“Lovely lunch”

Nonno's Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 85 Restaurants in Belper
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Our Restaurant is run in the Italian way with passion and flair. We present an original idea to combine Italian and English cuisine in the relaxed surroundings of the picturesque town of Belper, Derbyshire.
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Me and 3 friends (plus 2 small children) visited here for lunch one afternoon, was delighted to see that they catered for the children so well. Food was lovely. Lunch time menu isn't vast but sufficient and reasonably price. Staff weren't as attentive as other places had to ask for the bill 3 times but they were polite. Atmosphere was nice although it was dark for most of our meal until the staff were reminded to turn the lights on. Overall a nice spot for some lunch, would visit again.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

We were warmly welcomed in to the Cafe Nonno restaurant by the Italian owner and his excellent team, and given a choice of locations. A very good start.

In terms of the menu, they have a can-do, eager to please attitude - we asked for the fish platter to be made into a share for 4 starter and this arrived promptly - excellent selection it was too.

The main courses were equally good - a selection of pasta based dishes and chicken, the latter having an accompanying side dish. The house wine was good.

Diners at nearby tables were clearly enjoying the place as much as we were and it's easy to see why - great service, great food, acceptable prices - you cant ask for more!

We will definitely be returning soon! Highly recommended...

Reviewed May 29, 2013

My firnd and I visisted Cafe Nonno's in early Feb for my birthday. It was a Saturday evening. The place was packed with large parties - you couldn't hear yourself think. We were stuck on a table for two right in the middle of the upstairs seating area, in the main walk way to get to other tables. Hardly out of the way!
I am a vegetarian. The selection on the menu - both starts and mains was very poor and what I would describe as 'totally unadventurous'. I think there were only a couple of options on both the starters and mains menus. I ended up with mushrooms in cream sauce for starter and nothing more interesting than penne in a tomato sauce for the main. Neither of them were difficult to make and were nothing out of the ordinary at all. I could have easily made them at home. They were not cheap - £6 for the start and £11 for the mains. Not what I would consider value for money for something so ordinary. I would expect something very much more exciting - may be the chef can't stand cooking for vegetarians?!
Whilst the food was quite filling (we didn't bother with a pudding - again nothing out of the ordinary) - the bill came to nearly £60 with a couple of alcoholic drinks each.

In short - lousy atmosphere - far too busy with too many people in too big parties, boring and very over priced food. I can't recommend it.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Not been eating out in Belper for a while - not been going to the Ritz so no reason to be there in the evening, so not been to Nonno's either. Returned on Friday with my two sisters who were staying. We were greeted like long lost friends or family and made to feel so welcome - really nice to be made to feel so good.

And the food was as good as ever - the newish menu has a good range of dishes, and the specials add a little extra sparkle. New puds too, in separate menu with photos which always bothers me a bit - but the panacota (sp?) was delicious.

Didn't try them but was told there are some new flavoured grappas - something to loook forward to next time.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Went to the restaurant as a guest of my brother, really enjoyed the meal, very attentive pleasant service,
Enjoyable evening would have been better if my brother had paid!

If my brother enjoyed it the food must be good, had the fish platter, very good fresh fish, look forward to going back