“A gem on a Belper walk”
Review of Holly Bush Inn

Holly Bush Inn
Ranked #4 of 80 Restaurants in Belper
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A warm welcome awaits you at our family run pub, a hub for real ale drinkers and walkers alike. A traditional 17th century village inn, where highwayman Dick Turpin is reported to have frequented on his travels. An increasingly rare breed of unspoilt inn, where time has stood still, encapsulating the character and charm of the building. With fresh homecooked food, a selection of fine real ales and warmth from the open fires, there is much to tempt you. Nothing comes close to our pork pie and a pint!
Reviewed July 6, 2014

My sister and our two sons called here midway through a walk around Belper and the surrounding area. It is a lovely place with a friendly atmosphere. The food was very good, my sister and I both had the same it was a chicken and Brie salad it looked amazing and tasted delicious, my son had a pork baguette, and my nephew had the burger which they said were also very good.
The food is also very reasonably priced and the menu varied all in all a lovely visit, and on looking at the Sunday lunch menu, I am sure we will be going back.

1  Thank Amanda W
Chris_Landl0rd, Manager at Holly Bush Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our pub.
Its lovely to hear that you all enjoyed your lunch after your walk from Belper.
We try to offer food that appeals to all customers, as well as trying to cater for all food intolerences.
Hopefully on your next walk, you'll pop in and see us again.
Hot food is served Wednesday-Sunday 12-2.30pm with cold food being served all day everyday.

Reviewed May 23, 2014

Been to the Holly Bush many times in the past 40 years but this week was the first time for lunch as I would never have dared to eat there under the previous regime - regulars will probably know what I mean.
First I have to say I like the pub and I think the new(ish) landlord is doing a great job with it. Beers are well kept although I do sometimes have an issue with choice of beer - I try to avoid the staples of Pedigree, Ruddles, London Pride and Landlord as I prefer to support micro breweries. That usually leaves a choice of 3; sometimes a high alcohol one (avoid it) a dark one (don't like them) so I'm left with one. I know that I'm nit-picking but it would be good to have a wider choice of micro breweries - get rid of the Ruddles County, after all its nothing like the beer it was when first served from the jug 30 years ago!
On to the food. Its basic pub food. Good to hear that the pies are from Owen Taylor, one of the best suppliers to the pub trade. Prices are sensible, typically about £7.95 for pie chips and veg which is pretty good value. Pork pies and Huntsman pies (I think) are also worth trying.
Overall the pub has improved considerably in the last couple of years - please keep it up!

3  Thank kmr1809

Thank you for taking the time to review our pub.
Its great to hear that Chris, Alex & the Hollybush teams hard work is paying off. We have had an increase in numbers of customers complimenting the food. We try and change the menu to keep in time with seasonal change as well as keeping firm favourites such as the steak & ale pie.
With us being a traditional pub, it is difficult for us to change firm favourites such as Landlord, London Pride, Pedigree without disgruntling a fair few locals! We do however have a minimum of 3 guest ales at any given time, as well as the new craft keg which usually houses a Thornbridge beer, we also offer a minimum of 3 guest ciders which are proving extremely popular.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

Stopped by for a pint after many colleagues had mentioned as worthy of a visit.Good selection of well kept real ales and atmospheric rooms. A little bit on the dirty side but the locals were friendly and the owners very engaging and helpful. The best pork pie I've ever eaten - pork, pickle and Wensleydale cheese- no gunky jelly. I could only manage a half of pie but one to share over a few pints.

Thank you for taking the time to review our pub.
Its great to hear you enjoyed your after work pint with your colleagues. The new Wensleydale, pork & pickle pies are proving a big hit!
We have a team of 2 cleaners who do a fantastic job keeping our 400 year old pub and its memorabilia clean & tidy for our customers.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Having been out of the area most of the winter we had looked forward to another lunch at the Holly Bush and were not disappointed.
It was a lovely day, the beer was cold, the burgers and chips were lovely and tasty, the pudding was delicious and the coffee was of a high standard. My chief wine expert said her Pinot was great too so all in all 'couldna fault it' as they say round here. Well done you lot.

1  Thank Brunnsum

Thank you for taking the time to review our pub.
Its great to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your visit to the Hollybush. We try to always provide a warm welcome, good honest food & of course great ales.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Not been here in 28 years and wow wow wow, still the same amazing quirkiness to the pub itself, its aged charm just gets better. The staff are so friendly and helpful and service was the quickest I have known in many a while! Called in for lunch on good Friday, I chose the ham salad which was just delicious, from the local ham to the amazing home made chutney (wish I had asked if I could buy some) massive portion of salad was lovely. Hubby chose hot roast pork baguette and enjoyed every mouthful, it looked delicious, and what can I say about the chips? Not skinny pre frozen sticks of nothing, these are real, chunky and the BEST I have EVER tasted. Pudding was crumble which was just as delicious. Hubby enjoyed a pint or two of beer from the jug, just as beer should be served. Visited with our dog and was so pleased to find that he was made as welcome as we were. Lovely beer garden too with sun shining. A perfect lunch and we are definitely going to be retuning.

1  Thank Amanda L

Thank you for taking the time to review our pub.
Its great to hear that having not visited for 28 years the pub still offered you the quirkiness we are known for.
Its also brilliant to hear such positive reviews about our traditional home cooked food. Proper chips are a must here at the Hollybush!
Dogs are always welcome, in any room of the pub.