“Okay but could do with some improvements !!!!”

Hilton East Midlands Airport
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We used this hotel for the night before our early morning flight, when we first arrived the hotel looked fantastic we were quite impressed In reception we were kept waiting 5-10 minutes while there was more than one member of staff on but only one dealing with customers which was quite disappointing. We got to our room and had 4 single beds we would of preferred 2 double or at least 1 double. Also the cleaning wasn't really to a great standard as the bathroom had remnants of previous guests not going to nick pick over that.

While we were at the hotel we used the pool and jacuzzi it was fantastic, couldn't have had better service in there and was probably the highlight of our stay there, the bus transfer first thing in the morning was fantastic to the bus driver was very friendly,and for all the children first thing in the morning there are loads of wild rabbits out and about.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Kayleigh_M_Williams
managerEMA, Front Office Manager at Hilton East Midlands Airport, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us your feedback.

We've noted your comments about the room and thank you for mentioning health suite facilities and also the mini bus service.

Thank you for staying with us and look forward to welcoming you back again.

There are newer reviews for Hilton East Midlands Airport

Reviewed December 5, 2012

Stayed on business - and was welcomed with 'we've upgraded you to a Club Class room from a standard'. That's nice, I thought. Couldn't actually see any difference anyway, having stayed there before, but the tea tray had no biscuits and no mini-bar (not that I'd use that at their prices anyway). I enquired about the biscuits, and it was now policy not to provide them - for cost-cutting not guest health reasons. This is a Hilton hotel, for goodness' sake. I know that biscuits aren't a ball-breaker, but come on. Interestingly, it was the only thing I remember about the stay. I think management should engage brain and act normally (if a Travelodge can do it, I'm sure the Hilton can), and also provide free wi-fi throughout the hotel, where reception is appalling at the best of times. The lovely ladies who look after the conference facilities are now just a lovely lady, and she's been stuck out in reception rather than the perfectly placed office next to the conference rooms, which is now being converted into a - yes, you've guessed it - chargeable computer room. Where will it end?!?!?!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

Your comments are genuinely appreciated and perhaps borne more out of a misunderstanding; while we don't stock biscuits in the room they are always available free of cost on request. This is being trialed with a view to avoiding waste more than a concern for economising. WIFI Internet is currently free in the public areas for all guests and free in the bed rooms for our Gold and Diamond Hilton H Honors guests. In addition we have invested in an upgraded business connectivity center which offers FREE state of the art computers for use with FREE wifi and FREE printing for all our In house guests. We do hope that this renewed facility will enhance the business experience for our loyal guests.

We look forward to you coming back to experience and enjoy these facilities

Reviewed November 28, 2012

I have criticised aiport hotels in the past for being dull ,characterless and functional but yhis one is the exception.First of all you would have no idea that an airport was nearby which is a plus and second the staff are all friendly and helpful unusual for an airport hotel.The rooms are comfortable with all the usual aids if slightly dated.There is ample parking which the hotel do not always charge for,the fitness area is good for a smallish hotel and there is also a pool.I had a bar meal which arrived within minutes ,the food quality was good although £16 for fish and chips was a little expensive.Breakfast was buffet style and adequate with attentive staff.I was upgraded to a suite which was a pleasant surprise on arrival.I paid £45 for a room which was good value for a 4star hotel.I would recommend this hotel to anyone .

Room Tip: ask for a suite they are very nice although on the top floor of the hotel
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting your comments on trip advisor.

We are delighted that we were able to meet your expectations and grateful for your recommendation.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed for 1 night with 10 nights car parking included on site.
Lovely large family room however far too hot on arrival!
We used the indoor heated swimming pool,jaccuzzi, steam room and sauna-very nice and no extra charge,
We ate in the hotel restaurant and paid £15 per adult for a very high standard eat as much as you like buffet which included salads, cold sliced ham/beef, pasta, pate, chicken curry, roast beef and yorkshire puddings, vegetables etc etc. and several desserts. We were too full for the inclusive coffee! our little boy ate for FREE and had his own childrens menu. Excellant standard of food and excellant value for money.
Complimentary transfer to airport took 5 minutes at 7am and runs every 20 minutes. You need to pre book the evening before departure, The mini bus driver was very helpful and assisted us throughout and was very cheerful. Smooth transfer back to hotel to collect car on our return.

Will return and would highly reccommend.

Room Tip: You keep your car keys so noone can move your car
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank sunnyredcar

Dear Guest,

We're over the moon with your feedback. Thank you so much.

This is what we are all about and it gives us great joy that we've made your holiday.

Thank you again.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stayed overnight on a park & fly holiday, hotel check in was so quick & efficient, lovely happy staff, bedroom was. Nice & clean, lovely comfy beds, we had beef burgers & chips in the bar lounge wow they were just amazing, this is the second time I've stayed at the Hilton and I can't fault it. Even the man in the mini bus to take you to the airport is so jolly & polite, thank you very much all the staff we had a fab time.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

We're absolutely delighted that you've had a fabulous time and thank you also for mentioning the staff for making your holiday.

Hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

My girlfriend and I decided to go to the Hilton for an evening meal as we're local and had never tried it (we've tried evening meals, just not at the Hilton). On entering the hotel, we weren't so much welcomed by the member of staff at the door, more sort of enquired upon as to whether or not we worked for Mitsubishi which seemed mostly bizarre. We found the bar, ordered a couple of (overpriced) drinks and were then immediately asked if we had change! All I could recommend at the time was for the barman to try not charging more than 12 pounds for a gin and a beer and there wouldn't be such a massive need for change from a twenty!!! The joke was lost.

So far, so not very good. We wandered off to the virtually empty restaurant and the waitress immediately asked us what our room number was. When we said we didn't have a room she seemed genuinely surprised. In retrospect we should have seen that as a cue for us to leave!! We were then asked if we had vouchers (No!) and shown to a bizarrely positioned table that had to be reset. When we enquired as to why we couldn't sit anywhere else, it was because the other tables were set for breakfast (I'm feeling like an idiot now for not just getting up and leaving).

Onto the meal. We were given a menu and asked to get our own bread, pour our own oil / vinaigrette, get our own butter etc. We ordered a Sirloin steak and gnocci, both of which were overpriced. For some reason there is a seven pound supplement if you have steak. I can only assume this is to pay for the time it takes to make it chewy and bland, make the sauce gloopy and give the chips the necessary time to go soggy.

After we left most of the main course we were asked if we wanted dessert. When we answered in the affirmative we were then encouraged to get up again and go and pick our own from a motorway service-style glass cabinet. There was no clue as to what anything was so it was best guess time. I gave it a miss, my girlfriend is braver than me. To be fair, she enjoyed it (whatever it was).

We'd had enough, we paid, we left. Nobody said goodbye. Nobody said thank you. Nobody wished a pleasant trip home or even a smile. That's because nobody was there! The "waitress" was working behind the bar when we left. It's nice to feel like a valued customer..........!

The final insult arrived when we needed to get out of the carpark. I was informed it would cost me three pounds to get out, at which point I had steam coming out of my ears. I pointed out that we'd just spent 60 pounds on rubbish and wanted to speak to the person in charge. He couldn't be found and after a few minutes I was given a ticket to get out.

At no point during the evening did I feel the slightest bit valued as a customer and, when you're paying in excess of £23 for a single dish, you expect better.

Hopeless from start to embarrassing finish.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wilsontuckett
managerEMA, Front Office Manager at Hilton East Midlands Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear Guest,

We are embarrassed to say the least from your account of the events and while things sometimes go awry at even the best of places I can assure you that this is not our usual standard of service. It is Hilton's practice to make things right for the guest and as per our conversation last week we are still waiting for you to take us up on our offer so you are able to experience our true level of hospitality.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I attended a conference at the Hilton East Midlands and found it to be a very good and handy hotel.

Prior to arriving, I needed some materials delivering and the hotel were only too happy to accommodate my requests and help with the planning.

On arrival I needed some materials removing from my car into our conference room and was not only directed to the rear doors of the room to make it easier, but met by the duty manager who helped me hump boxes and stands into the room.

The food throughout was very good, especially the conference dinner as catering for large numbers can be difficult. However, they provided good quality food that was tasty and hot, which isn't always easy for 100 or so. Again, the staff were excellent.

The rooms are large and spacious, I could pick up my internet connection easily and everything worked as it should. The en suites had plenty of room and the shower was very good.

Breakfast was excellent with a huge range of choice. My particular favorite was the chef cooking omelettes of your choice and then bringing them to your table. Even the waitresses welcoming you to the dining room get you your fruit juice of choice as you sit down. This is how service should be, not the Holiday Inn bunfight!!

Unfortunately, I didn't get to use the leisure facilities, but didn't hear any complaints.

Pricewise, it's as you would expect for a conference facility. Drinks can be pricey, which they always say are "representative of the area", but that's a load of tosh. £9 for a glass of wine is steep and that's why the Hilton doesn't get an excellent rating, but that's the only downside I could find.

What makes this place is the staff. Upon leaving, I needed materials out of the conference room to my car. The receptionist organised a porter to come to the room, help stack items on a trolley, wheel them out to my car and help put them in the boot. Other hotels would have you breaking your back with no assistance in sight. Well done.

All in all, a very good experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for posting your feedback on trip advisor.

It gives us great satisfaction that we have been able to make your conference a success. Thank you again for your appreciation and also for mentioning the staff for making it all happen.

Look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castle Donington
Radisson Blu Hotel, East Midlands Airport
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
#5 of 7 in Castle Donington
Best Western Premier East Midlands Airport Yew Lodge Hotel
Holiday Inn Express East Midlands Airport
Holiday Inn Express East Midland...
#4 of 7 in Castle Donington
Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court
Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to Hilton East Midlands Airport? Share your experiences!