“Amazing place to eat”

Add it.
The Old Siam
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I LOVE this restaurant. The food is always AMAZING, the staff are attentive and very friendly. Service is excellent, and value is good. The setting of the restaurant is intimate and welcoming.
If you like Thai food, this is the place to go.
Wonderful I cannot recommend it enough.

1  Thank LindenMouse

Reviewed February 12, 2012

We were there last night with friends and I've got to say the food and service was excellent. We have been many times and it is always outstanding in every way including value for money.

Reviewed February 4, 2012

I had heard good things about The Old Siam, and following the reported decline of our previous favourite Thai restaurant (Siam Corner in Derby) we were keen to give our local Thai restaurant a go.

The restaurant itself is extremely well hidden in the north mill in Belper (leave a little extra time to find it if you're unfamiliar with where it is, although there is ample parking), and the restaurant itself is rather quirky, although not unpleasantly, on the interior on account of the rustic style of the mill building and the more recently added elements of decor.

My wife and I both ordered one of the set menu options comprising a mixed starter, and main courses of green chicken and aubergine curry, king prawns with green beans and chilli, and a selection stir fried vegetables (and served with jasmine rice).

Following the complimentary crackers, the starter comprised a selection of Thai fish cakes, chicken satay, spring rolls, tempura prawns and a (very spicy) salad.
All were very tasty, with the fish cakes particularly nice.

The main courses were similarly good - the chicken curry was fragrant, full of tender meat and everything one would expect from a good green curry, and the king prawns were some of the biggest and best cooked that I've experienced.

Very full from our mains, we shared a sweet of coconut pancake roll and ice cream- which despite our inital reservations, was a very pleasant surprise.

Along with two bottles of rosé wine, our meal came to a very reasonable £65, and the service was very good.

My only slight criticism is the atmosphere- it was surprisingly quiet for a Friday night, even more surprising given the wonderful quality of the food. This was possibly the combination of freezing February temperatures and the slightly-out-of-town-centre location.

In addition, the restrooms were situated within the mill museum, which was a little bizarre, but it was a taking point if nothing else!

All in all, we were both extremely impressed with the food, value and service, and shall definitely return soon.

Our new favourite Thai restaurant!!

1  Thank Sharkythepieman
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Excellent food which was very nicely presented. Great service and reasonable prices.
Will go again and would recommend.

Reviewed May 26, 2011

I've eaten here roughly once a month over the last three years and I have never, ever had a bad meal. I've spent a month in Thailand and eaten in lots of different Thai restaurants in the UK and abroad and this is definitely one of the best.

Food is consistently good and reasonably priced. Staff are friendly and accomodating.