“Fantastic staff who couldn't do enough”
Review of Makeney Hall Hotel

Makeney Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Belper
“Fantastic staff who couldn't do enough”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights. I had notified the hotel by email that it was a special surprise break for my husband's 65th birthday. I received a call from Gemma who told me that they had upgraded our room for free and asked if there was anything else they could arrange. I asked for chocolates and a balloon with breakfast in bed on the actual birthday date. This was all arranged. Our room was actually the Strutt suite which had its own sauna! The hotel and grounds are lovely for a relaxing break. The food is very good and reasonably priced. We very much enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend this hotel which I found through Buyagift.com. Everything was spot on and my husband had a birthday treat to remember!

• Stayed October 2013
Kerry R, Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. I’m so pleased to hear that you had a positive experience while with us. I will pass on your kind comments to the team and I hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Thanks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Wakefield
Reviewed October 30, 2013

My partner and i came here on a groupon deal on the 19th of October. Both of us had read the reviews on here and some were quite scathing! well i'm happy to say we were amazed by how lovely everything was and not at all like the reviews ( some people can be so picky) food fabulous room very spacious and bed very comfortable and most of all very clean. I would definitely come back again and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it friends or family either....

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2013

makeney hall was amazing a beautiful hotel and just as lovely gardens.We went for one night .we spent a fab afternoon in the local pub opposite Hollybush .The room in makaney hall was very spacious with a large tv, it was one of the largest rooms we have stayed in and it had a n old cooking range in .When we went down for dinner staff were very attentive we sat in conservatory and they reserved our seats because we wanted to sit near the window which i thought was very good of them .Food was lovely we had 3 courses but i advise 2 courses as large portions .We stayed here with an offer fro KGB it was 79 pound that included bed and breakfast for two, a bottle of wine, 20 pound off your food bill .All in all super weekend would love the offer to come again would book straight away

Room Tip: Room 32 The nursery enormous,good field views

Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We attended Makeney Hall for the naming of our great granddaughter. The function room was tastefully decorated and balloons were provided for the toddlers to play with. The ceremony was well conducted. The staff were friendly and efficient. Unfortunately, the buffet was disappointing consisting of poorly filled sandwiches which were quite dry and tasteless. The scones were OK but insufficient cream was provided.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Peterborough
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Makeney Hall, a typical Victorian mansion, provides a central stay with lovely surrounding countryside views.
Signing from the main road is a bit poor as it is located off the main road and sharp right just over the bridge if arriving from Derby.
We arrived early afternoon around 2pm and were disappointed to have to wait for our room to be made up(45 mins) with only 46 rooms this seemed a bit out of the ordinary.
The room was quite spacious and all the usual facilities (no tissues), and appeared to be in the quitter side of the hotel and at night there is no outside noise(other than the occasional owl). Bed was comfy and the tele good with normal tea and coffee avail.
The hotel is a rambling old building and the breakfast room which was the conservatory was very open and bright. Breakfast was the only meal we had and this was more than adequate and served to order by excellent staff.
We had intended to have our evening meal at the Holly Bush across the road (trip advisor recommended pub), but the only serve meals Wed to Sun so we took off to the Hanging Gate inn on the other side of Belper, highly recommended.
The weather rather curtailed making many visits to local sites but the hotel gives easy access to surrounding attractions with not too far to travel to any of them. (The factory tour of Denby pottery has finished for the winter !).
Staff were very good and nothing too much trouble for them.

Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2013

The wife and I stayed overnight at Makeney Hall, for a work related celebration.

On arrival the check-in was efficient and cheerful. The room was a bit tired but then it is an old grand house. The room its self was large, clean and comfortable, but no views from its two windows. The bed would have looked better presented with a valance, but it was comfortable and we had a good night’s sleep. The public areas were clean with period décor in good condition.

The function its self, was well organised and the staff efficient and helpful. The period décor made this a nice place for a function, with a nice conservatory, for pre-dinner drinks, and a good sized function room.

In the morning, we had a nice buffet breakfast, in the conservatory. This had good views of the gardens and the village of Holbrook.

The check-out receptionist was helpful and efficient.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kerry R, Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry that your stay was not entirely positive, for which I can only apologise. We do have an internal improvement scheme in place at the hotel and we do continuality try to improve the appearance of the hotel. It is only through comments such as yours that we are able to improve our standards and service. I will pass on your kind comment onto the team. I hope that you re-visit us soon and provide us with an opportunity to restore the faith that has been lost.
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I recently attended a 2 day conference and have to say I was blown away by the entire offering, the staff, rooms, setting and especially the food offering. I would have to problem in recommending this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Thanks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belper
Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club
#1 of 1 in Horsley
Peak Edge Hotel
Peak Edge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Stonedge

Been to Makeney Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!