“No room at the inn”
Review of Makeney Hall Hotel

Makeney Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Belper
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Although it is almost a year since my son's wedding reception at Makeney Hall, I wish I had put my comments on Trip Advisor earlier. On arriving after a wonderful church wedding we were told we had booked the wrong night to stayand my eldest son who had booked 2 double rooms a year before the wedding was told there were no rooms available and yet he had e=mails to prove his booking. Also a friend of the groom was told no room available. As you can imagine this put a damper on the whole day,we were offered the Derwent Suite with camp beds and portable heaters as you can imagine we refused. A friend of the groom, our son, offered to give up his room for us and he and his family returned home. Our eldest son, wife ,daughter, partner and 1 year old son returned to our home 12 miles away by taxi provided by the hotel.
The food for the reception was very good, but the bar was under staffed 1 bar person for 120 guests, not acceptable.
We complained to the manager a few days later and were offered free sunday lunch, our son lives 50 miles away. This we declined..
The hotel needs a complete refurbishment to bring it up to 4 star.
We will not be visiting again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank derek s
Write a ReviewReviews (1,074)

Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed on sept 1st after a lovely wedding ceremony, the food was very nice and the lunch service very good. There seemed to be a shortage of staff as the outside tables were full of empty glasses, wine bottles and champagne bottles etc in the afternoon and they were still all there at 1am when we retired to bed. Luckily the bride and groom were too happy to notice. We came down for breakfast at 8am and there was plenty of choice, it was very good. We checked out at around 10 am and went home. At aprox 4pm we got a telephone call from the hotel manager and was abruptly informed that we would have to pay for another night as our room had to be deep cleaned because the cleaners had just found a cigarette end, (nearly 6 hours after we checked out) someone had been smoking in it. I was very taken aback and explained we did not smoke. I was told by the manager that she was going to go up and check the room and she would call me straight back. This was 20 days ago and she still has not rang me back!!!!!!! BEWARE

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank TcDw
Reviewed September 19, 2012

In fairness this Hotel it has changed owners yet again, however they would have to have made remarkable changes to make this a place to visit.

When we visited it was a family occasion and the service was appalling, the food not up to standard I would expect from such a high profile establishment.

Lets just hope they may improve.:

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank terriDerbyshire
Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

just had a two night stay with my husband and his parents thoroughly enjoyed the relaxing break. beautiful part of the country and a beautiful hotel with loads of character. very helpful staff couldnt do enough for us thankyou. we will be back

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I have travelled the world for the past 30 years and have never stayed anywhere quite like this.
The bathroom was in need of a deep clean and the towels were so thin they could have been made from bedsheets. Fortunately, if the breakfast was a guide to the culinary standards, I decided not to visit the restaurant for an evening meal although upon leaving the bill showed that I had ordered a rib eye steak and a bottle of wine.
The booking for this '4 star' establishment was made through our corporate booking agents who I have informed of my experience.
Now, had I been an entomologlist this could have been an interesting working break. I could perhaps have studied the insects, the bites of which can be nothing but flea bites, which attacked the lower half of my torso overnight.
I would describe the reaction of the reception staff to my comments as at best blase.
I have put my issue regarding the fleas in writing to the establishment and, as of now, am awaiting a response, although I'm not holding my breath.
Never again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank JohnJoeM
George A, General Manager at Makeney Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Thank you for your review following your stay. The points you raised regarding the Housekeeping and Breakfast standards have been discussed and addressed with the relevant Heads of Department and appropiate action has been taken.
Your e-mail was forwarded for my attention and I replied to you on September 5th.
Prior to receiving your e-mail, your comments were relayed by Reception as soon as you checked out. Our Housekeeping Team carried out a thorogh inspection of the room and could not find any evidence of fleas or any insects.
Furthermore, the room you stayed in was used every day except Sunday on the week prior to your arrival and was occupied again the night following your departure and subsequent nights last week and the guests staying in it did not report anything on check out. We also checked with all the Housekeeping Team members that cleaned the room over this period and none of them suffered from any bites.
In addition to the daily checks carried out by our Housekeeping Team, we also have monthly inspections by our contracted Pest Control Company. As a further precautionary measure, we have asked for an extra inspection to be carried out of that room and those adjacent to it. Again, no complaints of the nature you have raised have been received regarding any other rooms or areas in the Hotel.
Based on the outcome of our investigation and the lack of oher complaints I am unable to offer you an explanation as to the nature of the bites you reported, but please rest assured that your comments have been taken very seriously as the Health and Safety of our guests and staff is of paramount importance to us.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Having driven up from west Wales, one of the three rooms i had booked still wasn't ready at 2.30 and we were left sitting on a bench in the car park. I had booked three doubles and one was a twin without any explanation. Front of house staff had a very "like it or lump it attitude" and to make matters worse we were told that wedding guests rooms took priority. We were a party of five and could not sit together at breakfast firstly because no one could be bothered to slide two tables together and yes....the larger tables were for wedding guests. A little friendly customer service could have easily smoothed things over but we sure didn't experience any if that. Would never go back.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Dave5619
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Positive points- the grounds, the location, plenty of parking.
Negatives-.reception staff- bored and disinterested, water stains on ceiling, horrible coffee in room, out of date bathroom, no shaving socket, shower head doesn't detach from shower stand so you struggle to wash your hair, tiny room, carpets in hallway dirty - noise from a wedding party (should be warned at time of booking)

Generally a poor performance for a 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel