This hotel came as a package with airport parking, the cost was £78.00 for a one night stay for two and parking for eleven days. We were met by a very efficient booking clerk who lacked all signs of life! There was no warm greeting, no smile whatsoever, the paperwork etc was all done as quickly as possible, coldly, and with no advise as to where we could locate our room......perhaps she knew what was in store for us!
Perhaps we should have taken note of the Rat Trap on the very front of the hotel, and in full view of guests to get an inkling as to what was to come!
The room was located right at the end of the furthest corridor, and as we passed the Spa an overwhelming smell of chlorine hit us and lingered all the way to our room which overlooked the car park and dual carriageway which wasn't a problem as to noise levels as there was triple glazing.....this was the only good thing about the room. It hadn't been cleaned, there were cup marks over the bedside tables, dressing table and desk. The wall paper was hanging off the walls beside the bed and the carpet still had the remains of the last occupants (tissues stuffed under the bed!!!)
The bathroom wasn't much better, Broken tiles and fittings, red and dark green mould on the tiles all around the bath and shower and the toilet bowl was stained down the front and still had the fitting instructions stuck to its base! To top it off the sink unit and base was in need of a good clean. We decided to ask for another room after discovering that the bed linen was torn and heavily stained (see photographs) We were advised at the reception that there wasn't anyone available, at this time, for someone to look into our complaints so we decided to take an early supper in the Bar while we waited. This was a very expensive mistake, we only wish we had brought a few sandwiches with us, but we were hungry so ordered from the menus. A ten inch Pizza was £14.00 a warm chicken salad cost £16.00 with a glass of wine and a pint it came to £43.00. The food was well presented but they served very limited amounts, the salad had just two pieces of tomatoes and the Pizza wasn't cooked underneath....You may ask why we ate at the Hilton, its a case of being captured, I'm afraid, once you are in the car park and the hotel, it's a chore to get back through security and getting the pass authorised and verified, and with such unhelpful reception staff it's just not worth it. We paid our bar tab and waited for over ten minutes for someone to attend to our complaints, by now we were tired, a little less hungry and in no mood to take on the Ice Queen so we went back to our room. By ten o'clock no one had referred back to us about the room so we turned in. Whilst in the foyer, the next morning, awaiting the taxi to the airport we overheard other guests taking about the prices in the bar, amongst other things, one guest said that they had ordered a takeaway and was told to eat it outside on the patio another said that they had taken a taxi into the next village and had had the best pub supper and all for under £30.00 for the three of them and that included the taxi returns.
Was there any one member of staff that stood out, as to customer service......Yes, only one and he was the Taxi Driver from the Hilton. Excellent service, the best in customer service. He was extremely helpful, and a great credit to the Hilton.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- IMPORTANT TRAVEL ADVICE: When travelling to the hotel and using a satnav, please search for the hotel name in the 'points of interest' or 'hotel search' section of your device. The reason is the hotel postcode covers such a large area that it can be imprecise on some devices. Please also note that if your satnav's maps are not up to date this can also cause misguidance, especially on tomtom devices. We strongly advise you to refer to our directions page on the hotel website ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Agoda so you can book your Hilton East Midlands Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton East Midlands Airport Hotel Castle Donington
- Hilton Hotel Derby
- Hilton Derby
- Derby Hilton
- Hilton East Midlands Airport Castle Donington, United Kingdom