“Not for dieters............”

Ranked #36 of 80 Restaurants in Belper
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Visited the pub on Mothers day but as we had booked no problem with table even though they were packed as you would expect, we went later in the day but still had attentive service from the numerous staff on duty, all the meat eaters went for the carvery and what a choice there was too- eat as much as you want with a large plate, all seemed fresh with plenty of choice of vegetables, bit limited for the 1 vegetarian we had with us but hey its a carvery after all. Sensibly priced pub food well worth a visit

3  Thank martin1967ad

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We loved the Railway Inn after our very first visit for a Friday lunch with my in-laws. My mother in law is quite critical of food being an excellent cook herself and we came away without a murmer of complaint, only praise of how this public house looks quite unassuming on the outside but is an absolute treasure on the inside and is certainly good value for money.
My father in law had been recently unwell so this was our first venture out post recovery. What a treat. With being "newbies" to the Railway we were a little unsure of the lay out and what to do but after a quick study of the menu and a little people watching we discovered you can opt for two sizes of carvery (small and standard), this had a choice of Pie, liver and onions, different cooked roast meats or three or four other foods etc along with a help yourself host of fresh and roasted vegetables with various trimmings. There was also a generous and varied selection on the table menu. Being Friday my in laws favoured the fish and chips. My Father in law remarked on how fresh the fish was and how white the cod was under the batter. I opted for the carvery and thoroughly enjoyed every mouthful.
The decor was tasteful and modern but married tastefully alongside the theme of the Inn with pictures of train engines. The staff were very helpful, friendly and aproachable. We didn't feel "hemmed in" although the Inn is obviously a popular venue because it was quite busy when we arrived.
I would certainly recommend the Railway, we booked beforehand to be guaranteed a table because of it's popularity and we shall certainly be returning in the near future. Thank you so much to the staff for a most enjoyable visit.

1  Thank Tracehiggi
Reviewed March 15, 2013

i thought i would re-visit the railway inn at shottle i must say that the welcome at the door is just as good as previous visit,was asked if i was having carvery or something a little different i decided to keep to the carvery,the choice of meats were beef,turkey,ham, i went for the beef unfortunately although it looked cooked on the outside it was red inside i declined the beef and had turkey which was quiet good i think that the carverys should do two beefs one very well done and the other which is red when cut for customers who like it like that,all veg good,mashed potatoe good and there roast potatoes were excellent and choice of gravys if the beef had been to my liking i would have scored the extra star.there has been a change of manager and some staff

2  Thank derbweb1
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I came here this lunchtime for a pub lunch and was greeted with a fantastic array of food qualifying as an all you can eat roast! The price was surprisingly good for the choice of dishes, and everything tasted great. The meat was also very tender which is always important. There is the standard menu too which also offers you standard pub grub, I've yet to try it but I'll definitely be back for the roast!

4  Thank Fran K
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We have just visited The Railway Inn for a midweek carvery and I must say how impressed we were with the quality of the food and the service ,especially with a member of staff who served us (Joe). It was our first visit back to the Railway for quite a while and we had been hearing good reports about the food so we decided to give it a try and we were not dissapointed , the choice of the food on offer was the best we have ever seen at a carvery , with three roasts , two pies, a stroganoff,beef in red wine etc etc and all the trimmings we definately be going back , we cannot reccomend this pub highly enough its 10 out of 10 well done to all the staff.

1  Thank consumerman