“Great deal for stay and fly”

Hilton East Midlands Airport
Reviewed April 14, 2012

We stayed overnight at Hilton East Midland Airport. We got a great deal though Holiday Extras. Room only and a week’s parking for about £65. The deal included transfers to and from the airport. The transfers were quick and the drivers at both ends were good humoured and friendly. In fact all of the staff at the hotel was very friendly.

The room was typical Hilton. We heard no noise either from other guests or aircraft. There was a £12pp option for dinner. I didn’t expect much for that price, but the meal was very, very good with a good choice of plonk. The gym and pool looked good and was well used (by others!)

The hotel was little quiet on a Friday night as the weekday business travellers had departed and the weekend revellers and itinerants like us were just arriving.

At East Midlands Airport there were no queues at security. However, the holiday season hadn’t really yet started in earnest.

Irritatingly the cheapskates at the airport have a vending machine at security, selling the wee plastic bags for carry on toiletries rather than hand them out. These bags cost ONE PENNY to buy in bulk. I wouldn’t mind donating to a charity box next to a pile poly bags, but to charge a quid for a couple of bags really is low, especially when you have zero choice.

Room Tip: We got a room at the end of a corridor, so no passing guests in the night
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
managerEMA, Front Office Manager at Hilton East Midlands Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

We're very appreciative of your detailed comments and grateful that you have given us a great score.

Thank you for staying at the Hilton East Midlands and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed March 31, 2012

Stayed here on business and on the whole very good. Staff friendly & helpful & food was good. Bar prices expensive though. London prices in the Midlands. The isolated location means a captive audience.
Room was spacious & well equipped, but stank of cigarette smoke which actually put me off sleeping. Bed sheets & towels all smelled of smoke. Motorway noise means you can't open the window to let fresh air in if you also want to sleep. Bathroom was very good though.

On the whole, an accommodating hotel very handy for the M1.

Stayed: March 2012
managerEMA, Front Office Manager at Hilton East Midlands Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback.

All our guests comments are valued highly as it enables us to improve our services and products in line with guests expectations.

I am grateful for your frank observations which we will use in reassessing our cleaning procedures in smoking rooms in order to make our offering better for our guests.

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton East Midlands Airport Hotel.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

After a very nice day at Alton Tower we reached our hotel. We had to wait a few minutes to check in, but the lady was very nice and smiley! We went into our room and we run to the sweeming pool and sauna. After a few hour of nice time in the pool and sauna, we had a lovely fish and they prepared a nice salad also. Nice breakfast in the morning! I will recommend and we will return for sure! Thank you.

• Stayed: March 2012
managerEMA, Front Office Manager at Hilton East Midlands Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback.

We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us and had a lovely day at Alton Towers.

Thank you for giving us full marks in every department.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton East Midlands Airport Hotel.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

My family stopped here overnight this weekend, prior to a birthday trip to Alton Towers. The Hotel was brilliant, the staff all very helpful and friendly, the pool was just what we needed after our car journey. Room great, it was made up for the 4 of us. The food prices are very expensive though, so sought out a local pub which was excellent. At breakfast, I was 'treated' to a lovely freshly made pancake, by the two very kind chefs, with 'Happy Birthday' on the plate - as it was my birthday! It made my day!! The breakfast was most excellent - only shame was we didn't want to eat too much as we were off to Alton Towers for the day! Thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: We asked for a room at the end of the corridor, so as to be away from those people catching early fl...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
managerEMA, Front Office Manager at Hilton East Midlands Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

We are delighted that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and are grateful for your glowing recommendation.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton East Midlands again.

Reviewed March 23, 2012

Rooms are very good and you can't hear anything from the room even though you are near the main road and the airport. Very close to East Midlands so ideal for flights in or out of the UK.

The food was also excellent in the restaurant although the service could have been slightlty more efficient in the restaurant.

I was slightly shocked by all the alarms I found in my room it reminded me of the old folks home my nan used to be in.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
managerEMA, Front Office Manager at Hilton East Midlands Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback.

I am delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us and have given us your vote of confidence.

Look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton East Midlands.

Reviewed March 22, 2012

Booked double rooms here at £50 per room per night... very handy for early morning flights from EMA which is a 10 minute drive away. Considering the nearby Travelodge was charging £40 per room for the same night, I thought this hotel offered good value. Comfortable beds, helpful reception staff, good sized bathroom. Did what it needed to do, and I would stay here again, if the price was right.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback.

We are delighted that you were able to find yourself a good value deal. At Hilton we know that every little bit helps and so are always looking for opportunites to do special value offers so that our guests can make the most of their stays with us.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton again.

Reviewed March 21, 2012

I have stayed here a few times, let me start with the poisitves:

Location - if you want a hotel next to EMA or the M1
Staff- Freindly and helpfull
Cleanliness - the hotel & rooms are clean

The negatives:
The food - sitting in my hotel room just now finnishing my £33 meal of a small, probably cooked from frozen lasange, a tiny tiny slice of garlic bread a poor creme brullee and a lemonade. The night before I ate in a local pub (the nags head) and ate a nicer meal for £8 incluiding drink. I am on expenses but still hate getting mugged in hotels for over price rubbish food.
The Room - if you are a history buff and wish to expereince a room which was last updated in the 1980's with tired uncomfertable chairs, this is the place for you - these rooms probably have never been touched since the place oppened. I am not expecting the best rooms in the world - but at least they should meet the standard set by the low cost sister hotel of the Derby Hilton Hamptons.
Breakfast - now this is something it shares with its sister hotel Hilton please teach yours chefs to cook scrambled egg.
Car Park - Why does this place charge for its car park? I can understand City Centre hotels but this place is in the middle of now where.

This place could be so much better than it is. It needs to start investing in its rooms now. I'm a diamond hilton honours member and still palmed off with poor rooms, I strongly suspect all the rooms are this dated.
Sound - rooms lack sound proofing

Gym and Pool are of a good standard.

I stay in hotels every week (mainly hiltons) and consider this a fair review.

Come on hilton invest some of the cash from your over inflated food into your rooms!!!!

Room Tip: Book somewhere else until Hilton anounce upgrades, or wait to see if you get a cheap deal!!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
managerEMA, Front Office Manager at Hilton East Midlands Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback.

We value your feedback highly as it enables us to align our products and services with our guests expectations. I am extremely sorry that as a Diamond VVIP you did not have a satisfactory stay with us. I am very grateful that you have shared with us your comments about our hotel in such detail.

At Hilton East Midlands it is our privilege to be able to look after our very best guests and as a Diamond VVIP you should have had the finest stay with us. I am so sorry that on this occasion we have not been able to deliver to our usual standards.

I would be grateful if you would like to email me directly so that I can personally ensure that you receive the very best attention the next time you choose to stay with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castle Donington
Radisson Blu Hotel, East Midlands Airport
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
Jurys Inn East Midlands Airport
#5 of 7 in Castle Donington
Holiday Inn Express East Midlands Airport
Holiday Inn Express East Midland...
#4 of 7 in Castle Donington
Best Western Premier East Midlands Airport Yew Lodge Hotel
Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court
Donington Manor Hotel
Donington Manor Hotel
#7 of 7 in Castle Donington

Been to Hilton East Midlands Airport? Share your experiences!