“Belper Base” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Belper
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Belper Base”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

My second time here, we were at a wedding reception 6 years ago and it was good. Got a great deal through expedia.com £42 for a very decent room. Arrived about 2.30 pm. Had a guinness (very good) my wife had a coffee which she enjoyed. A very lively naming party was in progress with loads of (well behaved) kids. There was a very good 3 piece group playing quietly. All the doors were wide open being a lovely day. The grounds were in very good shape and my wife enjoyed a stroll before we had a very good afternoon tea in the (very small) bar. Met the friends whose wedding it had been and we went out to The Hanging Gate (about 2.5 miles away) for evening meal then back to hotel for beer and coffee before a very comfortable nights sleep. Breakfast was good. Reasonable value and we enjoyed our stay. Staff were very helpful when I left my phone charger and posted it back to me.

Room Tip: Try to get one looking over the garden.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PurpleHazeDerby, General Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback, it’s great to here that you had a positive experience while with us. I will pass on your feedback to the rest of the team who will be thrilled to hear your feedback.

Kerry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Derby, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

We attended last weekend for a wedding and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The vast majority of the staff were very friendly and helpful (only one member of reception staff was rude and about as useful as a chocolate teapot but hey, you can't have everything!). The food was great and our room was lovely. Our only complaint was the heat - our room was like an oven and if we hadn't brought our own fan we would have really struggled to get any sleep at all, particularly with a 3 month old baby in tow. Granted the hotel can't manage the weather though!

Room Tip: We were based above the car park and were worried about the
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank NarleyHoolio
PurpleHazeDerby, Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2014

Kendal, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

We spent 2 nights here last week using a gift voucher from buyagift.com. Our check-in was very speedy and the receptionist very welcoming. To our surprise we were allocated the Bridal suite (about 40 years too late for us!). The room was big with a coffee table & 2 chairs and very clean with an enormous comfy four poster bed. The tea & coffee making tray was well stocked, the kettle was one of the fastest boilers I've come across in a mini kettle. Our room looked out onto the well cared for gardens and despite it being very close to the lift was very quiet.

Breakfast on both mornings was excellent, we both had the full English, the coffee was lovely.

A very enjoyable stay and well situated for visiting the Peak District. Buses run into Derby every 15 minutes so we left the car at the hotel & travelled by bus.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Legallass

Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

Lovely setting in the heart of the Amber Valley. Don't be put off by some of the negative comments. Food was good, staff pleasant, large rooms - obviously awaiting some refurbishment but no complaints from us.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank careyjars

Derby
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

Recently visited here for a wedding, the wedding was lovely however the staff were not up to scratch. A drink was served for my toddler in a wine glass, I asked for something more suitable and got a glass tumbler. Glass broken by staff and not cleaned up properly. Paid a lot of money for the room which had just been renovated but it was premier inn standard. The bridal suite had nice furniture but there were stains everywhere!!! The food was lovely as was the lady at the front desk.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Rodg_1990

Travelers are raving about these Belper hotels

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

Ok, so this is not the best hotel you'll stay in, but hey if you set you expectations correctly it's a lovely old place in a beautiful setting. The hotel is currently (slowly) being refurbished and we stayed in an unrefurbished room and it was quite ok. Huge room and absolutely adequate for our needs. I think it's absolutely fine ... My fiancé thought it was ok, and the huge bed was super comfy.

Room Tip: We had room 15 ... Huge and great bed ... A little tired but more than ok for us.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

I bought a groupon for a night here despite the recent poor reviews.

What a horrendous experience trying to book. A chargable booking line which keeps you on hold for ages before dropping you into a voicemail service to leave a message. If you are going to handle your call center via call-backs then dont make people wait on the line for ages first just so you can rip a little more money out of them

I eventually recieved a call back from an offshore call center from a chap that was very difficult to understand that told me I couldn't have my prefered date as they were fully booked. I told him hotels.com et al all showed spaces but was then told the groupon rooms are kept separate from normal rooms.

Way to insult your customers and make them feel like second class citizens

Terrible service.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Pabcpabc
Kerry R, General Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback and apologies that your experience wasn’t entirely positive while dealing with us.
From reading your review it appears that there has been some confusion, first of all please don’t worry about the 0844 number that you called, it’s not a premium number, just a national number, therefore I am happy to inform you that you haven’t paid anything additional. Also the central reservation office isn’t based overseas, its actually based in Bambury. As you have purchased a Groupon voucher it is subject to availability and therefore some dates are fully booked.

It’s not our intention to make any one feel like a second class citizen, but unfortunately at times phone lines are busy and availability is limited (this has been clearly stated on the voucher, prior to purchase).

Please let me know if I can assist further in any way and I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel.

Kerry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belper
The Morley Hayes Hotel
#1 of 1 in Cromford
New Bath Hotel and Spa
New Bath Hotel and Spa
#2 of 3 in Matlock Bath

Been to Makeney Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!