“Surprisingly Good”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Sometimes listed as Belper
Reviewed September 27, 2012

The building looks like an old little Chef restaurant so we weren't hugely confident going in, but we were pleasantly surprised.
There were two staff working when we visited. The first lady who took our inital orders was smiling and friendly, making us feel welcome - the other lady was surly and abrupt. Odd to find two such different attitudes in such a small place!
The generix mixed starters were OK - they bog-standard prawn toast, mini spring roll, onion ring(!) selection. The small ribs were the standout here with a tasty sauce, they just fell off the bone.
The real joy came when we ordered the mains - a sesame coated crispy chicken was light and tasty, duck with water chestnuts, bamboo shoots and oyster sauce was tasty, as was beef with black pepper. Rice was fairly plentiful and chow mein was well cooked.
Really good value for money at £11 each.

1  Thank Ali_P_75

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Went for our fourth visit to the Memory Of China last night and it just gets better and better.
The food it absolutely wonderful, a huge buffet variety with no nasty heat lamps - all food is cooked for you once you order.
The drinks are reasonably priced too.
The staff are really helpful - I noticed in one review a lady was explaining how her 3 year old only eats cracker and toast and is charged quite a lot. We were in the same predicament and explained that our 3 year old would probably only nibble bits here and there so the manager charged us £1.00 for him to dine :-)
Traditionally decorated, with traditional food at an excellent price - what more could you ask for.
We travel from Derby town centre to Ambergate to visit the Memory and will continue to do so unitl we are on our zimmer frames :-)

2  Thank Emineyx1x
Reviewed August 29, 2012

This Chinese restaurant is one of the best in the area. The establishment is very nice, always clean and tidy. It's very good value and food is ALWAYS fresh and hot. All the staff are very quick, pleasant and polite. Very good value for money. I go regularly with the family and we all enjoy it very much.

1  Thank SarahBWard
Reviewed August 22, 2012

The place was nice but I wasnt impressed with the kareoke machine and tv would rather have chinese music playing anyway the food. we went on a trial deal £10 for two people Im glad I didnt pay the proper price the starters were like ICELANDS chinese platter and It was confusing on what you could order I thought a buffet was all laid out and you had a bit of this and a bit of that to taste the different foods instead we had the starter then asked to choose a main and side dishes my beef in pepper didnt arrive so I had to ask and when it came it was more like beef in gravy.I would have liked to have had smaller portions and try a few more dishes but that wasnt the case also all the other tables were asked if they would like any more except us but that could be down it being too busy for them to remember there was 12 customers in at the time and I wasnt bothered anyway....

The positives are....a good car park......stella at £3.20 a pint....cant think of anything else... dont let my oppinion put you off I did go on a buffet night maybe if you go for a proper meal it might be different..

1  Thank whitebhoy
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We (four adults) went to this restaurant on a Groupon and was very pleased with the whole thing.
Sometimes on deals your treated different ( with different menu and amounts ) but not here.
The food was hot and tasty, we all had soup and then the buffet, the service was excellent and girls were all friendly.
One thing I didn't agree with was paying £6 for our Grand-daughter who's 3 who just ate soup and few crackers. (didn't know children under 2 eat free as not seen menu or policy.)
Had heard mixed views to be honest.
We will be going again, BUT wish the view of under 2 would change to under 4 after all how much do they eat ?
Or is it to put people with children off???
Prices are different from Sunday Lunch 12--5.30 £8 adult Children £5
Sunday Evening though to Thursday £11 Adult Chilren £6
Friday and Saturday Adults £14 Chilren £7
Hope our review is of some help to others.
Sandy, Brian.