's costa coffee so about the same as if you went there,
Don't believe bad reviews this is a great hotel!.

• Stayed: January 2011
managerEMA, Front Office Manager at Hilton East Midlands Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your Vote of Confidence!!!

We will do our very best to ensure that we live up to your expectations.

Look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

kind regards

Reviewed December 29, 2010

Arrived 11pm, quite easy to find - just come off M1 J24, take A50 and stay in right hand lane and filter right after 500m to turn into hotel, albeit across a busy and fast carraigeway. You are greeted with a rather surprising barrier and obligation to take a car park ticket which at first looks very expensive, but the charge for residents is £5. We subsequently discovered this was complimentary during some of the Christmas break. Staff and welcome perfectly fine, and rooms were a good size, and a very comfortable bed. We could also open the window, very important, as some hotels have sealed windows and you have to rely on often faulty air con for 'fresh' air. Breakfast was amazing, fantastic buffet, and soya milk was even available on request. The spacious lounge area with free newspapers was very comfortable, and good for socialising or small meetings. Coffee was £3.95 which is more than I have ever paid before, but clearly helps pay for use of the lounge. Unfortunatley they wanted £5 for 30mins internet, so you need to bring a dongle. Nice swimming pool too, but you need to remember swim wear. Car park charges will be a bit of a niggle here for some, but overall, a very good venue. Staff relaxed and friendly. Good value via internet offers, and well recommended. DRW Kent

1  Thank summersunshine48
Reviewed December 20, 2010

Just had 2 nights here (£170 with dinner incl on the 1st night) plus parking. There were mass Xmas dinners (work parties) going on the night we had dinner - 3 tables were set aside for regular Hilton guests and we were asked to pay £5 if we wanted a table with a cloth and a cracker on it. We declined so had very average dinner, with a £25 bottle of wine - at a brown formica topped (very staff canteen-like) table.
Monday morning the party remnants - balloons and party poppers were still visible in the dining room (under chairs and tables), with much older dust and crumbs on the wooden rails round the room.
Rooms looking a bit tired, were probably very nice in the 80's. Chair in bedroom broken, and a suspicious stain on the stool (hope it was only make up), and a chunk missing out of the washbasin.
Would be OK to stay over if you had an early flight from from EMA, but for £85 not great value.

Reviewed December 17, 2010

Room good size but just not very well cleaned - last occupants hairs in bath, dust on surfaces, stains on towels

No safe in the room

Staff a bit 'serious' and a little rude at times - like no 'thank you' as you pay for drinks, or as they hand you back your change.........and taking your plate and food away from under your nose without asking if you've finished (I hadn't) - sat there with knife and fork in hand

Drinks and bar snacks are seriously expensive - over 25 quid for two alchoholic drinks and two juices

Constant gate crashing of our private function by what we think were 'locals'

People leaving for the airport at all hours, which isn't the hotels' fault but they could fit none 'slamming' doors and the odd sign asking people to be considerate

We were woken at 2:00, 4:00 and again at 05:30 by much crashing and 'planning meetings' outside our door

Hidden 'extras' added to bill such as parking, automatic donations to Hilton Charity (which you have to ask to be removed) - I didn't mind giving, but ask me first - don't just add it

Could be great with a decent staff set up and fairer pricing structure in the bar

Breakfast was great, even on the 'saucer' plate - I presume the idea is to discourage 'overloading'

1  Thank JK38JK38

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay with us.

I apologise that on this occasion we did not live up to the high standard that is expected of a Hilton hotel. Our HouseKeeping procedure is that the bedrooms get cleaned and then signed off by a supervisor against a Hilton Brand Standard check list to ensure that everything is perfect and ready for our guests.

Every 6 months we have an external auditor who comes in and evaluates the hotel in accordance with the internationally approved Hilton Brand Service Standards and we are scored on this and any deficiencies are picked up, discussed and resolved within a reasonable timeframe. This is so that our hotels standard is in keeping with the Hilton Culture worldwide and that our guests can expect a similar level of quality service wherever they travel.

I am confident that your next stay with us would be a much better experience and i look forward to welcoming you back again.

kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castle Donington
Radisson Blu Hotel, East Midlands Airport
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
#5 of 7 in Castle Donington
Best Western Premier East Midlands Airport Yew Lodge Hotel
Holiday Inn Express East Midlands Airport
Holiday Inn Express East Midland...
#4 of 7 in Castle Donington
Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court
Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to Hilton East Midlands Airport? Share your experiences!