“Friday Lunch”

The Fishermans Rest
Ranked #26 of 83 Restaurants in Belper
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Fishermans Rest is now under the ownership of Tim and Laura as of March 2018. We are very pleased to be able to build on the successful business we took over. Welcome to our traditional Derbyshire Country Pub. Perfectly kept Real Ales including many from local breweries, ciders and top quality wines and a large range of gin. Our food is all prepared fresh by landlord Tim who has his own livestock as well as owning the multi award winning Terroir Bistro in Derby. Our menu changes regularly and we can cater for Funeral Wakes, Christenings and Family Parties. The Pub is very 'dog friendly' and boasts a large garden and sun terrace - the sun shines on the property all day and sets on the front of the Pub and the Terrace. Classic pub games on offer - Darts, Dominoes, Table Skittles, Cribbage. Come and see us for a warm Derbyshire welcome.
Reviewed August 25, 2012

The food and service in this small and friendly pub/restaurant is excellent. I am a vegetarian and I have always been impressed by the choice of food. The chef has offered to cook a dish for me that was not on the menu! The presentation of the food is excellent.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

Really disappointed! We paid £8.00 each for 2 courses which seemed really good value until the meals arrived. Sausage casserole contained little more than a solitary sausage cut into peices and the goats cheese lasagne although tasty was a really meagre portion. These were both served with 3 VERY dry new potatoes and one sliced carrot. The pud was ok-possibly not homecooked and again a very small portion. Redeeming feature- the service was speedy and attentive. Definately would not recommend the meals based on this experience.

1  Thank greecemaniamidlands
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Tried the Fishermans after reading a review in a local free newspaper. As soon as we went in the ambience was first class. A warm welcome and very attractive staff. We shared a starter of mushrooms on bruschetta, which was to die for. I then had cod loin , my wife had leek and spinach tart, both meals were well presented and tasted really great. Seasoning was spot on.We then shared a sweet. Cost of meal (one stater- two main and one sweet) £30.Highly recommend the Fishermans, ok may be a bit pricier than your normal pub food, but at end of the day, you do get first class restaurent quality meal, great service, pleasent surroundings. Will defo be back.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

I first visited this restaurant when the new owners had just taken over, for lunch and for dinner and although the menu choice was limited at that time ( maybe 3 - 4 years ago) it was obvious that the passion and the potential were there as the food was really good quality, fresh and well cooked. I looked forward to returning once they had got themselves settled in and built up a 'following'! However, to my shame, I totally forgot about it as the friend I used to visit for lunch in Belper moved away. After visiting twice in the last 4 weeks, with different companions, I REALLY wish I hadn't forgotten about this restaurant.
I have always been treated to a warm welcome, whether from the landlady or the staff and been made to feel like a valued customer. There are several different menus that follow a theme over the weeks but have diiferent, adventurous and innovative combinations. There is a specials board which changes on a regular basis depending on the fresh produce available (always with fresh fish), a regular menu and a snacks menu - so every appetite and taste is catered for. There are also themed nights such as Thai and Fish and my companion and I are waiting with baited breath for the gourmet evening which is planned for the near future.
Every meal I have eaten here I have not been able to fault:- from the ingredients, the quality, the portion size, the interesting and varied veg and the creativity of the menu. This is a menu created with thought and cooked with passion.
I love the staff as they seem to have the balance between friendly and efficient just right. The pub also serves a good variety of well kept real ales and wines.
I have eaten in many places all over the world of differing qualities and prices but I have to say that this is one of my favourites. It is also very well priced for what you get - believe me I have paid a lot more for much inferior dishes!
LOOKING FORWARD TO MY NEXT TRIP TO THE FISHERMANS REST

Reviewed July 30, 2012

Well I have been to the fishermens rest tonight and I was pleasantly surprised. After my partner commandeering the evening by saying he wanted 'pâté' our quest for said item ended up at this pub.

They didn't have pâté - no longer did it do we had scallops for started and Sea bass for main. The scallops certainly made up for the new non pâté menu!

I am particularly fussy person and expect a good standard of well just decent food and this definitely went down a treat. Genuinely nice people with genuinely nice food.

My only gripe on the matter would be that I asked for chips instead of new potato's - not a huge fan but when my partners come I wish I had had them as they looked pretty tasty - any way, I wanted chips instead and I asked to swap she said not really as potatoes is part of it, as chips were 50p more than the potatoes I said well can I just have chips no potatoes and Ill pay the difference - I assumed it would be the difference and much to my dismay I had been charged the full £2 extra ! Normally I would say naff off but on this occasion I paid it no quarms and even left a couple of quid tip!

Simply because the food was that excellent ! I will definitely be going back!! X